Never cruised out of Galveston before.....help please....

august1963

Looks like the regulations in Galveston Island changed this year regarding Uber, no more. That's stinks! December I used my app at the port when we arrived back and we're waiting for our shuttle. I got tired of waiting and clicked the button on my phone. Picked up in 5 minutes, back to the hotel in 10 minutes. Rats!

Well the rep from Enterprise just said that they are not doing one way rentals from Hobby to Galveston anymore. I did give her the date of 9/9/16 so maybe they will be discontinuing the one ways?

It may be something they are planning to cancel in the future. I'm doing the one-way rental in late April.

I checked into getting a rental car for a day $40-$60 for the car but by the time the taxes/fees were added in, it was over $200 for a day. :( Looks like reading through your post, that rental cars are not really a good option like Orlando area. Someone correct me if I am wrong. OP- I hope you have a great cruise.

We sailed out of Galveston last September. We used Carnival's transfers to get from the port to the airport. We stayed at Drury Inn Hobby airport and they will pick up at the airport, and we used Ladybird Limo for transfers to the port. Great service!

Hello! Am thinking of taking Lady Bird from Hobby to Galveston port round trip and haven't found any recent reviews. Your thoughts?

Looking at flying with friends July 2017 to celebrate their Anniversary, asking for opinions on a possible arrangements.

1. Fly to IAH from So Calif, rent a car and drive to Galveston, leave car with Hotel and use Hotel Shuttle to Cruise Terminal ( Royal Caribbean)

2. Same flight and car rental except, use car rental to drive to Port and leave at Cruise Parking Lot to drive back to IAH at end of cruise.

3. Lastly, spend 1 night in Galveston and drive back next AM to IAH.

Considering # 3 so we aren't rushing to get back to Houston day of disembarking with customs involved. Thank You.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I was able to get a rental car from George Bush from Advantage Rental Car for $185 total for 8 days. We plan on parking for free at the hotel we are staying at the night before the cruise in Galveston and it is still way cheaper than paying for 4 people round trip to and from the airport and cruise terminal.

I was able to get a rental car from George Bush from Advantage Rental Car for $185 total for 8 days. We plan on parking for free at the hotel we are staying at the night before the cruise in Galveston and it is still way cheaper than paying for 4 people round trip to and from the airport and cruise terminal.

Wow, now that is an interesting idea.....

Just checking for 1 day it was over $200, never occurred to me to check for longer rental!

Edited by BLAMBKY

Have not stayed at the Hilton Island Resort but will be doing so on upcoming cruise and ma using points as well. Taking UBER from airport to the hotel. The hotel provides shuttle service at no charge, just call in advance. They were very helpful. They asked me what time we wanted to go and we reserved this in advance. They also said there is a grocery store within walking distance.

Have not stayed at the Hilton Island Resort but will be doing so on upcoming cruise and ma using points as well. Taking UBER from airport to the hotel. The hotel provides shuttle service at no charge, just call in advance. They were very helpful. They asked me what time we wanted to go and we reserved this in advance. They also said there is a grocery store within walking distance.

Just wanted to make sure you understand that while you can take Uber from the airport to the hotel, you won't be able to use Uber after the cruise, to get back to the airport. As of February 1, Uber does not pick up in Galveston.

Hello! Am thinking of taking Lady Bird from Hobby to Galveston port round trip and haven't found any recent reviews. Your thoughts?

I have just made a RSVP with them for my June cruise. Email response to my quote inquiry was prompt and no problems with securing our transport. The price quoted for just my family was a little less than taking a van shuttle with others. I stumbled across them in Tripadvisor forums and seem it get glowing recommendations. I hope come June I can do the same. :p

We are renting a car (and therefore will be able to come and go when we please, not on someone else's schedule). It's actually not much more expensive than the mess that the shuttles seemed to be. I hate spending my vacation waiting around for someone else...and that's what shuttles seem to be. So annoying.

We are renting a car (and therefore will be able to come and go when we please, not on someone else's schedule). It's actually not much more expensive than the mess that the shuttles seemed to be. I hate spending my vacation waiting around for someone else...and that's what shuttles seem to be. So annoying.

What are you doing with the car while you're on the cruise?

Parking at a secure lot, and paying for parking. Many hotels in the area offer "free" parking if you stay there. Ours was one that didn't...but we got a good deal on the hotel, so it evens out in the end.

I would think renting a car and keeping it the entire length of the cruise would be expensive.

We are arriving on 11 Jan - late at Bush. Renting car next day from Budget - going to NASA Johnson Space Center and Diners Drive Ins and Dives for a couple days - returning car to Mall at Texas City on 15 Jan and taking taxi to port that morning for about $50 -

Since we are doing B2B it is about the only way to go - will use ship transfer back to Bush $47 each to get home!

Well the rep from Enterprise just said that they are not doing one way rentals from Hobby to Galveston anymore. I did give her the date of 9/9/16 so maybe they will be discontinuing the one ways? Regardless if the airfare doesn't go below $200 they we will drive. There are three of us so that is a lot of money to save. I have to say that this will probably be the last time I take a cruise out of Galveston as the RT to MIA or FLL is around $250 and the hotels are around $125. And you don't have to spend money to get to the pier like you do in Galveston. Too much of a hassle!

I don't understand what the aversion to driving is. We live in Fort Worth and have driven to Galveston twice (will be doing it for the third time in a couple of weeks). It's not a bad drive 4 and half to 5 hours tops. You don't have to wait around for a plane, etc. When you get off the ship, you get in the car and drive home. Last year, after our Carnival Magic cruise, we were in the car by 9 and home by 2 (and that wasn't with Self Assist).

Plus, you have the chance to make the obligatory stop at Buc-ee's!

I didn't think it was possible, but I found a car rental to keep the entire time cheaper than roundtrip shuttle. 😁

Thanks for the idea!

I would love to do that - Will you share which rental company you found, please?

We are arriving at HOU on Saturday, sailing Sunday and returning a week later. Renting a car for eight days plus parking ($49 for the week) is $150 more than using shuttles but offers the car to run errands before and allows us a later return to the airport for our late flight. We can store the bags in the rental while we explore Galveston Sunday morning.

We are arriving at HOU on Saturday, sailing Sunday and returning a week later. Renting a car for eight days plus parking ($49 for the week) is $150 more than using shuttles but offers the car to run errands before and allows us a later return to the airport for our late flight. We can store the bags in the rental while we explore Galveston Sunday morning.

How many of you are there?