Juneau or Icy Straight for whale watching tour for 06

Majesty Fan

My family and I are sailing on the Vision of the Seas to Alaska next summer. I have done Alaska before and did the Whale Watching with Capt Larry we had a good time. We are going to Icy straight too and they have a whale watch thing too. I was wondering which port had the better one.

Lexi

Both are excellent humpback areas. Go where your time fits in best. Hoonah is a gem, so leave some time to see the cannery and sights, very very interesting and unique port. If you do go whale watching here, independents offer a better tour with more time.

I have to warn you though, the Vision is absolute the worse ship for front viewing, there isn't any unless you are at least 5'8".

In my opinion, Icy Strait is superior to Juneau for humpbacks. The feeding is great in Icy Strait and attracts many more whales than Juneau. I have never been disappointed with the "whale action" and always see great wildlife in Icy Strait (including an all white bald eagle this summer)

• 2 weeks later...

Bidget queen you mentioned something about independent tours for whale watching at Icy Strait ... ?? do you have deatils of a web site or contact for such would be great to have we are travelling may 8th 2006

If you do a search under Hoonah, Alaska fishing and whalewatching tours, you should get four or five operators. There are not many private vendors in Hoonah, since there are only 850 residents on the island and most work for the tribal company that runs the port. We did the ship tour last year and it took most of our day since it was a 3.5 hr tour then. It has been shortened and I think they are doing two tours a day now at about 2 hrs, allowing some time to see rest of Hoonah.

Majesty Fan....what date are you on Vision? DH and I are on her May 19.

Budget Queen....good thing I am 5'9"....LOL! We have a corner aft cabin, but know that we will want to take in the forward view as well.

Majesty Fan....what date are you on Vision? DH and I are on her May 19.

Budget Queen....good thing I am 5'9"....LOL! We have a corner aft cabin, but know that we will want to take in the forward view as well.

Sorry but the front viewing from the Vision still stinks, just terrible, 5'9" will have you just over the top viewing, not good for looking for marine wildlife or close up to the glaciers looking down.

Archived