Ideas of what to do in Tortola

beachgirl937

We will be stopping in Tortola on our cruise - me, my two boys (11 & 9) and my mom. What do you suggest we do while on our stop in Tortola? We are active people. I'm thinking snorkeling somewhere but where is the best place to go to see great ocean life? Any other ideas?

What do you like about Brewers Bay? Is the snorkeling good? And I'm assuming that its beach snorkeling? What else is there to do there? Are the Baths anywhere near there? I just don't want my kids to get bored. Do they have snorkel equipment to rent there?

Brewers is a small bay with good snorkeling off the beach and ususally not too busy, but really nothing there of any interest other than Nicole's Beach Bar.

The Baths, on the other hand, are a unique experience and more an adventure for sure. They are a formation of boulders that are strewn along the beach on the island of Virgin Gorda and you make your way through them and there is a nice beach there, the kids may enjoy that more than a quiet beach. There is snorkeling nearby, and you can also snorkel at nearby Spring Bay. But I believe you'd need to bring snorkel gear if going to the Baths.

How long are you in port? If you can have at least a few hours (more is better) ferrying to Virgin Gorda on your own and taking a taxi to the Baths is a nice day. It's a 30 minute ferry and 10 minute taxi each way.

You can also take advantage of some excellent daysails, some going to the Baths, and others that are more for snorkeling. For example Aristocat Charters and Kuralu offer cat sails to Norman Island and the Indians which are great snorkeling stops for snorkeling off the boat, with a stop at Marina Cay (Pusser's Pub) or Cooper Island Restaurant for lunch. A neat part of that for the kids is listening to the captain talk about the pirates and Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island (Norman).

But it really depends on your time in port and the level of activity you want. Brewers is easy, while the Baths or a daysail more to do. For a beach day with no snorkeling and a busier vibe for the kids Cane Garden Bay is the spot.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Escape in May are our port time is 7am-3pm. That doesn't make for a very long day- I'll have to be pushing our party of 9 off the ship early! We were thinking of doing a charter for snorkeling/sailing- I'm just worried about the time (and the expense) of doing a charter $1200 since we'll really have to be heading back to the ship by 1:30 I would think. Any thoughts? Does anyone else have this early port time? I'm afraid the Baths are going to be packed. It seems like that's what everyone is leaning toward.

We're also on the Escape, the first week of June, and have similar questions. I did a bunch of research the last few nights and it seems like the best solution for Tortola, if going to see the Baths, is to rally your troops and catch the first ferry possible early in the morning. That way you can beat the people on your own cruise (and others) that will have a tour and then go to the Baths. The earlier you can get there, the less crowded it will be.

From what I read, the first ferry from Speedy's is 7:45am. There are other ferries too, and supposedly you get accosted as you walk towards the terminal by vendors that will take you right there. People said reservations aren't necessary and I believe you can pay for the ferry via credit card or cash.

For those on the Escape, can you IM me and let me know if you've discovered anything special to do in St Thomas and if you're doing Atlantis on your own or via the cruise?

We're also on the Escape, the first week of June, and have similar questions. I did a bunch of research the last few nights and it seems like the best solution for Tortola, if going to see the Baths, is to rally your troops and catch the first ferry possible early in the morning. That way you can beat the people on your own cruise (and others) that will have a tour and then go to the Baths. The earlier you can get there, the less crowded it will be.

From what I read, the first ferry from Speedy's is 7:45am. There are other ferries too, and supposedly you get accosted as you walk towards the terminal by vendors that will take you right there. People said reservations aren't necessary and I believe you can pay for the ferry via credit card or cash.

For those on the Escape, can you IM me and let me know if you've discovered anything special to do in St Thomas and if you're doing Atlantis on your own or via the cruise?

Jeremy with longer port times folks can manage their time and plan their day with a driver on Virgin Gorda to avoid the biggest crowds at the Baths by taking advantage of alternate ferries. But with your short port time of 7 - 3 you are not able to plan your day to avoid the biggest crowd at the Baths. So just go on your own if you want that or consider seeing beautiful Tortola instead.

You will not be "accosted" by locals as you walk to the ferry terminal. There are a few private outfits that do offer tours, but actually Tortolians are much more reserved than most of the folks coming off the ships who can be very embarrassing. When we stay on Tortola we make a point of dressing casually but respectfully and the locals do appreciate visitors to their home making that effort.

Enjoy your day whatever day you choose. :)

How do I get there? Are they good about getting you back in time? Is Spring Bay walking distance to the Baths to snorkel?

You will find tons of info on getting to Virgin Gorda just below your thread. With your longer port time you can take advantage of alternate ferries from Speedy's and Smith's to get the most time on VG for only $10 more per person. You can work with a driver to plan your day, and SB is within walking distance of the Top of the Baths, the driver will advise you when to meet back at the Top.

Edited by blue_water