How Much Do You Usually Tip Porters???

mjmcgove

I do $10 when we drop off for 4 bags and $20/25 for after the cruise. It usually takes longer going through Customs.

We usually do $10 or $20...

by the way, really pays to get a porter when going through JFK / trying to make a connection to a domestic flight after flying in on an international flight. The porter will take you to the front of the line, which helps if you have a tight connection time.

I tip them nothing. They are well paid hourly union workers. If the average tip per set of bags is $5 and many people tip more and the porters do 15 bag sets per hours (they only have to lug the bags a few feet), this means that they are making $75 per hour plus their union mandated salary. Do you make $75 per hour? So far I have never had a bag end up in the water or on another ship in spite of the dire warning posted by many CC members.

BTW - most of the heavy work is done by ship crew getting the luggage to your room once the overpaid over tipped porters get the luggage on the ship.

DON

Edited by donaldsc