Mexican Riviera tendering question

swannie

Hi all, will be on the Oosterdam Dec. 10th and planning excursions...am I right that between Cabo, PV and Mazatlan, Cabo is the only tendered port? This will be my first time with a tendered port, and I'm concerned about how much time to allow getting on and off the ship. I'm wondering if it's safest to go with a ship excursion to make sure I don't miss my excursion or sailaway time! Opinions? Experiences? Nightmares? :-)

Cabo - your only tendering port.

It all depends upon how many ships are scheduled to be there on the same day. All ships have to tender there. One time we were lucky and we were the closest ship and it took about only 15 - 20 minutes to tender in. Another time there 4 ships there and we were the furthest one out - nearly 45 minutes to fill the tender, make our way in, and get off the tender. The pier area was a zoo.

I would recommend taking a ship's tour.

Looking at CruiseCal, Oosterdam, Dawn Princess, and Carnival Pride will be in port on Dec 14.

PV can accomodate 2 ships pierside, although I'm not sure if it can accomodate 2 large ships since they have an "L shaped" configuration. When we were there in March 2005, a Carnival Spirit-class ship and Ryndam were at the pier and a Norwegian Dawn-class and Oosterdam were tendering.

At least one ship will be tendering on Dec 14, if the above schedule holds.

Usually Princess or RCI gets the old pier at Puerto Vallarta. If a ship is not one of those LARGE ones, they get the new pier.

For example Princess had the old pier when we were there in the fall of 2004 (big ship). We were on the Statendam and it got to dock at the new pier right across from Sam's Club and Wal-Mart (I mentioned this in my review last year about our watching the chef and a couple of workers several grocery carts back from Sam's Club because we were running out of certain food items). Costa had to anchor and use tenders to come into the pier near where we were docked.

We have checked our up-coming cruise schedule and there is a possibility that we may tender - never can tell until we are there.

Puerto Vallarta CLAIMS that they are going to build a third pier???

Had been considering a Mexican Riviera trip for early next year, but menion of Sam's Club & WalMart opposite the pier has almost put me off the idea. Does HAL go to the Mayan Riviera (south of Cancun) or have any of you been there recently?

Had been considering a Mexican Riviera trip for early next year, but menion of Sam's Club & WalMart opposite the pier almost puts me off the idea. Does HAL go to the Mayan Riviera (south of Cancun) or have any of you been there recently?

So definitely in Cabo, and possibly in PV. And have you folks as a rule gone with ship excursions if you know you're tendering? It's just that I read a review somewhere (although I don't think it was HAL, someone on a BIG ship) where they mentioned it taking until NOON to get off a ship at a tendered port. That sounds a bit ridiculous. But 45 minutes is more reasonable. Now as far as planning to return to the ship, how does that work? Does the ship give you until a certain time to be at the pier for the last tender? (e.g. the ship sails at 8, last tender leaves at 7)

Thank you very much for your info!

Had been considering a Mexican Riviera trip for early next year, but menion of Sam's Club & WalMart opposite the pier almost puts me off the idea. Does HAL go to the Mayan Riviera (south of Cancun) or have any of you been there recently?

You might want to consider the Sea of Cortez on HAL. Completely different than the big time tourist attractions like Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, Acapulco, etc. Places like Pichilingue (La Paz), Loreto and Topolobampo (and when HAL first started going there, Santa Rosalia) can still be pretty quiet.:)

We just got back from the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam last Saturday, October 8.

We tendered in Cabo and Puerta Vallarta and docked in Mazatlan. In PV there were 4 cruise ships and the only cruise ship to be docked was the Carnival Pride.

The tendering was an experience in PV because the ocean was very rough and several passengers got sick. One tender boat window was broken in the late afternoon and glass was all over the place. Scarey for some small children.

The tendering was an experience in PV because the ocean was very rough and several passengers got sick. One tender boat window was broken in the late afternoon and glass was all over the place. Scarey for some small children.

Is this the norm for tendering in PV?

--Iggi..worried now.

I do not know if this is the norm for PV. It is the season for cruise ships to go to the Mexican Riviera so there should be several ships in port each day.

The weather was sunny and very hot...particularly in the afternoon. The ship would not have tendering if it was not safe. There are plenty of qualified HAL employees assisting people on and off the tender boat.

My recommendation is to go and have a wonderful time! You will enjoy minute and bring home lots of great memories.:)

Hi Lanmon, I see you just got off the ship. Have you posted a review or anything? We're going in 45 days (woohoo!)

I know this question doesn't fit in this thread, but was wondering about music in your cabin. We don't have a suite, but a verandah stateroom, and was wondering about what kind of music is available in the cabin? Do you by chance know?

thanx

Hi there,

I will be posting my review this weekend. After reading my review if you have any particular questions please let me know and I will provide my email address.

But to answer your music question. Each cabin has a tv...the channels were CNN, movies (that were also shown in the Queens Lounge), HAL promo station that played "what to do in port and on sea" seminars, some on-board entertainment, and two HAL live camera channels that provided a pretty good variety of contemporary music. We heard great music from artists like the Beatles, Four Tops, Josh Grobin, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and Waylon Jennings.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!;)

Hi there,

I will be posting my review this weekend. After reading my review if you have any particular questions please let me know and I will provide my email address.

But to answer your music question. Each cabin has a tv...the channels were CNN, movies (that were also shown in the Queens Lounge), HAL promo station that played "what to do in port and on sea" seminars, some on-board entertainment, and two HAL live camera channels that provided a pretty good variety of contemporary music. We heard great music from artists like the Beatles, Four Tops, Josh Grobin, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and Waylon Jennings.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!;)

Archived