Room guarantee

BandM

I think it's extremely rare to be upgraded to any category above mini suite for free. There are only suites above the mini category. The price differential is significant. It's possible to be offered an upsell (a purchased upgrade at a discount from the actual rate difference) but even that can't be counted on. The most likely scenario for a mini guarantee is an upgrade to a "better" cabin within the mini category.

We also have the guaranteed mini suite for the Escape cruise. It says they can't even guarantee if the view will be partially or fully obstructed. Let's hope we get a full view of the ocean!

There is no such thing as partially or fully obstructed mini-suite (or even balcony cabin) on any of NCL's ships.

You might have lifeboat or other ship structure (like outside promenade) under the cabin when looking down, but nothing will obstruct the view when looking out to the sea.

Edited by Demonyte

I asked almost the exact same question about a week ago, you can check out the responses here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2306272

I do believe, like above, it's unlikely that you'd get upgraded to a suite for free but you very well may get a call for an upsell (or you can call yourself) and you might be able to get a suite for a small additional cost.

I booked a GTY inside and got a category IB which was probably the best case scenario without getting an upgrade to an OV or balcony. We're still going to try for an upsell to a better room if the price is reasonable.

Also, keep a close eye on prices for your cruise, if any of the higher categories drop to equal or below what you paid, you can call and try to get moved to the better room - unlikely with suites as they seem to jump quite significantly in price and sell out quickly, but you never know. Weirder things have happened.

There is no such thing as partially or fully obstructed mini-suite (or even balcony cabin) on any of NCL's ships.

You might have lifeboat or other ship structure (like outside promenade) under the cabin when looking down, but nothing will obstruct the view when looking out to the sea.

I don't know if what you posted is accurate when it comes to the Escape since I do not have first-hand knowledge of that ship. However, here's what it says in NCL.com's description for a Mini-Suite Guarantee for the Escape:

Guarantee Mini-Suite

A Guarantee stateroom (GTY) guarantees a Mini-Suite stateroom or better! Please note that the view from your balcony may be fully obstructed or partially obstructed. Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation.