Southwest baggage transfer

Joie

Does Disney Dream offer the baggage transfer directly to the airport for Southwest flights?

We have used this many times on Carnival and it is very handy for like $20 per person we don't see our luggage until we hit Chicago after we set it out in the hall night before we dock.

This service is available at no charge ON PARTICIPATING AIRLINES. There are a few more minimal restrictions, but the big one is that some airlines choose to not participate.

Unfortunately, Southwest is not a participating airline. You'll have to take your bags on your mode of transportation and check them in at the airport.

We almost always fly Southwest, and I wish they would participate. It's not that much hassle though. We always go outside at the airport to the curb side check as it is much faster than waiting in the line. They do work off tips, but it's worth a tip to not spend our time in line.

We almost always fly Southwest, and I wish they would participate. It's not that much hassle though. We always go outside at the airport to the curb side check as it is much faster than waiting in the line. They do work off tips, but it's worth a tip to not spend our time in line.

Early last year SouthWest and DCL did a test period to see if it would work. What I read was both companies mutually agreed to not continue the program.

Early last year SouthWest and DCL did a test period to see if it would work. What I read was both companies mutually agreed to not continue the program.

I've read this elsewhere. Guess we did not cruise on any of the dates when the trial occurred. Also, I've never heard what the issues were. It seems really odd since Southwest is part of the Magical Express luggage program from resorts to the airport and the cruise program is basically the same. In fact, the other airline with charges for luggage have a more complex situation as guests have to confirm with DCL that they have something that eliminates their luggage charges or pay them. Southwest is easy--2 bags free for everyone.

But, whether there was an unsuccessful trial or not, the on board airline check in program is not available to guests on Southwest.

I am interested in learning about this myself. Does your airline matter? I am flying Jet Blue.

Last I knew, Jet Blue was a participating airline. To be sure, check the DCL web site.

My understanding is that the airlines pay to participate, so they can opt out of the program if they choose.

Wow I can't believe that Southwest doesn't work out......we have used it many times on Carnival lines out of Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral......it works so nice....very smooth.

not sure about the not charging.....we always paid 20.00 per person, and that included 2 bags. Was very nice to set them out in the ships hallway and not see them again until we got to Chicago.

Southwest airlines has no charge for the first 2 bags to fly on the plane. This is in contrast to many other airlines that charge for checked bags.

Princess, Carnival, etc. charge $20 per person for their onboard check in program which includes the fee for handling the bags. Disney has no charge for their onboard check in program, but only some airlines have signed on to participate.

While it isn't a big deal to check in your bags at the airport, it is LOVELY to not have to mess with it.

Either way, you still have to lug them thru customs.

I actually like handling the bags at the airport because we can stick some of the stuff that we want on the plane in the bag and are able to travel lighter on the buss.

We didn't. When we flew Delta and did the onboard check in we got our luggage tags and boarding passes in our cabin the day before. Put the airline luggage tags on our bags and placed them outside the cabin door at the appropriate time. We next saw them at our home airport. No claiming at the terminal and going thru Customs. WE went thru Customs, but only with our carry on.

We have had to claim in the terminal and go thru Customs when not doing on board check in due to flying Southwest.

Odd, we have had to take our bags thru customs on our 3 cruises (2 DCL, 1 RCCL)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Were you using the Onboard Airline Check in program? Out of Port Canaveral/MCO? On a domestic flight?

We've done that 3 times on DCL and never had to claim our bags in the terminal. Bags were picked up the last night and we didn't see them again until we arrived at our home airport.

Edited by Shmoo here

Odd, we have had to take our bags thru customs on our 3 cruises (2 DCL, 1 RCCL)

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you did....but on a participating airline, DCL transfers, domestic flight, flight met the time requirements, and signed up for Onboard Airline Check in (not automatic--free, but must sign up for it), we put bags out at night and saw the at home airport. No Customs for the luggage while it was in our hands.

The 2 cruises out of Port Canaveral we flew with Southwest. The RCCL was out of Norfolk, so maybe it was not offered there.

That's why you had to claim luggage and go thru Customs. Southwest is NOT a participating airline. If you fly Southwest, you cannot do the onboard airline check in.

Until the recent price increases, we used Southwest almost exclusively (no baggage fees, convenient change policies, etc. and they used to have direct flights!). However, we did lose the convenience of the onboard airline check in. Now that Southwest is often more expensive than participating airlines and no one has direct flights for us, we enjoy this perk.

yes it was always GREAT to set bags out in hallway night before departing and never see them again till we hit Chicago...........was a relief to only carry the carry-on last day and all day traveling.

But that was Carnival and DISNEY doesn't offer it....so I guess we LUG everything this time.

Maybe it will make me pack lighter :)