Tell me its worth it :)

AlmostToTheFun

So me and DH are going back and forth on our next cruise. It will be in November with our 3 kids who will be 3,5 and 7. The 2 options we are down to are

1. Carnival Esctasy, 5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

2. Carnival Sunshine, 7 days to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

I really, really want the second. But it will be almost twice the price. I need someone to tell me its worth it. I want the Sunshine because I think I will enjoy all destinations more. (We did Nassau last year on Fantasy and I didn't leave feeling like I had to go back, but I did enjoy it. And our Freeport was unfortunately cancelled because Fog). It will be right between quarters at ODD school so it wont effect her first quarter and she will have plenty of time to catch up the second. The ship has more to do and places to eat. A better splash area for the kids. And it just seems more exciting.

So someone please tell me that I should go with the second option :). Or if you think that its not worth it you can tell me that too. DH doesnt think we should spend that much but I know I can talk him into it without too much resistance.

If the 7-day is twice the price, why not do the 5-day b2b - that will give you 10 days of cruising versus 7 days. Just a thought.

So me and DH are going back and forth on our next cruise. It will be in November with our 3 kids who will be 3,5 and 7. The 2 options we are down to are

1. Carnival Esctasy, 5 days to Half Moon Cay and Nassau.

2. Carnival Sunshine, 7 days to Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

I really, really want the second. But it will be almost twice the price. I need someone to tell me its worth it. I want the Sunshine because I think I will enjoy all destinations more. (We did Nassau last year on Fantasy and I didn't leave feeling like I had to go back, but I did enjoy it. And our Freeport was unfortunately cancelled because Fog). It will be right between quarters at ODD school so it wont effect her first quarter and she will have plenty of time to catch up the second. The ship has more to do and places to eat. A better splash area for the kids. And it just seems more exciting.

So someone please tell me that I should go with the second option :). Or if you think that its not worth it you can tell me that too. DH doesnt think we should spend that much but I know I can talk him into it without too much resistance.

Personally I think you are looking at apples and oranges. If it were us and the Sunshine fit our budget (no matter how much Esctasy was) we would choose the Sunshine. 1) newer/remodeled ship 2) more things for kids 3) better itinerary and 4) longer cruise.

Edited by Warm Breezes

The second option.

If you take the first option, you will not have as much fun ... which means it's not really a "bargain" after all. IF you were taking several vacations per year, then ok, go for the first option ... but my feeling is that this is "the one" big vacation you are taking ... so why not get "the best" you can with regard to a bigger, better ship and MUCH better itinerary. After all, you are creating MEMORIES here. You will never have your kids on vacation at these ages again. They grow so fast.

Based on everything you have said ... it seems the only thing you can do is book the second cruise. If you go with the first one you will regret it, guaranteed.

Hope this helps!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

On the Sunshine on embarkation day most people don't know that you can use the seating in the Havana Bar. Its all the way back on the Lido deck. You can bring in your food from the buffets inside there is a Mongolian BBQ (that people haven't found yet either) and Italian. There is also a small counter by the bar with Cuban appetizers.

There is plenty of room where you can get your family seated and take turns taking the children to find the food they want.

I did a search on Carnival's web site, but couldn't find a 5-day on the Ecstasy in November. Where did you find it? Are you sure that's the right ship?

The one I an looking at starts the weekend after thanksgiving and is out of the SC port. Saw on carnival website.

On the Sunshine on embarkation day most people don't know that you can use the seating in the Havana Bar. Its all the way back on the Lido deck. You can bring in your food from the buffets inside there is a Mongolian BBQ (that people haven't found yet either) and Italian. There is also a small counter by the bar with Cuban appetizers.

There is plenty of room where you can get your family seated and take turns taking the children to find the food they want.

Thank you for the advice. I really think we are going to do Sunshine. I looked at some of the 7 day cruises from other ports and the prices are close to what the sunshine will be. Although it is still higher. With the port being so much closer it will be worth it. And I definitely think the ports will all work out well with my kids.

Is your family a "ship" family or a "port" family? We are scheduled for a cruise this summer and have only been on one other, but I know that we tend to be more on the "port" side of things. Neither ship we have done or will do is new, so perhaps for us, it's more that we don't know what we are missing with a better ship. We are super excited about the ports we are doing this summer, though.

All that to say that I agree that the ports on the seven day sound better, and that is what I'd lean towards. You get HMC for both cruises anyway, so the difference in ports at least is Nassau versus Amber Cover and Grand Turk. You said you didn't love Nassau, so to me, that would also be a huge consideration. Throw in the ship consideration and it does sound like the 7 day cruise is the better deal, even if it is more $$.

Maybe Norwegian if kids sail free or MSC would be cheaper and better. :)

Okay so I now have another option that I am strongly considering thanks to your I went to NCL tonight to look around. A 7 day on the Norwegian escape going to St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau. Also free drinks for me and DH. With their 3rd and 4th cruisers sail free it will make it almost the exact cost of sunshine but on super new ship. I just did a hold while o research NCL (I literally know nothing about anything but carnival) and talk to DH.

Edited by AlmostToTheFun

Okay so I now have another option that I am strongly considering thanks to your I went to NCL tonight to look around. A 7 day on the Norwegian escape going to St. Thomas, Tortola and Nassau. Also free drinks for me and DH. With their 3rd and 4th cruisers sail free it will make it almost the exact cost of sunshine but on super new ship. I just did a hold while o research NCL (I literally know nothing about anything but carnival) and talk to DH.

From someone who has only sailed Carnival, go with the NCL Escape! That ship looks so spectacular. There are a few things that Carnival will be better on (food quality on the free items & dancing waiters in the dining room), but the Escape just seems like it has so many more advantages. You get even better waterslides, plus what looks to be a better ropes course, plus much much better entertainment. One of those big NCL ships could be what gets me back into cruising sooner rather than later.

I would have definitely picked the Sunshine over a fantasy class ship. However, this new NCL choice makes me change my vote. I would do that just because Tortola is on my list of ports I want to visit and Carnival doesn't appear to ever go there (of if they do it is not often).

I would choose NCL Escape but I wouldn't hold off too long. I have been watching prices between NCL Getaway and CCL Dream for the same week in May but different embarkation ports and itineraries, both 7 days, since July. I got sick in August and have been unable to book until I get doctors clearance. But I am hopeful and kept watching prices. Since I started watching the prices the CCL Dream cruise has gone down slightly in price and the NCL Getaway has gone up by over $1000. The total price started out within a hundred dollars of each other (with us using a FCC on NCL for $250)both with 2 inside rooms. If you wait too much you may see a striking difference in prices at any moment.

The higher price is about the amenities aboard and the age of the ship. You have 3 kids - the Sunshine has a good sized water park and 2 levels of ropes courses for them to experience. More places for eats on a larger ship as well like Guy's Burgers and the taco bar.

If you go to Carnival's site and click Explore-Our ships then scroll to Sunshine and click on it you'll get a good view looking down on the Sunshine's top deck with those amenities.