12:30 flight out of MIA ...

richmke

We will be on the Glory for a Western Carribean Cruise. We are arriving back on a Saturday, with a "arrival time" of 8:00 am. We have a room on Deck 1 (bottom of the ship). It is our first cruise.

We have a flight out of MIA at 12:25 on American Airlines.

I have read through a lot of posts, and have come to the conclusion: We should be ok with regular debarkation unless something goes wrong (ship late into port).

My plan is:

1) Self Assist debarking

2) Leave around 9:00 am

3) worst case clear customs by 10:00 am?

4) Catch a taxi by 10:15 am, be at MIA by 10:30

5) Worst case check-in at American by 11:30

6) Board 12:25 flight

I figure with Self Assist, we can leave at 9:00, or no later than the end of Self Assist if the ship is late. For 2 people, it seems like the Shuttle and a taxi to MIA are about the same price ($25 shuttle vs $27 taxi).

Question 1: Is there a way to know on Friday if the ship is going to be late into port? If we knew in advance the ship would be on-time then we might use regular debarkation. If we knew in advance the ship would be late, then we would use Self Assist.

Question 2: What time do they kick us out of the Cabin? 8:30?

Question 3: How long does it take to get from Deck 1 to the Debarking point? I assume if I am at the bottom of the ship, catching an elevator should not be a problem.

Question 4: Odds that it takes more than 1 hour to get off the ship and clear customs? We are USA Citizens.

Question 5: Is there a long wait to get a taxi?

Question 6: With a 12:25 flight, any thoughts on using normal debarkation? If we don't get Group 1, then switch to Self Assist?

Question 7: Is Luggage Express available for a 12:25 American Airlines flight from MIA? If we don't have to deal with checking in our luggage, then that gives us more leeway on getting to the Aiport.

Any comments or tips?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by richmke

Short answer: 12:25 is (in my experience) more than enough time, especially for Port of Miami to MIA.

Long answer:

Question 1: Is there a way to know on Friday if the ship is going to be late into port? If we knew in advance the ship would be on-time then we might use regular debarkation. If we knew in advance the ship would be late, then we would use Self Assist.

No, not unless there is a significant delay.

They ask all guests to be out of their cabins by 8am

Question 3: How long does it take to get from Deck 1 to the Debarking point? I assume if I am at the bottom of the ship, catching an elevator should not be a problem.

Should only take a few minutes. Don't make any assumptions about elevators, they can be crazy busy regardless of your floor/direction. Disembarkation should be from the lobby (deck 3) so if you have left your bags out the previous night, walking up to deck 3 should be simple enough.

Question 4: Odds that it takes more than 1 hour to get off the ship and clear customs? We are USA Citizens.

Unlikely, but anything is possible.

Depends on the day and the demand, but we've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Very short ride to MIA too.

Question 6: With a 12:25 flight, any thoughts on using normal debarkation? If we don't get Group 1, then switch to Self Assist?

I always do self-assist, out of personal preference, so no comment there.

Question 7: Is Luggage Express available for a 12:25 American Airlines flight from MIA? If we don't have to deal with checking in our luggage, then that gives us more leeway on getting to the Aiport.

I believe Luggage Express is good for any flights after 11:30am from MIA, so you should have that option.

Hope this helps :) sounds like you have an ideal flight time, so enjoy!

Just got off Glory on Saturday and had a cabin on Riviera deck. Everyone on Riviera deck who did not have an early flight before 12 got debarkation number 30 to 35. I just went to the Guest Services desk and asked for an earlier debarkation number. We wanted to be in Fll airport by 12 and got off the ship with number 20 at 9:30 after eating one more breakfast, breezed through customs in 20 minutes and took the Carnival shuttle and was in FLL by 11:30. Our cabin steward said we should be out of the cabin by 8:30. So you should not have a problem with either of your time lines. I thought the Glory debarkation was one of the best and most organized we ever had. Have fun. We hated to leave the ship.

You probably won't need to do the self-carry thing. About midway thru the cruise, they will ask those with early flights to let them know...tell them you have an early flight...and you'll be in one of the 1st groups off. That's a totally doable flight time...we usually book our return flight around 10:45am...and still have a bit of a wait at the airport!

Go with an uber over a taxi. It will be cheaper. Plus, if you've never used it, you can find promo codes for a free first ride (up to like $20 or $25) online.

I don't have cellular data. Is there wifi all over the POM? If not, I'll have to stick with the taxi.

