Upgrade your cabin and lose money ?

Another couple in our party booked an inside cabin last year and have contacted RCI to up grade to a balcony cabin before our cruise in May, but have been told that they would lose the small OBC, $200, because the deal would be different, even though they would be paying an extra $2000 to RCI for the upgrade.

I just think its crazy that they will not budge on that point, it doesn't make economic sense ?

Another couple in our party booked an inside cabin last year and have contacted RCI to up grade to a balcony cabin before our cruise in May, but have been told that they would lose the small OBC, $200, because the deal would be different, even though they would be paying an extra $2000 to RCI for the upgrade.

I just think its crazy that they will not budge on that point, it doesn't make economic sense ?

Not surprising, but those are the rules.

Yes, because they will likely sell that room to someone else at that price. They always rebook at the current rates.

Hi Mark

In June last year we sailed on Explorer from Southampton. Two weeks before departure RCI offered myself an my husband an upgrade from our promenade view cabin to a balcony cabin. Our daughters who where in the adjoining promenade cabin where not offered an upgrade.

I rang RCI to see if I could pay for the girls balcony upgrade at the current price, as I could see there were inter connecting balcony cabins available. I was told no, they would have to cancel and rebook. Two week before departure that was 100% canx charges. The cost of the upgrade would have been £700.

We choose not to upgrade as we did not want to be 14 cabins away from our kids in case it meant a different muster point and therefore a different lifeboat in an emergency. At the time I thought RCI was very short sighted as they missed out on £700!!

As it turns out the balcony cabin would have been in the same muster as I went and found it and asked the cabin steward.

Some times common sense to us means no sense at all to them. :confused:

Hi Mark

In June last year we sailed on Explorer from Southampton. Two weeks before departure RCI offered myself an my husband an upgrade from our promenade view cabin to a balcony cabin. Our daughters who where in the adjoining promenade cabin where not offered an upgrade.

I rang RCI to see if I could pay for the girls balcony upgrade at the current price, as I could see there were inter connecting balcony cabins available. I was told no, they would have to cancel and rebook. Two week before departure that was 100% canx charges. The cost of the upgrade would have been £700.

We choose not to upgrade as we did not want to be 14 cabins away from our kids in case it meant a different muster point and therefore a different lifeboat in an emergency. At the time I thought RCI was very short sighted as they missed out on £700!!

As it turns out the balcony cabin would have been in the same muster as I went and found it and asked the cabin steward.

Some times common sense to us means no sense at all to them. :confused:

Quite agree......

It will be interesting after the final payments are due when more cabins always become available, maybe they will be more open to a change ?