hop off hop on

adammovies

None of them are that great, honestly. Because of Rome's traffic and pedestrianized areas, the HOHO buses cannot get very close to several key sites. So those who want to just sit on the bus and see things would be disappointed. And if you get off to walk to the site (e.g., Trevi Fountain), you may wait quite a while for another bus to come along and pick you up.

The traffic in Rome can be so bad that I have often found myself getting from point A to point B faster on foot than the buses I'm walking beside!

But seriously, unless you have mobility issues, Rome is really best experienced on foot.

I would second Cruisemom. In many cities like London, HOHO is an indispensable way to see the city and get an overview. Rome - not so much.

Walking is better and more efficient depending on mobility and the time you have.

The HOHO buses tend to skirt the periphery of many of the attractions where you then have to get off and walk to them to even see them.

The attractions in Rome like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Campo de' Fiori are surprisingly close to each other - What you most want to see in Rome is not spread out over a large area.

We're great fans of ho-ho's in many cities, but we found Rome's ho-ho's unworthy even during a stay of several days in Rome.

A port-of-call day is seriously foreshortened by travel from & back to port, and there's so much to see - using a ho-ho would waste a lot of that precious time for the reasons already given.

Add the Colosseum & Forum to those places suggested for a walking tour, but the Vatican perhaps by bus or taxi from Pantheon / Piazza Navone instead of a 20-25 minute walk.

JB :)

It has to do with the age and layout of the city. Newer cities that are more spread out, like New York, Paris, and Barcelona are far better suited for HOHOs. Older cities with tiny historic centers like Rome and Florence don't work well for these buses for the reasons already mentioned.

Edited by euro cruiser