We will be on the Glory for a Western Carribean Cruise. We are arriving back on a Saturday, with a "arrival time" of 8:00 am. We have a room on Deck 1 (bottom of the ship). It is our first cruise.

We have a flight out of MIA at 12:25 on American Airlines.

I have read through a lot of posts, and have come to the conclusion: We should be ok with regular debarkation unless something goes wrong (ship late into port).

My plan is:

1) Self Assist debarking

2) Leave around 9:00 am

3) worst case clear customs by 10:00 am?

4) Catch a taxi by 10:15 am, be at MIA by 10:30

5) Worst case check-in at American by 11:30

6) Board 12:25 flight

I figure with Self Assist, we can leave at 9:00, or no later than the end of Self Assist if the ship is late. For 2 people, it seems like the Shuttle and a taxi to MIA are about the same price ($25 shuttle vs $27 taxi).

Any comments or tips?

Thanks in advance.

Unless the ship is very late arriving (that is a very rare occurrence in Miami) you can be the last people off the ship, and you will likely be at the gate before 10:00 a.m.

This says yes. Not sure if it is up-to-date or not though.

I have the App, so if it works, it works.

POM-MIA: Uberx is cheapest, but are they likely to handle 2 adults and 4 pieces of luggage (2 suitcases and 2 carryon)?

If not, UberXL seems to be about the same price as a cab, which should be able to handle the luggage.

We regularly fly American home from MIA after cruises. The last several times have been after holiday cruises and the airport has been crazy and took an hour to get through security. We found Saturday to be busier than Sunday. I still wouldn't worry about missing your flight, I just wouldn't hang around the ship too long.

We prefer to do self assist and be in the first group off. You avoid the lines at customs and the taxi line. I'd rather be sitting comfortably at the gate in the airport than standing in line worrying if we'll make it on time!

I apologize to the OP. but I am going to hijack this thread for a second :)

We are on the Glory next month and we are flying out of FLL. right now I have us booked on the 3:40pm flight, but there is also a 2:05pm flight that I could change us to without any price difference. Should I stick to the 3:40pm flight, or will we be ok timing wise to go on the 2:05pm flight? Right now I have us booked on a private shuttle. We wont do a taxi or uber because we have a toddler who needs to be in a car seat if we do one of those options.

thank you!

I apologize to the OP. but I am going to hijack this thread for a second :)

No problem. Come on in, the water is fine.

Should I stick to the 3:40pm flight, or will we be ok timing wise to go on the 2:05pm flight?

FLL is 20 minutes farther than MIA.

If you do self debarkation, you should be fine. However, with a toddler, that may not be so fine. Maybe Luggage Express with self debarkation? However, that adds cost.

A 2:05 flight is like a 1:45 flight from MIA. One person said a terrible time through customs (2 hours?), and they barely made their 1:30 flight.

Working backwards:

2:05 fllight

1:05 check-in

12:05 arrive at airport (worst case it takes an hour to check bags)

11:30 Depart POM

11:15 clear customs

So, if you debark at 9:00 or 9:30 (which is late from what I understand), you have a lot of time to clear customs and get to FLL.

We did self assist off the Glory in November used a taxi and made it to MIA in plenty of time for a noon flight. The only bad thing was that the places to eat breakfast were very limited at MIA. After security all that was open was a McDs. There were other places to go, but it would require going to another concourse grouping and back through security again. MIA is laid out odd.

No problem. Come on in, the water is fine.

FLL is 20 minutes farther than MIA.

If you do self debarkation, you should be fine. However, with a toddler, that may not be so fine. Maybe Luggage Express with self debarkation? However, that adds cost.

A 2:05 flight is like a 1:45 flight from MIA. One person said a terrible time through customs (2 hours?), and they barely made their 1:30 flight.

Working backwards:

2:05 fllight

1:05 check-in

12:05 arrive at airport (worst case it takes an hour to check bags)

11:30 Depart POM

11:15 clear customs

So, if you debark at 9:00 or 9:30 (which is late from what I understand), you have a lot of time to clear customs and get to FLL.

Thank you for this! We have FTTF so I am not too concerned about getting off the ship. I might bring this up to my DH.... I'm almost thinking the later flight is better, we can grab a lunch and walk around the airport if we have too much time. I think I would rather do that than be running late and not be able to feed my toddler and (almost) teenager (oh the hormones!). Long flight and hungry kids= bad news bears!