First cruise on Fantasy

dcdozer

Hi all - my family (me, wife, son 9, and daughter 6) are getting set for our first cruise that sails on Feb 27th. I've been scouring online and still have a few questions:

- Palo's: we have dinner reservations on Pirate Night at 6pm. Based on what I had read on other sites, this was the best night to make the reservation because reviews of the food on pirate night were not so great. What are folks thoughts on this? It was also the only night we were able to get early reservations.

- Pirate Night: when does the party start? When are the fireworks? Will we miss the fireworks/good action based on our 6pm reservation at Palo's?

- Stop at Tortola: the only port adventure we were really interested in on this island was the lunch at Long Bay, but it's full. So we're thinking of just staying on the ship and have read that this is awesome because it's empty. Thoughts on that?

- Reservations/changes: Since this is our first cruise, we weren't able to select a boarding time until recently. Earliest still available was 1:45, so I took that. Given that boarding time, am I going to have any chance of changing the night for Palo's (if we even should based on feedback)? Will I be able to reserve other things that were "full" like the simulated sports, or a meeting with Anna and Elsa for my daughter?

- General tips: Given a 1:45 boarding time, any other tips? Or is just trying to make reservations/changes and then we all head to Cabana's to stuff our faces is all I need to know?

Hi all - my family (me, wife, son 9, and daughter 6) are getting set for our first cruise that sails on Feb 27th. I've been scouring online and still have a few questions:

- Palo's: we have dinner reservations on Pirate Night at 6pm. Based on what I had read on other sites, this was the best night to make the reservation because reviews of the food on pirate night were not so great. What are folks thoughts on this? It was also the only night we were able to get early reservations.

- Pirate Night: when does the party start? When are the fireworks? Will we miss the fireworks/good action based on our 6pm reservation at Palo's?

- Stop at Tortola: the only port adventure we were really interested in on this island was the lunch at Long Bay, but it's full. So we're thinking of just staying on the ship and have read that this is awesome because it's empty. Thoughts on that?

- Reservations/changes: Since this is our first cruise, we weren't able to select a boarding time until recently. Earliest still available was 1:45, so I took that. Given that boarding time, am I going to have any chance of changing the night for Palo's (if we even should based on feedback)? Will I be able to reserve other things that were "full" like the simulated sports, or a meeting with Anna and Elsa for my daughter?

- General tips: Given a 1:45 boarding time, any other tips? Or is just trying to make reservations/changes and then we all head to Cabana's to stuff our faces is all I need to know?

- Personally I like the Pirate menu. But I know there are others who don't. If that's the only time you could get a reservation that works for you, don't worry about it.

- There are 2 pirate night shows. A family-friendly one (Mickey and friends) between the 2 dinner seatings (about 7:45), and a Jack Sparrow-type show after the late seating (about 9:45) followed by the fireworks. A 6:00 Palo seating should have you out by about 8:00-8:30.

- I'd suggest you plan on arriving at the port around 12:30-12:45. By that time they've gone to Open Boarding (no longer announcing boarding numbers) and the busses from WDW resorts haven't started arriving yet. Check the Navigator you get in the terminal for where/when the Palo dining changes are being handled, as well as where/when for the Anna & Elsa meet & greet ticket distribution.

The pirate night menu is our least favorite, so that is usually our Palo night. My usual suggestion is to not do Palo or to do brunch on a first cruise so that you can experience all the ship has to offer with the dinner stuff, but obviously that is your choice. We typically find that dinner at Palo lasts 90-120 minutes.

The kid pirate party/show is about 7:30 (Disney characters). The more wild, Jack Sparrow oriented show is about 10:15 and followed by fireworks. Anyone is welcome at either show, but the early one was started in response to parent complaints that the late one is too late and too scary for kids.

I would suggest that you arrive at the terminal about 12:30. 1:45 is not your BOARDING time, it is your Port Arrival Time. 12:30 will mean a minimal wait in the check in line. They will go to "open boarding" somewhere between 1 and 1:30 so you will be checked in and ready to board as soon as open boarding is announced. You should have no problem with Elsa and Anna tickets. Sports simulator is hard to get--that might not be available. Should be no problem with changing Palo if you wish to do so.

