1st timer pretty basic questions. Sailng feb 13th Divina

Newbie545

In laws gave us this cruise for Christmas. We sail on Divina THIS SATURDAY!! Feb 13th. Flying down the day before staying in Ft Lauderdale but In laws are flying down day of (landing if all goes well 9am) so we're going back to the airport get them and all taking a shuttle together - they paid for the cruise and shuttle -so doing as they want.

Now for the questions:

When we register our credit card onboard for the onboard account card do we get a paper receipt to prove we did it? (Probably won't but figured I'll ask) If we chose to do cash instead do we get a receipt?

We're taking a shuttle "Jiffy Jeff" from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami - Do the shuttles drop you off in the same place as people being dropped off by personal cars? Is it a long walk to the luggage drop off?

Do any of the electrical outlets in the cabin work with American electronics without an adaptor? - we only need one.

We have 1st dinner seating and I know we have to do the lifeboat/safety drill prior to sailing. How much time do we have between the drill and dinner to change clothes?

Thank you all just found this site the other day been reading up on as much as I can.

The shuttle will attempt to leave you off as close to the luggage drop-off as possible, given the line of vehicles hoping to do the same.

Why would they give you a receipt for registeringyour card? They are not going to charge anything on it until you have left the ship. They may however, put some holds on it during the cruise, depending on your spending. All shipboard charges go on your shipboard account, which is then charged to your account at the end of the cruise. I have never used cash, but I imagine you would get a receipt for the cash.

This is what the outlets at the desk look like in the lowest grade of inside cabin. I assume you will have this or more in all other cabins:

Divina10_zpsimhuxegz.jpg

Relax, and enjoy your cruise. Yes, you will have time to change for dinner. But dress is relaxed the first night as some people may not have received their checked baggage. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Very nice gift!

If you are taking the shuttle directly from the airport after retrieving bags, you'll likely be there between 10 and 10:30. That is before boarding is likely to begin, so prepare to have a bit of a wait. You may even want to carry some light snacks actually, as boarding can begin after noon in rare instances. Important with kids, or if folks have just flown in and haven't eaten in hours...

IIRC, Miami has a drop off area along several hundred feet parallel to the ship. There will be baggage handlers waiting near the curb to take your bags (and a tip of about $1/bag) so no worries there. However, there will be plenty of walking after that, as well as plenty of standing in line, so if there are mobility considerations keep that in mind.

I've never done cash, but I would assume you'd get a receipt for all transactions in cash. Credit is so much easier though, so it's highly recommended if you have the means.

Why would they give you a receipt for registeringyour card? They are not going to charge anything on it until you have left the ship. They may however, put some holds on it during the cruise, depending on your spending. All shipboard charges go on your shipboard account, which is then charged to your account at the end of the cruise. I have never used cash, but I imagine you would get a receipt for the cash.

EM

I guess receipt might be the wrong term - physical proof we registered the card not just words on a screen saying we did.

The boarding process is such that you won't get on the ship without registering a card or putting down a cash deposit. In that sense, you'll have proof that it was done.

I believe you do have to sign the credit authorization when checking in. Maybe there is a piece of paper provided at that point, or you could request one if you want it.

On the Dec 5th cruise, they were not taking credit cards at check-in. You had to register your card at one of the kiosks located in various spots near the atrium. The best way to figure out if it took is that you will not be able to charge anything onboard once you have reached $300. At least certain shipboard personnel advised that was the magic number. If you leave cash, you will be given a receipt.

As for lifeboat drill to 1st seating dinner, you'll have approximately 45 minutes.

Bret

On the Dec 5th cruise, they were not taking credit cards at check-in. You had to register your card at one of the kiosks located in various spots near the atrium.

Which I learned the hard way when I went to disembark and got the BONG instead of the Bing. I thought I gave them my card at check-in, but, they said I had to go to the desk. I was mad, but, surprisingly, the line wasn't long and i was quickly on my way.

Very nice gift!

If you are taking the shuttle directly from the airport after retrieving bags, you'll likely be there between 10 and 10:30. That is before boarding is likely to begin, so prepare to have a bit of a wait. You may even want to carry some light snacks actually, as boarding can begin after noon in rare instances. Important with kids, or if folks have just flown in and haven't eaten in hours...

IIRC, Miami has a drop off area along several hundred feet parallel to the ship. There will be baggage handlers waiting near the curb to take your bags (and a tip of about $1/bag) so no worries there. However, there will be plenty of walking after that, as well as plenty of standing in line, so if there are mobility considerations keep that in mind.

I've never done cash, but I would assume you'd get a receipt for all transactions in cash. Credit is so much easier though, so it's highly recommended if you have the means.

Thank you - we are on the cruise this Sat as well. We have a 7 month old infant with us. Any idea from recent cruisers what time they actually start allowing you on the ship? I know it varies, but I don't want to have to wait with my little girl out in the heat if I can just wait in the airport. As of now, I think we are going to be there at 11am, but can push that back if people think that's too early from their experience. Thanks!

Edited by iron9er

Thank you - we are on the cruise this Sat as well. We have a 7 month old infant with us. Any idea from recent cruisers what time they actually start allowing you on the ship? I know it varies, but I don't want to have to wait with my little girl out in the heat if I can just wait in the airport. As of now, I think we are going to be there at 11am, but can push that back if people think that's too early from their experience. Thanks!

1130-1200 usually.

On the Dec 5th cruise, they were not taking credit cards at check-in. You had to register your card at one of the kiosks located in various spots near the atrium. The best way to figure out if it took is that you will not be able to charge anything onboard once you have reached $300. At least certain shipboard personnel advised that was the magic number. If you leave cash, you will be given a receipt.

As for lifeboat drill to 1st seating dinner, you'll have approximately 45 minutes.

Bret

Interesting. Seems like it takes no time to swipe the cards during check in, and would prevent issues on ship and at disembarkation. I wonder what precipitated this change?

Well, we probably never hit $300 until we buy photos near the end of the cruise. I'll just hit a kiosk on day 2. Do the kiosks also allow disabling of charges on the kids cards?

I have sailed the Divina as well as four other cruise lines and they pretty much all work alike. The Divina sails I think at 7pm from Miami so you will have plenty of time between your muster drill and the first seating of dinner. Muser is usually between 4-5pm. When you do your pre cruise paperwork all the info is given by you that you print out. Before boarding you will receive a sea pass that is your lifeline while aboard the ship and getting off and on the ship. There is no cash used while on the ship to buy or pay for anything. It all goes on your account and unless you do not want to pay by credit card it will automatically be charged and the end of the cruise. If you wish to pay by cash at the end of the cruise than you can do so at the main desk and they will give you a receipt. You can also receive a receipt for all transactions made anytime during the cruise and at the end.:cool: The Heeb

• 2 weeks later...