55+ special pricing

Hapinowagain

We did not have any problem getting a reduction after the final payment was made. Our last cruise I watched the price and called my TA. We received a credit of $400 to our credit card.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My wife and I are over 55 and I am a military vetran. Just wo you knowwhat you are looking at as for savings, we booked a balcony cabin on Carnival Glory on the Sept.2nd, 7 night, Eastern Caribbean cruise( Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maartin) at a cost of well under $600 pp. We are taking our granddaughter with us. (3rd and 4th passenger in same cabin $199 each).

Terry

• 1 month later...

I think there is some confusion regarding military rates. Carnival will give anyone who served in the military for 2 years and has an honorable discharge and papers to prove it, a military discount if it is available for that cruise. I think they have those discounts for every cruise, but they are limited in number so they could be used up by others.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have military discounts but only for ACTIVE military. Those reservations have to be made through a special location. I know this because we tried to get the military rate and were told that unless we are active military, (we're not) that the discount wouldn't apply.

Senior rates are available on all cruise lines, but not all cruises. Just like there are state rates available but not for all cruises. My suggestion is to check the cruiseline and see what discounts are available. If none that you qualify for, decide if you will pay the full price. If you decide on the cruise and the price goes down before final payment on most lines you will get the lower rate. On RCCL or Celebrity we have gotten a refund to our credit card if the rate goes down after final payment, but told on Carnival it is almost impossible to get.

Katie,that is not correct...(this came off VTG website)From time to time, one or more cruise lines will offer special discounts on select sailings to Vacations To Go customers who are members of the military. Military personnel must present proper documentation at the time of booking to qualify for the special rates. At the current time, the following military discounts are available:

Carnival offers military discounts to Vacations To Go customers who are active, reserve or retired members, or veterans, of the U.S. military

Celebrity offers military discounts to active, reserve and retired members of the U.S. military. Qualifying military personnel must present a photocopy of current military ID at the time of booking.

Royal Caribbean offers the same,but they are ONLY on select cruises.

***** has the military cruise rates posted on their website.Different lines give different discounts for status.(some active,reserves,retired,etc..some only for actives).Usually its for select cruises...but they have all the different discounts listed...

Dot

Dot,

We agree on who gets the discounts, but I wasn't aware you could get it on VTG for other than vets. (I was basically talking about the vet discount, not the active retired.) Someone posted on these boards a month or so about the discounts and an active person said that he/she had to get their discount thru a particular place that somehow I think was connected to the service.

I don't have anyone who is active military to check with and if VTG offers the discounts, that's great. I was only going by what was said on these boards regarding the active/retired discounts. I was going by my own query to RCCL regarding a discount for a vet.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anyone.

Katie,when I book online,I normally use VTG because I seem to get a better deal,and I use the 55+ (which Ive been enjoying for 2 years now:) ). And,I always tell my hubby my cruising is limited because he was never in the military! Dot

• 4 weeks later...

We have booked our transatlantic crossing on the Voyager in november on our last cruise, Radiance, Hawaii in may.

Then we came back and we´ve heard about the 55+discounts, but for another category. So our TA changed the categories from M to L (inside) and it was 200 $ cheaper per person. And we also get our 200 $ onboard credit, for booking while on a cruise with RCCL. We only had to pay a small amount for the change.

But why do the future cruise consultants don´t tell you about such discounts? Or the travelagents? Isn´t it their job, to inform the client/guest as good as possible?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm booked on the Sept 24 Carnival Miracle cruise through VTG. I booked with the military rate and checked back to see if the rate had gone down. In fact, the price has gone up, but the interesting thing is that now the senior rate is lower than the military rate for both balconies and suites. Since i qualify for both, I'd use the senior rate if I was booking now.

Archived