Dining Attire?

BOWSER DUFF

Cruise and Maritime - Magellan - 1st March 2016 - Tilbury

Ahoy There.......!

(Couldn't resist that)

We are first time cruisers and are wondering about exactly what the dress code is for dining in the evening and how strictly it is adhered to?

Also does it differ between lines?

The information given on our line's website is that there are formal nights including the welcome dinner and Captain's dinner and casual nights. They suggest that the men wear lounge suits and shirts and ties for the formal nights: do men really have to wear a suit for all these nights?

I thought they would expect men to be suited on the special dinner nights but not most of them.....

My husband usually wears smart jeans and a dressy shirt to go out for dinner; would that be objected to do you know?

Any advice would help with what with how much we lug with us.

I don't know how strictly Cruises & Maritime enforce the rules - P&O, for example, wouldn't let you in to the main dining room without a jacket or with jeans on formal and semi-formal nights, but C&M might be more tolerant. The only time I travelled with them, it wasn't an issue as far as I was aware because it was 100% compliance.

It shouldn't be an issue for packing, though - one dark jacket will do for both formal and informal, it's just a matter of (if he wants to be very formal) wearing a bow tie on formal nights and an ordinary tie on informal.

C&M are quite traditional, dress code for formal evenings is respected, most guys wear a tux but a fair proportion wear dark suit & tie. Neither would look out of place.

It's some time since I last sailed C&M but on other evenings I think the norm is still a collared or roll-neck shirt, optional tie, optional jacket.

Jeans would look a little out of place, in the dining room & even elsewhere on the ship, but that might depend on the itinerary - more suited to the North Cape than the Canaries, for instance.

Definitely pack a pair of regular trousers as well, and a tie or two.

Guessing this is a no-fly cruise, so no luggage won't be a problem

JB :)

Edited by John Bull