Stateroom Upgrades

MulletGutts

Hello friends ,

So a friend of mine, who is cruising with us got an email from Carnival offering her an upgraded stateroom for an additional $85/night. She is currently booked into an internal room on deck 8 with no outside views whatsoever. She was offered an upgrade to a balcony room. Does anybody here know what the chances are of her being upgraded to "worse" room (balcony with obstructed views, or the like)? Does Carnival do these "upgrades" for any particular reason? What are the chances that she would be moved to a completely different level of the ship (say deck 8 all the way down to deck 4, for example)?

I only ask, because I wouldn't want her to get shafted by Carnival for their gain and her loss.

Cheers in advance

Dave

P.S. While I do realise that an upgrade is an upgrade no matter how you look at it, I just wouldn't like it if she found her first cruise to be a disappointment because she thought she was getting a good upgrade deal only to find that the "upgrade" is as bad, or worse than what she originally booked.

Cheers again.

Edited by MulletGutts

Hello friends ,

So a friend of mine, who is cruising with us got an email from Carnival offering her an upgraded stateroom for an additional $85/night. She is currently booked into an internal room on deck 8 with no outside views whatsoever. She was offered an upgrade to a balcony room. Does anybody here know what the chances are of her being upgraded to "worse" room (balcony with obstructed views, or the like)? Does Carnival do these "upgrades" for any particular reason? What are the chances that she would be moved to a completely different level of the ship (say deck 8 all the way down to deck 4, for example)?

I only ask, because I wouldn't want her to get shafted by Carnival for their gain and her loss.

Cheers in advance

Dave

P.S. While I do realise that an upgrade is an upgrade no matter how you look at it, I just wouldn't like it if she found her first cruise to be a disappointment because she thought she was getting a good upgrade deal only to find that the "upgrade" is as bad, or worse than what she originally booked.

Cheers again.

That seems like a very expensive upgrade offer, I would do a mock booking and see if it is a deal or not.

That seems like a very expensive upgrade offer, I would do a mock booking and see if it is a deal or not.

Expensive? I would have thought that $85 per night to upgrade from a interior to a balcony was a good deal. seems I was was mistaken. Thanks for the tip.

Just looking at the Carnival website, you guys may actually be right. $85/night for an upgrade does appear a rather steep. I hadn't really calculated it until now. ($899 for an interior room vs. a balcony room for $1099). That would make a balcony room $1949!!! $1099+(85*10) =$1949.

Maybe it was an upgrade for a total of $85. Does that sound better? I'll get in touch with her, check and get back to y'all.

Thanks everyone so far with the replies.

Cheers

Dave.

I agree, it seems high, we need more info.

Ship

Sailing date

It also might depend what ship she was on.

Hello friends ,

So a friend of mine, who is cruising with us ...

Looking at the OP's signature, he's slated to sail on the Legend February 26, and with the OP's quote it sounds like the friend is on the same sailing.

I frequently browse CC from the app and don't see the inline signatures, but I happened to be on my computer with signatures enabled this time :)

Hello friends ,

Cheers in advance

Dave

Cheers again.

There is no such thing as an obstructed view from a balcony. If it is a balcony room the most obstruction of the view could be if you're immediately above the lifeboats. I don't know that it would be worth $85 per night since depending upon what you paid for the original room that would be a pretty high price.

Edited by Jana60

Looking at the OP's signature, he's slated to sail on the Legend February 26, and with the OP's quote it sounds like the friend is on the same sailing.

I frequently browse CC from the app and don't see the inline signatures, but I happened to be on my computer with signatures enabled this time :)

Wow, that cruise is a 10 day out of Sydney Australia! I have no idea how they do their pricing or what the usual prices are in Australia!