We "divide and conquer" when we have more than 1 reservation thing to do. You can send one adult to each place to do what is needed. Just be sure that everyone agrees on the plan. For instance, Anna and Elsa will be on a sea day and so will Palo brunch--you don't want them at the same time, so plan on different days.

We really enjoyed Virgin Gorda on our Tortola excursion. Staying on the ship is always good, but Tortola is not one of the "standard" stops. If there is anything you want to do there, do it on this cruise as it may not be easy to get back. If you do Virgin Gorda, there are two paths to the beach. Take the one to the left. Most people go to the right, and the 2 beaches do interconnect by going thru the caves. But the one on the left was much less populated.

Edited by moki'smommy

I googled "Pirate Menu Disney Fantasy and got this along with several other sites. I chose this because it was plain type rather than a photo. Easier to read.

Appetizers

Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake - with golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw served with a spicy Calypso dressing

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" - oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple - fresh island pineapple with a coconut covered banana and orange glaze

Pearls of the Caribbean - crabmeat, shrimp and salmon mixed in pearls of couscous with lemon grass infused vinaigrette

Soups and Salads

Chilled-to-the-bone Honeydew Melon and Watermelon Soup

Caribbean-style Conch Chowder - with sherry, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, thyme, and garnished with diced potatoes and crispy bacon bits

Jerk Chicken Salad - jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips

Mr. Smee's Bibb Lettuce Salad - with bibb lettuce, baby greens, chicory, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette

Bread Service

Johnny Cake with a pigeon pea relish

Main Course

Castaway Chicken Breast - rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, rice and beans, and fried okra on rich spiced glaze

Jolly Rogers Barbecue Rib Salad - Shredded cabbage, carrots, and corn mixed with Romaine lettuce and fresh parsley with a spicy baked bean dressing

Treasures of the Seas Grilled Shrimp and Seared Scallops - served on strings of pasta and fresh creamy tomato sauce

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip

Sunken Vegetable Treasure - Black-eyed pea and quinoa croquettes with a mushroom sauce

Captain Hook's Macadamia Nut-dusted Mahi Mahi - Jasmine rice and sautéed pineapple on a mild curry sauce

The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef - thick cut of beef with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with deep red wine glaze

Tiger Lilie's Savory Pancakes - stuffed with tofu, spinach, and lashed to the deck on a pool of pepper coulis

Baked Salmon and Oven-roasted Chicken Breast available upon request

Desserts

Sweet Temptations - a trio of fruit cobbler, floating island and chocolate cake

Fruit Cobbler - with vanilla ice cream

Floating Island - crisp meringue, vanilla anglaise and marinated fruits

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake - with raspberry glaze and whipped cream

Crunch Time Sundae - Rum Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Croquant

No Sugar Added

Banana-Chocolate Crepe - with mango coulis and coconut

Angel Food Cake - with strawberries and whipped cream

Why our vote against pirate night menu...it just isn't as good as most other nights in our opinion. If you like the choices, you'll feel differently. It isn't "bad," it is just our least favorite. You have 7 nights.....logically you'll like one best and one least.

Thank you for the helpful info. So there is one like and one dislike of the pirate night menu. What do you like/dislike about it? What is on the pirate menu? Thanks again.

Hi there,

I find people put too much emphasis on what there is to eat.

From our family experience, its spending time together as a family dressed in all our pirate costumes having fun with the kids. Meeting Jack Sparrow, watching Hook and Smee try to take off with my ridiculously fake diamonds and trying to convince our kids to join their ship. We wouldn't miss spending a pirate night together. The atmosphere is too good to miss.

Hope whatever you decide you have fun!

Although plenty of people like it, pirate night is not my favorite. The show on deck is LOUD and kind of frantic. The kids show has a story acted out with the characters on stage. It's Richard Simmons-esque - high energy. The later party is loud with lots of dancing and campy pirate talk - shiver me this and pirate booty that. ARGGH!! For me, it gets a bit tiring because all I care about is the fireworks show.

