Sailing with food allergies on the Navigator

HeidiHo

We are sailing on the Navigator this Saturday. It is our first time on Royal Caribbean. One member of our party has some food allergies. Her main concern is lunch on embarkation day. She is concerned about eating in the buffet. Will there be any other options for lunch besides the buffet open for lunch. My thinking is that if a restaurant or dining room is open for lunch that day, that would be a better option than the buffet. Or is there someone like a manager in the buffet area she could talk to before eating?

She will be visiting the Maitre d' regarding the dining room menu for the rest of the cruise but if anyone has any suggestions for embarkation lunch, that would be great.

Thanks!

We are sailing on the Navigator this Saturday. It is our first time on Royal Caribbean. One member of our party has some food allergies. Her main concern is lunch on embarkation day. She is concerned about eating in the buffet. Will there be any other options for lunch besides the buffet open for lunch. My thinking is that if a restaurant or dining room is open for lunch that day, that would be a better option than the buffet. Or is there someone like a manager in the buffet area she could talk to before eating?

She will be visiting the Maitre d' regarding the dining room menu for the rest of the cruise but if anyone has any suggestions for embarkation lunch, that would be great.

Thanks!

Cafe Promenade is open for lunch.

It's a good idea to contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] in advance to inform the cruise line of dietary restrictions.

Yes, she should complete the special needs form. Each time she chooses to eat in the Windjammer Café (buffet) she should have the chef walk her around the various stations to determine what she can eat. It works well. The chef is used to doing this and this is Royal's recommended procedure for those with food allergies. I've done this on all recent cruises for the Windjammer hot food items, especially midday lunch. Royal works to accommodate those with food intolerances and allergies. Your friend should allow extra time if she requests a special order item in the Windjammer. My experience has been ten to twenty minutes. I tend to choose from what's already offered.

Cafe Promenade is open for lunch.

It's a good idea to contact Special Needs at [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse] in advance to inform the cruise line of dietary restrictions.

That has already been done.

Yes, she should complete the special needs form. Each time she chooses to eat in the Windjammer Café (buffet) she should have the chef walk her around the various stations to determine what she can eat. It works well. The chef is used to doing this and this is Royal's recommended procedure for those with food allergies. I've done this on all recent cruises for the Windjammer hot food items, especially midday lunch. Royal works to accommodate those with food intolerances and allergies. Your friend should allow extra time if she requests a special order item in the Windjammer. My experience has been ten to twenty minutes. I tend to choose from what's already offered.

Thank you for letting me know that the chef will walk around with you. I called RCI special needs and asked if there was someone at the buffet she could see but the response I got was that she should avoid the buffet altogether. that's why I asked here. I knew there would be people with experience in this type of thing.

I was just recently on Navigator.

My friend that was with me is HIGHLY allergic to anything with dairy.(the base protein to it basically, even non-dairy creamer has it)

They where VERY accommodating to his allergy, they have a chef that is normally over looking the stations all the time. Even on-top of that the chef on a few times went back and made him something fresh with no dairy.

Either it being eggs or a special sauce, they did their best.

In the main dining room, they even have chef appointed just to people with allergies, and will even make special deserts for them if desired.

My friend was very impressed with RC and his allergy.