Has anyone only planned 1 excursion?

CarolNJ

Hi,

Hubby and I are going on our 3rd cruise in 2 weeks. For our other 2 cruises, we were doing excursions and running around all week.

We thought this time we would only do one excursion. Has anyone ever done this? Were you bored?

The last cruise we went on, we only booked one excursion, and that was parasailing in Labadee. We were glad we had not booked anything in Grand Cayman that trip because the weather was not the best. Ocho Rios is not worth going into, and in Cozumel we took a buggy ride around the island and it was fantastic! We found the driver, horse and buggy at the pier.

Nobody can gaurantee that you won't be bored, but how anybody can be bored on a cruise is beyond me!

Hi,

Hubby and I are going on our 3rd cruise in 2 weeks. For our other 2 cruises, we were doing excursions and running around all week.

We thought this time we would only do one excursion. Has anyone ever done this? Were you bored?

On some cruises, especially if we have been to the ports previously, we have booked one and in some instances no excursions. On some occasions we may get off and go to a beach on our own, while other times, we stay onboard and enjoy the peace and solitude. It is especially nice to have the solarium almost all to ourselves. Never bored and after having run ourselves ragged on some port intensive cruises, it is nice sometimes to just veg out. That was the case on our Brilliance transatlantic in 2002 which sailed from Harwich,England to Boston, MA with no stops enroute. Of course we had spent a busy six days before the cruise seeing the sights in London and Paris, so the cruise (with five 25hour days) was a refreshing change of pace.

If you don't see any excursions that appeal to you, don't feel obligate to sign up for any. You shouldn't need a vacation to rest up from your vacation.

:)

Hi,

Don't worry about what other people have done. It's your vacation - you make the decisions. If you want to do five excursions or none, it's your call. Enjoy!

Hi,

You did say you were going with your hubby, I bet you could think of something to do, ;) if you get bored!!!

My parents planned one for their Alaska cruise & had a terrific time. I'm not sure if they did any when they did the Eastern Caribbean. Once again, great time. They like to explore on their own.

While we had lots of excursions planned for Alaska, they were short enough that we still had time to do some things on our own.

Barb

Hi,

We haven't booked a shore excursion in years and tend to just try to find a nice beach for the day. On our Empress of the Seas cruise last week we didn't even think about it. I think I could have stayed on the ship for the whole cruise (it was that good) and been just fine.

We DID do a shore excursion once in Grand Cayman, the Atlantis Sub ride. Hard to do that one on your own. Here, watch this video of it and save your money

:D

On the other hand, when visiting a port for the first time, our idea of a shore excursion is to hire a cab for the day to show us the place

"Only one" excursion would be a LOT to me!

I have not done it, yet. On our cruise (A WEEK FROM TODAY!!!!!!!!!! you can't tell I am happy about this can you?) we are only doing one shore excursion, in St. Thomas and only part of the day. I have seen Nassau before, many times, and we thought we would just wander around and show the boys another culture. In St. Martin we are going to go shopping in the morning on our own then head over to Orient Beach in a cab. I really did not see a reason to do an excursion there. I really am anti "Pile everyone into a bus and see the island" tour groups. Some people love them but I am an overplanner who, once she is actually at her destination, is pretty spontanious. I read the heck out of everthing I can get my hands on and then do what appeals to me and mine.

booled one in cozumel to the ruins and smoe snnorkeling; as we are pressed for time and wanted to be sure that we got back to the ship we decided to take the guesswork out of the equation. since we are first time cruisers we may be too cautious too find a tour when we land....just have some fun..what the heck!

We only have one excursion planned for our Western Carri. trip. It's to the Ruins, and with being a seven hr tour, I don't want the rest of my time being used up with running around. We love to relax, so we usually pick one major excursion, and just take the rest as it comes.;)

Good morning Nancy! I see that you post an awful lot and saw that you noted that you are going on a cruise next week? on navigator? this is our first cruise and we are really in the dark about things. can you help a little? thank youuuuuuuuuu

Good morning Nancy! I see that you post an awful lot and saw that you noted that you are going on a cruise next week? on navigator? this is our first cruise and we are really in the dark about things. can you help a little? thank youuuuuuuuuu

Hey Amy,

Actgually I am heading off on the Mariner of the Seas rather than the Navigator. Anything you want to know. I see you mailed me too and I will be happy to chat in e-mail! :)

This is mine and my daughter's first cruise. I am booking one for us, through the lines as it is our first and I want to be safe. It will be one at Ocho Rios, one that has a variety of events, a couple that I can do and a couple that she will enjoy (the Falls and a beach). I can sit out and wait (in other words, REST) and then finish up with some shopping. I hope I can do the shopping. :)

I figure if it gets too much for me, I can get a cab to take me back to the ship.

If we were experienced cruisers, we would plan something on our own, but new to this, I am not taking any chances.

Do what feels right for you. Only you know how much you want to see and how to see it.

For us, I've been in Canada a couple of times, my daughter, never out of the states. A thrill for us to see another part of the world.

Some day, it will be Ireland, no matter what! ! ! !

Jly

I found that very often you can find cheaper tours right in the port. Also if we visited port more than once we don't usually book anything, just walk around, maybe visit some shops (not much) and take pictures.

Archived