Izmir dropped?

letsgo39

So is the 20%+ added on to Excursions purchased onboard?

And can you circumvent this by prepurchasing the excursions before the cruise?

I seriously doubt VAT is added to excursions. Excursions are land based activities and the provider will have already accounted for VAT in the price they charge Carnival.

Taken from a P&O post :

To understand the VAT charge you need to consider where the ship departs for goods and services consumed on-board, as that is the country that taxes, and for goods taken off, both the departure and arrival ports.

Italy only charges VAT on goods taken off, not services on-board. Spain charges for both. If there is a non-EU stop Italy doesn't charge, and Spain does only whilst docked in Spain.

Here's a link to an article about the VAT on European cruises.

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise-travel/insights/on-europe-cruises-getting-acquainted-with-vat

Thank you for this article.

Two quotes out of this article:

"The cruise in question was an Oceania Cruises voyage from Spain, which of all the European countries seems to enforce its version of VAT on cruise ships most vigorously."

And:

"Cruises that do a roundtrip itinerary from a Spanish port must charge the tax. Ships making a port of call in Spain are supposed to charge the tax while they are in port or in Spanish waters."

What if we depart from Greece, like we do on the 24th of May?

My cruise departs Spain and finishes in Greece, more complications lol

Because you depart from Spain, who enforces the rules the most vigorous, you probably have to pay the standard rate of 21% on goods bought onboard and the reduced rate of 10% on bar prices. For goods(you take home) you can ask for a refund if the amount on the bill exceed 130$.

As I can find it now Italy and Greece only enforce the VAT on goods that you will take home. Which are (as a rule of thumb) mostly rated at 22% for Italy and 23% for Greece. It seems Greece isn't enforcing the 13% VAT for goods(such as drinks) consumed on board.

Here is the explanation of the legislation, that doesn't make the explicit difference between goods consumed on board and taken off the ship:

The supply of goods is taxed at the place:

where the point of departure is, if supplied on board ships, aircraft or trains during the section of a passenger transport operation effected within the Community [Article 37 of the VAT Directive]

Example 8: Goods not to be consumed onboard, bought by a passenger during a Channel crossing are taxed in the UK when the ferry leaves Dover with Calais as destination and in France when leaving Calais to return to Dover.

Example 9: For goods sold to passengers taking a flight from Malaga to Heathrow, Spanish VAT will be charged. For the return flight, UK VAT will apply.

Example 10: A shop selling goods to passengers taking a cruise from Athens in Greece to Barcelona in Spain, stopping in Italy and France for short visits but allowing no embarkation or disembarkation of passengers; Greek VAT will apply.

Edited by loungerz

I received an official response from a CCL rep, they are looking into it and going to get back to me ASAP through Twitter DMs.

Although, if I was placing bets: I would go with the 21% on goods and 10% on bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Zionstorm

Since Carnival cancelled Izmir we now have to pay the crazy VAT tax on our cruise.

Is this when is port?

The whole cruise?

Why are we not going to a non EU country to avoid this?

This is unjust since we did not sign on for a cruise with VAT tax.

Will make an impact on my spending onboard.

What about excursions we already paid for?

We should have compensation for this extra charge.

Since Carnival cancelled Izmir we now have to pay the crazy VAT tax on our cruise.

Is this when is port?

The whole cruise?

Why are we not going to a non EU country to avoid this?

This is unjust since we did not sign on for a cruise with VAT tax.

Will make an impact on my spending onboard.

What about excursions we already paid for?

We should have compensation for this extra charge.

Well I knew that was coming.I'm sure you'll be one of those lined up at guest services.Suck it up buttercup.Life is just not fair.

Well I knew that was coming.I'm sure you'll be one of those lined up at guest services.Suck it up buttercup.Life is just not fair.

I have to agree I could see this coming to.

I'm hoping they don't cancel it off ours, don't want to pay the VAT, got stung with that on a mini I did back in Jan.

But I'll be more annoyed if I don't get to see Ephesus.

Funny how so many on here were going on about not wanting to go there, now they have their way they are still not happy.

Oh I can say it will be on everything bought on board, drinks, gifts, pictures etc.

Can't say it will be on Excursions as we did not take anything the ship did.

Oh a couple on here have mentioned travel insurance and missed / cancelled ports. My policy does not have the cruise addition so I looked at the wording on some that did. Ours is a annual policy and wondered if it was worth taking a single one out. Anyway in this case the couple I looked at would not pay out.

