Dance classes

annbarker23

Have had classes both day and evening with the type of dance varying depending on the itinerary. There are quiet areas and spaces for practice depending on the ship. The staff worked things out for dancers to use the main stage some mornings on the Connie last year.

On the Summit's Southern Caribbean itinerary dance class was only held once, during the trip's single sea day. Two of the ship's dancers ran the class and taught east coast swing. The lessons were surprisingly good for cruise ship lessons - a lot more explanation and a lot less "watch me and do what I'm doing" than I expected - and proceeded at a pace was extremely appropriate for a beginner class.

Lounges were usually available during the day, though it was not uncommon for other people to be wandering through so don't expect a private practice space. Generally any of the lounges should work so long as an activity isn't scheduled there, and be aware that you'll probably get some questions from other passengers (my first cruise with RCCL I was studying for my associate rhythm certification. The first day people were asking me what I was doing every two minutes, but by the third day people just waved as they went past me to the bar).

Main thing to be aware of is dance floors are small, and often rubber (yes, really). Don't expect to do standard with full swing, or full extensions in smooth, rhythm, or Latin. But by all means, pack your dance shoes and have fun.