Quebec car rental agency near port

Will be arriving in Quebec City on Norwegian Jewel on Wednesday, October 26 and was thinking about renting a car to explore the surrounding countryside. Are there car rental agencies near where the ship docks? Any suggestions for beautiful scenery to explore outside of Quebec City area? Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I believe Avis and Budget are approximately a 15 - 20 minute walk from the terminal. The walk is uphill though and you need to be in good shape to make it. If you make arrangements with Avis ahead of time they will pick you up and drop you off at the terminal.

• 1 month later...

"I believe Avis and Budget are approximately a 15 - 20 minute walk from the terminal. The walk is uphill though and you need to be in good shape to make it. If you make arrangements with Avis ahead of time they will pick you up and drop you off at the terminal."

Avis is in the Hilton Quebec. At least 20 min walking uphill. Hertz is at 44 Cote du Palais in the Hotel Manoir Victoria (I was born at 50, Côte du Palais, please say hi to my parents for me ;-) !) which is 15 min uphill. Across the street there is a small Budget office at 29, Cote du Palais.

Alamo and National are both at 542 Boulevard Charest Est which is 20 minutes away but has the advantage of being flat walking all the time (in Quebec you arrive at the port in the "basse-ville" and most of the city is constructed in "la haute-ville" i.e. uptown.) So there is almost always some uphill walking in my city.

Discount is at 12, rue Ste-Anne. They're the closest to the port. Still walking uphill but you cannot find closer than that...Their website is www.discountquebec.com. The phone # to join the Quebec office directly is (418) 655-2206. That's not the booking office but the office on rue Ste-Anne.Their ad says "we'll pick you up" so I gave them a call to check and yes as soon as you disembark you call them and they'll pick you up.

But IMO it's not worth the wait since it's really a short 10min stroll. You just go up Cote de La Montagne from the port and turn left on rue du Fort at the top of the hill. You'll see the Chateau Frontenac (rent Alfred Hitchcock's movie "I confess" before coming to Quebec City, it was shot in Quebec when my mother was a teen). Rue Ste-Anne is the small street on the right. The guy says the counter is in a white house that says "information touristique". That could be handy too. I really think Discount is the most convenient to the port. I assumed, though, that you'll disembark right at the foot of Cote de la Montagne since that's where big ships like the QM2 usually docks. Check www.mapquest.com to be sure.

Hope this helps. Enjoy our city.

Pascale

• 7 years later...
I wonder if someone could update above info from 2005. Looking to rent a car near the pier at the end of my Vaandam cruise. I looked at Discount's website, it is not listing any 12 rue st. Anne

Thanks,

looks like they have a pick up at the Chateau Laurier hotel ..near the old town

http://www.discountcar.com/

thank you for the input. I believe the closest rental car lot is Hertz, at 44 Cote due Palais, Tel 4186941224. about 1km from the pier.

Unfortunately, I have to go to airport to p/u a rental car, b/c I need one way rental (a lot more expensive on any other sites). Now, is there a public bus from pier directly to airport?

I think you are out of luck.

Here is the English website for the bus system. It does not seem to mention the airport: http://www.rtcquebec.ca/NewCustomer/NewCustomer/tabid/272/Default.aspx

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155025-i50-k5322924-From_the_airport_to_old_Quebec_city-Quebec.html

Thanks for your helpful info as usual, MaryAnn.

Archived