are Mexican Riviera cruises rougher than caribbean?

JBuffettPH

We are thinking of doing a Mexican Reivera cruise from LA in late november early December. I'veheard rom some that the waters can be rougher in this part of the world than say the caribbean. Can anyone who has been on a mexican riviera cruise let me knwo what they thought of how smooth/ rough the trip was?

Thanks

There's no possible way to predict that... The sea conditions depend on the weather conditions. I've been to all areas of the Caribbean and to the Mexican Riviera from L.A. several times each and in all of those areas it's been very smooth some times, a slight chop other times (not rough, but being a veteran of 50' seas on multiple occasions I define rough a lot differently than some people).

The only "problem" with the Mexican Riviera is that it's quite cold until you get south of Baja.

Oh, and don't worry if you're not into roller coaster rides. The 50' seas were in the North Atlantic, South Atlantic, and in the North Pacific east of Japan.

The Pacific Ocean can prove to be choppier because it is a wide open ocean. On the other hand, how can we forget that the last 2 great hurricanes in our country were spawned in the Caribbean. It just all depends.......

Been on many Car. cruises...went on our first Mexican one this past June. Now we've never been on a cruise in June either. But from what I've read on these boards, I've heard many say that it's the norm. for the water to be rougher in the Mex. Riviera. Weather will be cooler as well for you that time of the yr. If you're looking to go somewhere warm, I wouldn't get my hopes up then.

For us going, it didn't burn off til 1:00.....Cabo's waters were soooo rough, not a good place to snorkel. Coming home, we were in jeans and sweatshirts. Very chilly outside.

For US, we like the Caribbean too much to go back to the Mexican Riviera...I like warm blue water and it's much prettier. This is JMO though.

My Caribbean cruise was rougher on one night than any night on my two Mexican Riviera cruise, but the water is much, much warmer. I agree with the poster that said you never really know what the weather is going to be like on either side.

As far as the weather in December, it may be chilly in LA, but more than likely you will have nice weather in all of Mexico. We were there in December of last year and the weather in Cabo was 75 and in the 80's in both Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, which is the norm for that time of the year. Expect the water to be cold, if you are sensitive, perhaps too cold in Cabo to get any swimming in.

Have a great cruise. We are doing another Mexican Riviera over Spring Break and are really looking forward to it after our December cruise out of New Orleans was canceled.

We did a cruise from Barcelona, Spain to Los Angeles and the only rough seas we had were in the Caribbean. It was smooth all the way across the Atlantic and from the Canal to L.A. This was from late Nov to early Dec. (2002).... You just never know.

Archived