Huahine

Subliminal

Hello,

My wife and I will be going on our second Paul Gauguin cruise in May. When we cruised 3 years ago the first port was Raiatea which was our least favorite port due to the fact that most things were closed on Sunday. This time, the first port is Huahine, which will be new for us.

I've searched through the boards and it seems most everyone has good things to say about Marc at Huahine Nautique. To those who have gone with them, would you recommend the combo island tour with the 4x4 or just the motu picnic/snorkel? It seems odd that the combo tour adds an extra activity and is 30 minutes shorter than the one without the 4x4. If that really is the case, does the combo day seem rushed by comparison?

The next day will be Motu Mahana, which we loved last time! Is the motu picnic with Marc too similar to do two days in a row?

Lastly, if we decide not to go with Marc, are there any other recommendations on what to do on Huahine?

These boards were extremely helpful last time in getting perspectives of those of you who have been to FP often.

Thanks.

We have been on both tours. If you want to see the blue eye eels than do the combo. If you want to spend more time in the water then take picnic snorkeling tour. You can't go wrong either way. Always enjoy Marc's tours. We will be booking Marc's again for 2017. Enjoy for trip!!

We have done Marc's tour 3 times, most recently this past June. It has changed, and not for the better. He used to pick us up in the boat at the landing for the PG and then we went to explore and snorkel. We then ended up at the Pearl Farm which is overwater. From there we went to the motu for lunch and then some more snorkeling.

This past June he took us by vehicle to his launching area which was about a 15 minute drive from the landing area. No big deal. My negative is that we then motored around the island a LOT and ended up at the Pearl Farm, no snorkeling before that. From there we then continued for the lunch and some snorkeling. IMHO the quantity of snorkeling was minimal and his excursion is labeled lagoon tour, which it was.

The people who did the 4x4 tour were picked up by vehicle and since I did not go on it I don't know where they originally went. While my group was at the overwater pearl farm the boat left us there and picked up those that had done the 4x4 tour and they then joined us for the balance of the trip. The 4x4 group only missed a fairly long boat ride that saw a lot of the island.

I would do the 4x4 tour as you get to see everything and experience the same quantity of snorkeling. If there was some good excursion that had a focus on snorkeling I would prefer that but I don't think any exists.

We signed up for the combo tour, but were informed when he picked us up that not enough people signed up so we only got the boat tour and picnic. I personally thought it was just OK. Nothing special. The picnic was nice, but has absolutely nothing on Motu Mahana or Patrick's tour on Bora Bora. The highlight of Marc's was the shark feeding at the end as well as getting an up close look at the houseboat he used to rent out when he dropped off a guest at it.