I thought Gratuities were Automatic?

3dogmom

I'm sailing on the Anthem for the first time this October. I have Dynamic (MTD) and my parents have Dynamic Classic 1. We both do not have gratuities added into our invoice.

The onboard rep said you do not prepay, however searching and reading through the boards, it sounds like they are.:confused:

I'd prefer to pay mine upfront. Can this be done by calling C&A and hopefully getting a knowledgeable rep?:rolleyes:

I'm sailing on the Anthem for the first time this October. I have Dynamic (MTD) and my parents have Dynamic Classic 1. We both do not have gratuities added into our invoice.

The onboard rep said you do not prepay, however searching and reading through the boards, it sounds like they are.:confused:

I'd prefer to pay mine upfront. Can this be done by calling C&A and hopefully getting a knowledgeable rep?:rolleyes:

You can call whoever booked your cruise and add prepaid gratuities.

Royal no longer requires prepaid gratuties for any dining choice.

Really?! WOW....had no idea!

I booked on-board, so I ASSUME C&A can add them for me.

You can pre paid gratuities. It in your cruise planners. Got to look for it. If the TA booked it for you , she probably miss \understood you. Pre Paid gratuities is not just dining time, it for room attendance and some other crews member inside the pool. Also you can give more to the crews member specially for those who gave you the outstanding performance.

Aren't tips automatically added to your account at the time of the cruise, then settled at the end? What is the advantage to pre-paying? Is there a discount? I'm confused.

Gratuities used to be added directly to your invoice so you would pay them ahead of time.

As Clarea stated; "Royal no longer requires prepaid gratuities for any dining choice." This was news to me. There's no discount for pre-paying, but the advantage to me is to just have them paid for ahead of time so I don't have to come home with an extra amount added to my Sea Pass account.

Aren't tips automatically added to your account at the time of the cruise, then settled at the end? What is the advantage to pre-paying? Is there a discount? I'm confused.

Tips are automatically added daily to the onboard account.

One advantage to pre-paying is that if the price goes up after tips are added to your booking, you won't have to pay the increase. Other than that, it's psychological. I'd rather pay onboard to use OBC.

no one is required to pre pay any longer. if you want to do so, you just add that option to your reservation. and yes that means you can call if you like. no one will tell you you cannot give them money up front.

since I consider it part of the cruise fare I'd rather pre pay in installments prior to boarding so my bill at the end isn't quite so heart attack inducing.

Ok thanks. It makes sense to pay in advance if the amount may go up, but otherwise, why give an interest free loan? Personal finance 101. Never pay until you have to, unless there's some financial advantage in doing so.

My previous cruises have been as you all say, with tips added to onboard account. so it hasn't changed it seems.

Thanks, Bob! I was a bit worried about this, since only MTD was available for Allure, which we booked this week. I did not want any snag about gratuities to cost us this cruise. :)

We also like to pay with OBC.