The port would have to be cancelled on route, ie weather and the like. If it's cancelled before we leave it's not covered.

If someone on here has a policy that will i'll be interested to know who it's with.

As I said I don't want to miss it but if we do then so be it, i'm sure Carnival will have thought long and hard about it and will have made the right decision, but i'll be sad on 2 accounts.

There are not a whole lot of non EU ports that are even logistically sailable with these itineraries or safe currently.

Some people are getting too worked up about this VAT issue. Nobody wants to dish out that extra cash but if you have an issue with it, cancel your booking and take the hit. Taxes exist around the entire world, it is what it is.

Also, if the ship is using USD, even with VAT you are breaking around even vs. using Euro or even worse the Pound...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Zionstorm

Here's what I am doing to avoid the tax: not spending a dime on board. We will now bring our own soda and our allotted 2 bottles of wine. We will forgo trying any of the new restaurants and will only watch the free movies on Lido and in our cabin. I will make any souvenir purchases only while on land where the VAT is included in the price of all items already.

I don't sail until Oct. 1 (B2B2B), so will just wait and see. If they have to cancel, it is what it is. I still feel very fortunate that I am healthy and have the means to still be able to do these cruises. I'm not a complainer, I just tend to take things in life as they come, especially if I have no control over it.

I don't usually spend a whole lot on board anyway and don't gamble, so if I have to pay an extra tax, I will just figure it into my budget. I had planned on getting a liter of alcohol from Bon Voyage, it may just be 2 now..LOL

Edited by crzndeb

Here's what I am doing to avoid the tax: not spending a dime on board. We will now bring our own soda and our allotted 2 bottles of wine. We will forgo trying any of the new restaurants and will only watch the free movies on Lido and in our cabin. I will make any souvenir purchases only while on land where the VAT is included in the price of all items already.

Good point and Advice! We can't have it both ways folks!!

If Izmir has been canceled on your cruise as it has been on mine (Inaugural Cruise), suck it up! Adhere to the advice given above and try to enjoy your already planned cruise.

First World problems!! G!!

I look at it this way - Carnival doesn't control world affairs, they are doing what is in the best interest of their crew and passengers. Yes, it means we will be subject to the VAT. So I will pay an extra $1 for a $10 drink. Since I am not a big drinker, that is not going to have a major effect on me. As to the rest, I am not a huge purchaser of on board goodies so I will still buy my Christmas ornament and my photos. If it costs me an extra $20, $30, $50 - that is a small percentage compared to what I have spent to take this cruise and have this amazing experience.

Not going to sweat the small stuff.

It took years for us to save up for this trip. We have sacrificed movies and eating in a restaurant that doesn't have a drive thru. My youngest just got braces which we will be paying on for 16 months and this winter caught up with our gutters. I don't know if I will ever get another opportunity to do a trip like this so it's a total punch in the gut to know that something I have been dreaming about seeing for years may never happen. Yes, I am grateful to be able to see what I can but I am not getting younger or richer and my budget is stretched to the limit so another 21% on top of everything does hurt me.

It took years for us to save up for this trip. We have sacrificed movies and eating in a restaurant that doesn't have a drive thru. My youngest just got braces which we will be paying on for 16 months and this winter caught up with our gutters. I don't know if I will ever get another opportunity to do a trip like this so it's a total punch in the gut to know that something I have been dreaming about seeing for years may never happen. Yes, I am grateful to be able to see what I can but I am not getting younger or richer and my budget is stretched to the limit so another 21% on top of everything does hurt me.

I feel your pain. I have been a "mystery shopper" for the last two years in addition to my full time job to pay for this cruise. And I have 2 in college not to mention the household disasters that have recently come up ($1500 to re-screen our pool cage after a storm with high winds and a bathroom that needs gutting).

I may never get to see Turkey either, but I am getting to see Greece, which has been a lifelong dream! Who knows - maybe my next scratch off will be a winner and I will get to do it all over again, but if not I am going to have as much fun as I can on this one just in case!

Is that just when we board? I could have sworn everything I read said we couldn't bring bottles of alcohol boarding as well as coming in from ports. Now I'm confused!

Correct. Only upon boarding. Any other alcohol purchased in port will be confiscated when you board and returned when you disembark.