Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

The article said "will also" but that did not mean that it would be done today. I have not read anything saying this is being done immediately in Izmir and Mugla.

I did ask on another roll call about whether their stops in Kudasi were canceled. They leave on 4/15 and 4/25. I mentioned I was just curious and asking even though I am on another roll call. Someone thought I was starting a rumor. I cant win.

The way I read the article is, it is all happening simultaneously as we speak. I'm sure they have been moving people out before this was even written.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And there is the answer. Tendering it is. Thanks Limpit.

I vote for either Mykonos or Santorini if Izmir is dropped. Unfortunately, Carnival is not calling me and asking for my input.

Limpit, did you travel to Athens the day before or after Santorini or Mykonos? Just checking to see if time-wise, its possible. I assume Mykonos is but wasnt sure about Santorini.

We sailed from Kusadasi to Athens, however Google Maps details, Santorini to Athens Port is 9 hours sailing time and Mykonos is only just over 5 hours, so both within range

As I read it, the base outside of Izmir is small and not self-contained with personnel living off base, etc. If they pull US personnel from Southeast Turkey, there isn't a whole lot left for the Izmir baser to support. Probably just cost cutting.

You don't just uproot people from their lives for cost cutting. None of us can know what intelligence uncovered etc but to tell 600 people to pack and leave your home, isn't minor.

As I read it, the base outside of Izmir is small and not self-contained with personnel living off base, etc. If they pull US personnel from Southeast Turkey, there isn't a whole lot left for the Izmir baser to support. Probably just cost cutting.

They are pulling the US military and US government personnel out of SE Turkey not because of a cost cutting measures but because Americans are targets in that area. (Read the news).

I wonder if they would stop in Heraklion, Crete instead. I would be really sorry to lose Ephesus, but as long as they keep Rhodes and Malta I'll cope with my disappointment. But I hope it's not just a sea day.

I wonder if they would stop in Heraklion, Crete instead. I would be really sorry to lose Ephesus, but as long as they keep Rhodes and Malta I'll cope with my disappointment. But I hope it's not just a sea day.

Which cruise are you on? Ours stops in Crete already.

They are pulling the US military and US government personnel out of SE Turkey not because of a cost cutting measures but because Americans are targets in that area. (Read the news).

Izmir is not in SE Turkey. They are not pulling US military or government personnel. Izmir is an unaccompanied assignment for US Air Force personnel. It is an accompanied assignment for US Army Nato Land Command.

Izmir is not in SE Turkey. They are not pulling US military or government personnel. Izmir is an unaccompanied assignment for US Air Force personnel. It is an accompanied assignment for US Army Nato Land Command.

They ARE pulling US military and government out of Izmir. READ the article posted above. Its been posted again and again. Its a question of when and not if.

EDIT to add: Here's the article from CNN, 2nd paragraph. http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey/index.html?sr=twCNN032916pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey0424PMStoryLink&linkId=22836699

Edited by goldesq

Which cruise are you on? Ours stops in Crete already.

I'm on the 10-day from Athens (leaving Oct. 11). Maybe for those of you already stopping in Crete they could add Rhodes.

Edited by arolfe

I'm on the 10-day from Athens (leaving Oct. 11). Maybe for those of you already stopping in Crete they could add Rhodes.

We already stop in Rhodes as well. Haha

We must have a tad different itinerary.

Edited by Zionstorm

Can we get back to discussing the actual thread title and talk about if and when Izmir might be dropped. Might be time for the red triangle.

I would love to go to Izmir, but if Carnival makes the decision not to go, I will still be happy with the other great ports we will stop at on my 3 legs.

They ARE pulling US military and government out of Izmir. READ the article posted above. Its been posted again and again. Its a question of when and not if.

EDIT to add: Here's the article from CNN, 2nd paragraph. http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/29/politics/pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey/index.html?sr=twCNN032916pentagon-orders-military-families-to-leave-southern-turkey0424PMStoryLink&linkId=22836699

Family members. as in dependants. The military is not abandoning ship.

With the Vista's first sailing only slightly over a month away, Carnival needs to make some kind of announcement fairly soon.

I don't know the itinerary for the inaugural cruise, but the May 14 and May 24 sailings both have Izmir on the itinerary. If they are replacing or eliminating a port, they really should let those people on those sailings (myself included) know in the not too distant future.

Personally, I would rather be safe than sorry and while I was very much looking forward to Izmir, if they are pulling out the families of the military stationed at the air base in Izmir then I don't see how a ship full of American's should be stopping there. If it is just an order for Incirlik then that is a different story.

Not sure how they make it a sea day though - what are they going to do, drive the boat around in circles for 2 days until we port in Rhodes? It's not that far from Athens to Rhodes and they need to fill 2 full days.

Whatever happens, it is sure to be interesting!

With the Vista's first sailing only slightly over a month away, Carnival needs to make some kind of announcement fairly soon.

I don't know the itinerary for the inaugural cruise, but the May 14 and May 24 sailings both have Izmir on the itinerary. If they are replacing or eliminating a port, they really should let those people on those sailings (myself included) know in the not too distant future.

Personally, I would rather be safe than sorry and while I was very much looking forward to Izmir, if they are pulling out the families of the military stationed at the air base in Izmir then I don't see how a ship full of American's should be stopping there. If it is just an order for Incirlik then that is a different story.

Not sure how they make it a sea day though - what are they going to do, drive the boat around in circles for 2 days until we port in Rhodes? It's not that far from Athens to Rhodes and they need to fill 2 full days.

Whatever happens, it is sure to be interesting!

Definitely agree with you Carnival glabal security team should decide already, there are enough evidence what's going on and what's going to happen?

btw it is not trolling if i simply copy/paste articles from european news papers and new york times. Better be safe than sorry!

I'm not sure why the delays either. Maybe they are waiting to have an alternative planned locked down before announcing a cancellation.

CCL cancelled a Cozumel stop on a cruise once for us because of the swine flu, on the other side of Mexico...so yeah. Seems this should be an easy call. I don't think many people would fault the decision either, we just want a for sure answer one way or another.

Edited by Zionstorm

I'm not sure why the delays either. Maybe they are waiting to have an alternative planned locked down before announcing a cancellation.

CCL cancelled a Cozumel stop on a cruise once for us because of the swine flu, on the other side of Mexico...so yeah. Seems this should be an easy call. I don't think many people would fault the decision ether, we just want a for sure answer one way or another.

Santorini has an MSC ship in port the day our cruise would need to be re-routed, I am not sure they can handle more than 1 ship per day - does anyone know? Other than that there is Crete or maybe Mykonos? We already have Rhodes on the itinerary. I would just like to know if I am planning a new port.

I'm on the inaugural run in 30 days and are scheduled to visit Izmir in-between Athens and Crete. Until Carnival tells me otherwise, I'm planning on going to Izmir. If our roll call is any indication of the people on our cruise, it is clearly not a ship full of Americans as an extremely healthy dose of the population are from Europe. Nonetheless, I'm not going to armchair quarterback Carnival's actions as I'm quite positive they have a lot more information that I could ever glean off of CNN, MSNBC, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat or whatever source is out there. The last thing Carnival wants is to endanger their brand new $800 million ship or lose any passengers in rioting or terrorist attacks in Turkey or elsewhere.