Palma De Mallorca - Drach Caves

kruzinkimmie

I have started researching excursions for my cruise. I will be on the Harmony of the Seas in July 2016 and one of our stops is Palma De Mallorca.

One thing I have come across is the Drach Caves. Has anyone every done them before? Worth making the trip? It looked like it was about an hour from where the ship docks.

Or if any one has any suggestions besides the Soller Train that would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The Caves are very interesting and I would rate it as a good tour to do. You go quite deep but the walking is fine and there are some steps. The rocks are interesting and there is also the underground lake where you are treated to a musical interlude - seating is provided. You also get a decent tour of the island although perhaps not the most scenic. We stopped at the small towns of Porto Cristo (time for coffee and quick shopping) and Manacor for the pearls. If you haven't been to the Caves before then they are certainly worth the trip.

I have started researching excursions for my cruise. I will be on the Harmony of the Seas in July 2016 and one of our stops is Palma De Mallorca.

One thing I have come across is the Drach Caves. Has anyone every done them before? Worth making the trip? It looked like it was about an hour from where the ship docks.

Or if any one has any suggestions besides the Soller Train that would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

If you have visited Palma de Mallorca before the Caves is a good trip.

If you haven't seen Palma city I would spend the day there.

Edited by campolady

• 1 month later...

Is Palma de Mallorca a city that has a nice old city to walk around? Are there some interesting places to see? We would prefer to stay in the city and not do a bus trip out of town.

Thanks for your help!

Yes it has big Cathedral and old city to walk ground. When big cruise ships are in town it gets somewhat crowded. Beaches are in 30-40 min bus ride radius. Also has decent aquarium near PMI airport

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I agree! Palma is such a pretty city. It has everything you want in a port--tourist sites like all different kinds of museums, plenty of good restaurants and bars to sit at inside or out and enjoy good food drink and sunshine, shopping, parks to enjoy. We love Palma. We try to go there as often as we can! I don't know if anyone is as keen on walking as my husband and I are, but it's a great walk from the ship into town walking along the waterside. Under an hour give or take, depending on where you stop. (We're easily distracted by photo ops. :D ) There's a gorgeous little park off the main drag that's well worth exploring, about midway between port and town.

We've been to the Caves too and that's a spectacular day. Really well done, especially the ending where you're serenaded by the music on the underground lake.

Thanks so much for your replies about what to see in Mallorca. It looks like another city we will walk around on our own which we really like to do. Thanks again.

Sounds like a good choice - Palma is a one off and shouldn't be missed. The Caves of Drach are good but the music 'serenade' is very twee and Disneyesque and there are better caves in Mallorca IMO.

Thanks so much for your replies about what to see in Mallorca. It looks like another city we will walk around on our own which we really like to do. Thanks again.

A lovely interlude is a visit to the Banys Arabs/Arab Baths. I think the entry fee is 2.50 Euro. Small site with a patio garden with a few tables. A nice place to see the Arab influence and to relax and reflect. Near the Cathedral.

A lovely interlude is a visit to the Banys Arabs/Arab Baths. I think the entry fee is 2.50 Euro. Small site with a patio garden with a few tables. A nice place to see the Arab influence and to relax and reflect. Near the Cathedral.

Also the Bishops Garden just past the Cathedral is a lovely peaceful oasis - no charge but the entrance is easily missed so keep your eyes peeled.

• 1 year later...

Hi, the tour for the Drach Caves on the Jewel of the Seas offers a small group tour vs the regular group tour but of course provides no additional information. Can anybody advise if taking a regular tour vs the group tour makes a difference. The price is about $30 pp additional for the small group tour. I am not against purchasing it just trying to understand if the value is there to make the purchase. Thanks.

Thanks!

I live in Majorca and the Caves are a good choice for a day , but first timers in Majorca should spend the the day exploring the town of Palma , for further ideas in Majorca see my suggestions on this thread .

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657