The fireworks alone aren't so notable, but there's something about watching fireworks with a bunch of people that is really fun. Throw in the fact that you're on a ship in the middle of the sea on a cruise ship, and it is something I'd definitely recommend. The fireworks are shot off the starboard side from the aft of the ship. Make sure you're not trying to watch from the port side with the aft funnel blocking your view. The fireworks start around 10:30, but ask your dining staff or cabin steward for the exact time.

We've been on a couple Disney cruises (not the Fantasy), and my kids (5, 6, & 8) would now rather spend pirate night in the kids area. As it gets late, we end up getting room service (cookies) and watching any one of a million Disney movies on the cabin entertainment system. We can watch a Disney movie at home, but again, doing anything on a cruise ship is more fun.

Thanks all for the helpful info. A couple more questions:

- my wife saw a video online of the Oceaneer's Club and she thought it looked like the kids would just be playing video games all day. Is that the case? Or are there a lot of other activities?

- the things I saw to sign up for online before the cruise leaves port are dining in Palo/Remy, port adventures, the boutique, and the sports/golf simulators. I'm assuming there are a lot of other activities going on throughout the ship as well every day, but just wanted to ask about this. I'm curious because the DVD didn't seem to explain much detail...was just more of a sales/marketing/get you excited for your trip video.

Thanks again.

There are tons of things going on in the Oceaneer's Club. In fact, on the Navigator you will see some listed as physical activity, some creative, etc. There are 4 categories. And then there are the "free play" activities that include computer games, coloring, dress up, etc. Activities have "suggested ages" attached, but any kid of any age can do any activity. Example--physical activity for 3-4 year old is Do-Si-Do with Snow....where the kids dance with Snow White. Older kids have baking cookies, drawing animation cels, etc. Computer games are available as a "free play" activity all the time, but play a very small part in the programming. There are up to 4 scheduled activities going on at the same time, each with a different suggested age range...in addition to the "free play." I think the video was saying "Look, we have cool computers."

At night, they do put a movie on a screen and let the kids sit on sleep mats. If they fall asleep, their mat is just pulled to a spot where no one will step on them. They CAN do activities at this time, but no one cares if they fall asleep.

The Navigator has activities divided into kids, family (all ages, parent must supervise small kids), adult only, etc. Yes there are activities going on all day in most of these areas. There are not as many adult activities as some other lines have. Movies are shown several times during the day, there are trivia competitions, family dance parties, wi sports, game show type things, lots of stuff. The schedule isn't as packed as some other lines, but there is plenty to do. The things that you sign up for require reservations. Most of the activities you just show up at the appointed place and time--no advance sign up. These are not listed on line in advance.

Edited by moki'smommy

We will be on the same cruise with our 6 and 4 year old! This is our third Disney cruise, and second on the Fantasy. Our girls love the kids club, there is always so much to do, colouring, games, movies, cooking, science demonstrations, trivia, etc. And we love it because it gives us time alone together. What dinner seating are you on? We are on Main Dining time. A big reason we like this time, is the kids club CM come to the restaurant entrance after the kids have eaten, and will take the children to the club, so mom and dad can finish dinner alone. We don't do this every night, but it is nice to have that option. Pirate night is my favourite night on board. I love getting everyone dressed up, and the big party after. Have fun! Maybe our kids will be friends for the week in the club 😊

On the Wonder a few weeks ago they did the fireworks at 8pm. They may a point of saying they've heard the complaints and now do them earlier.

It depends on the itinerary. Those itineraries (in the winter) that it's dark enough by 8:00 seem to have the fireworks earlier. That wouldn't work in the summer.

Thank you for the helpful info. So there is one like and one dislike of the pirate night menu. What do you like/dislike about it? What is on the pirate menu? Thanks again.

First let me say I dislike the standard Disney rotational dining food. Ok I can't lie, I hate it. However the Pirate night menu is the one night we enjoy on each cruise. It has been very good in the past.

Edited by e2011

My Pirate menu favorites:

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" - oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple - fresh island pineapple with a coconut covered banana and orange glaze Although I had to give this one up due to the coconut on it.

