Vancouver-Best Western Plus Uptown?

momladybug

I'd take it over an airport hotel any day and the location is convenient in terms of nearby restos, supermarket, bus but yes, if you can swing the extra for a hotel in downtown proper you'll find that more convenient for the vast majority of tourist sites.

The Uptown is superbly located if you want to visit local breweries, quirky stores, and a couple of the not-in-downtown-core sites like Queen Elizabeth Park, and the south and east end of False Creek (Science World, Olympic Village, or even Granville Island) are just as easy or even easier to reach than from most downtown core hotels.

If you do decide this is the place for you post a reply - it's right in my 'hood so I'd be happy to share info on some of the local bars & restos that 99% of tourists never see.

Thank you farmgirl65...

We are coming on Sat (5/14) am on the Amtrack from Seattle and are leaving on Monday (5/16) am on the Carnival Legend...so planning on Sat afternoon and Sun to spend in Vancouver.

I was hoping to find a hotel around/close to $100/night that's why I am asking about Best Western. Would there be a more suitable hotel in that price range that's a better location etc?

Any other suggestions/tips for sight seeing for day and a half in Vancouver?

Thinking about Grouse Mountain and Suspension bridge...

Is it near the Amtrak station? Is it a safe area? Sorry for butting in....

It's one of the closest hotels to Amtrak, although uphill so I wouldn't want to walk with bags - a cab should be $10. It's technically a safer area than downtown based on local crime stats, well outside the peak areas for casual property theft that is the majority of Vancouver crime likely to impact tourists - but since you'll be wandering about the city during your stay realistically there isn't much of a safety difference.

And back to momladybug - at $100 (I assume USD) a night, there are vanishingly-few options in Vancouver in cruise season. The YWCA is the only downtown hotel I can think of that will definitely fit your needs, with double rooms under CAD$100 in May and even their private bath doubles well under USD$100 at current exchange rates. They are excellently-located, very well-reviewed, clean, safe, and with their handy shared full kitchens and laundries offers a lot of scope for saving a few extra bucks daily by making your own breakfast and sandwiches/snacks/picnic lunches. When we visited Vancouver before moving, this is where we stayed and we had absolutely no regrets.

Grouse & Cap are popular sites - the former gives lovely and different views of Vancouver on clear days too. Without more knowledge of the kind of things you & your traveling companions like though, it's hard to say what the best things to go see would be. I've yet to hear of anyone who didn't enjoy Stanley Park and the Seawall, probably the most definitively Vancouvery things to see, but after that - more outdoorsy stuff? Natural wilderness or manmade gardens? Cultural? Historic? Scientific? Can you walk a little? A lot? What about bikes - can everyone ride one? Are you all fit enough to rack up ten miles or so? Can you/would you like a more challenging hike?

It's easier to list what you CANNOT see and do in and around Vancouver (basically we're light on high culture like opera and ballet, and our oldest buildings are young even by East Coast standards...) than to list what you CAN do - there's a reason we're consistently named as the best place to live in the Americas...

Thanks for your response. We are also coming for a cruise that departs from Seattle. Planning on taking the Amtrak Cascades to Seattle after spending a day and a half in Vancouver. Also interested in Stanley Park and the aquarium. How far are they from this hotel?

I think a map is the most useful thing to point you to right now. Since the Aquarium is inside Stanley Park, and you can get the No. 19 bus right outside the Uptown, I've also popped in directions for a Sunday (I'm assuming you'll be visiting the park and aquarium on your full day rather than the Saturday afternoon).

You can change the dates to your exact visit in about a month, the schedule only runs c.8 weeks in advance so still a little too soon to see your dates. Price definitely won't change = $2.75pp, although you should be aware that you will need to pay in Canadian cash funds only on buses. If you plan to zip around on transit a lot, grab a Day Pass on Saturday (many retailers all over the city). NB: don't get these from a machine unless you want to use it same day - retailers can give you one valid for a future date too.

Edit - whoops, it's OP who was here May 14/15th. You may need to change the dates on the google map unless you're also visiting on a Sunday!

Edited by martincath

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another option is 910 Beach Ave Apt. hotel. It's gives you a condo feel at a reasonable price. It's a block from the False Creek water taxi's, which get you to many sites...Granville island, Science World Yaletown (yuppie/highend area with lots of shops/eats).

Is this the BW Plus on Davie ST? I thought it was being converted into a condo? You can also call 1-800 hello bc to find lower cost accomodations.

Nope, the Uptown is the one on Kingsway @ 10th ave - it's outside downtown, and uphill from it, so I assume that's where they plucked the Uptown name from since nobody in the area calls it that! I refer to it as the BWBJ (Best Western Billy Joel)...