Trying to figure out trip insurance - questions

Quiltin"Mom

I have been researching and trying to figure out what to purchase for trip insurance. I have been in contact with Steve at Trip Insurance Store and we have been e-mailing back and forth.

I don't believe we need a pre-existing condition waiver. We are all healthy and don't anticipate any upcoming issues.

Where I am running in to questions is purchasing the policy within 21 days of the initial trip deposit. I told out travel agent on January 21st to go ahead and book our cabin on the cruise. My deposit did not hit my bank account until January 25th. So, today will be 21 days!!!!!

The main coverage I would be interested in would be coverage for me to be able to return home in the event of an emergency for my Dad. I am his only surviving family member here in the US. I would need to return if something were to happen. Dad is healthy and active and I don't anticipate anything happening, however, I need to know that I can get back quickly if needed. I am concerned that flights out of Belize or Cozumel would be quite pricey.

So, would this be trip interruption? Is there coverage for the illness or injury of a non-traveling family member?

Advise would be appreciated. THANKS!!!

I have been researching and trying to figure out what to purchase for trip insurance. I have been in contact with Steve at Trip Insurance Store and we have been e-mailing back and forth.

I don't believe we need a pre-existing condition waiver. We are all healthy and don't anticipate any upcoming issues.

Where I am running in to questions is purchasing the policy within 21 days of the initial trip deposit. I told out travel agent on January 21st to go ahead and book our cabin on the cruise. My deposit did not hit my bank account until January 25th. So, today will be 21 days!!!!!

The main coverage I would be interested in would be coverage for me to be able to return home in the event of an emergency for my Dad. I am his only surviving family member here in the US. I would need to return if something were to happen. Dad is healthy and active and I don't anticipate anything happening, however, I need to know that I can get back quickly if needed. I am concerned that flights out of Belize or Cozumel would be quite pricey.

So, would this be trip interruption? Is there coverage for the illness or injury of a non-traveling family member?

Advise would be appreciated. THANKS!!!

You really should be asking Steve about which exact coverage this would be for the *exact* policies you are considering.

There is a lot of fine print...

If you miss the 21 days, then ask him about the CSA coverage, especially if you don't need CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason, which is very expensive through them with this late payment coverage).

I would need to return if something were to happen. Dad is healthy and active and I don't anticipate anything happening, however, I need to know that I can get back quickly if needed. I am concerned that flights out of Belize or Cozumel would be quite pricey.

THANKS!!!

For clarification purposes only.

Last minute 1 way fares from Belize or Cozumel will be quit pricey.

However, travel insurance doesn't pick up the cost for these tickets. You must pay for the tickets out of your pocket, then when you get back home, you file a claim for reimbursement. Same with medical emergencies

I only bring this up because when I first began traveling, I thought travel insurance was like my BC/BS at home. Just hand over the insurance card and off you go.

For clarification purposes only.

Last minute 1 way fares from Belize or Cozumel will be quit pricey.

However, travel insurance doesn't pick up the cost for these tickets. You must pay for the tickets out of your pocket, then when you get back home, you file a claim for reimbursement. Same with medical emergencies

I only bring this up because when I first began traveling, I thought travel insurance was like my BC/BS at home. Just hand over the insurance card and off you go.

THANKS!!! Yes, I know I pay up front, then settle when we get home. I really thought having to take a last minute flight from one of the ports would be really expensive. That is where my concern is primarily.

I have contacted Steve through e-mail only, so maybe I need to pick up the phone and get this clarified and done. I just want to make sure I get the correct coverages.

THANKS!!!

THANKS!!! Yes, I know I pay up front, then settle when we get home. I really thought having to take a last minute flight from one of the ports would be really expensive. That is where my concern is primarily.

I have contacted Steve through e-mail only, so maybe I need to pick up the phone and get this clarified and done. I just want to make sure I get the correct coverages.

THANKS!!!

Yes, by all means, SPEAK with him or one of the others.

Email can be so slow, and there is also a lot of "back and forth" sort of brainstorming during an actual conversation (where you hear something they say, and ask, "hey, what is that for", or such, or they hear something you say, and suggest a different type of policy if "x" is a concern, etc.)

We learned an invaluable amount through quite a few early phone calls.

Yes, by all means, SPEAK with him or one of the others.

Email can be so slow, and there is also a lot of "back and forth" sort of brainstorming during an actual conversation (where you hear something they say, and ask, "hey, what is that for", or such, or they hear something you say, and suggest a different type of policy if "x" is a concern, etc.)

We learned an invaluable amount through quite a few early phone calls.

THANKS!!!! DONE, one more thing off my checklist. I called and spoke with DeAnna and she was super helpful. She was able to help me understand why one plan was better for our situation. It was so much easier to talk on the phone and ask questions.

THANKS for the help!!!