Soups and Salads

Jerk Chicken Salad - jerk-seasoned chicken strips over fresh crispy greens with a citrus dressing and plantain chips

Mr. Smee's Bibb Lettuce Salad - with bibb lettuce, baby greens, chicory, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts and raspberry vinaigrette

Bread Service

Johnny Cake with a pigeon pea relish LOOOOOVE the Johnny Cake!

Main Course

Castaway Chicken Breast - rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, rice and beans, and fried okra on rich spiced glaze

Jolly Rogers Barbecue Rib Salad - Shredded cabbage, carrots, and corn mixed with Romaine lettuce and fresh parsley with a spicy baked bean dressing

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip This is my #1 choice, but I also like the others.

The Dutchmen's Dijon-Crusted Sirloin of Beef - thick cut of beef with oven-roasted sweet potatoes and a black spot tomato with deep red wine glaze

Tiger Lilie's Savory Pancakes - stuffed with tofu, spinach, and lashed to the deck on a pool of pepper coulis

Desserts

Crunch Time Sundae - Rum Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Croquant

No Sugar Added

My Pirate menu favorites:

The Buccaneer's Sun-Ripened Pineapple - fresh island pineapple with a coconut covered banana and orange glaze Although I had to give this one up due to the coconut on it.

Soups and Salads

Bread Service

Johnny Cake with a pigeon pea relish LOOOOOVE the Johnny Cake!

Main Course

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip This is my #1 choice, but I also like the others.

Desserts

No Sugar Added

Wow! You've tried all of those dishes from one night in so few cruises!

You must have eaten off everyones plate! :)

ex techie

Thanks again all. We were watching random youtube videos last night and the wife and kids started to get all pumped up. This is gonna be good...

We will be on the same cruise with our 6 and 4 year old! This is our third Disney cruise, and second on the Fantasy. Our girls love the kids club, there is always so much to do, colouring, games, movies, cooking, science demonstrations, trivia, etc. And we love it because it gives us time alone together. What dinner seating are you on? We are on Main Dining time. A big reason we like this time, is the kids club CM come to the restaurant entrance after the kids have eaten, and will take the children to the club, so mom and dad can finish dinner alone. We don't do this every night, but it is nice to have that option. Pirate night is my favourite night on board. I love getting everyone dressed up, and the big party after. Have fun! Maybe our kids will be friends for the week in the club

We're on the early dinner seating...I think that's the main one. But I thought the counselors came to get the kids only in the late seating? We'd probably keep the kids with us most nights unless they finish early and start going crazy to get back into the Oceaneer's Club...which I'm sure will happen.

And my 6-year-old girl is very excited to make new friends. My boy just wants the video games and technology flashing all over the place, but I'm sure he'd be happy to make a buddy or two as well.

First let me say I dislike the standard Disney rotational dining food. Ok I can't lie, I hate it. However the Pirate night menu is the one night we enjoy on each cruise. It has been very good in the past.

Why do you hate it? Have only heard reviews that range from "it's pretty good" 3-star food to "amazing".

Thanks again all. We were watching random youtube videos last night and the wife and kids started to get all pumped up. This is gonna be good...

We're on the early dinner seating...I think that's the main one. But I thought the counselors came to get the kids only in the late seating? We'd probably keep the kids with us most nights unless they finish early and start going crazy to get back into the Oceaneer's Club...which I'm sure will happen.

And my 6-year-old girl is very excited to make new friends. My boy just wants the video games and technology flashing all over the place, but I'm sure he'd be happy to make a buddy or two as well.

Yes, unlike other cruise lines, DCL calls their early seating "Main". Other cruise lines call their late seating "Main". The CMs coming to pick up the kids is only on the late seating (called "Second" on DCL).

Correct that the CMs come to get the kids from the dining room at late seating only. But it is very easy for a parent to run them over to the OC between courses at early (main) seating.

DCL food has declined significantly over the years. However, there are still some good things on each menu, and some truly outstanding (but not every night). Or maybe anything I don't have to cook is good......