Harbour Nights

blueshine

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is actually available to do for Harbour Nights? Thanks

Mainly shopping, some entertainment. It's a typical street festival, a slightly larger version of Dockyard nights.

If you can, go at least once.

Mainly shopping, some entertainment. It's a typical street festival, a slightly larger version of Dockyard nights.

If you can, go at least once.

They do not have Dockyard nights anymore. Stopped a few years ago. Just mentioning that in case someone sees the mention of them in your post and asks about them.

As you say a street festival. Local artists and crafts people have their work displayed and for sale. Some food vendors. Some stuff for children to play on. Also colorful local dancers called Gombey dancers will do a dance down Front Street.

5926d7d2b46b4f55de453feaf3c35457.jpg

https://vimeo.com/156004465

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

When is the best time to get there? I see that they run from 7-10pm but is it better earlier or later?

Also, does anyone know if they have carriage rides in Hamilton and if so, how much they cost? I suppose it wouldn't be good to go on a carriage ride during Harbour Nights would it?

My opinion is earlier if you want to look at the tables of art and crafts. Later they have the dancers coming down the street. Also either once a month or once a summer, not sure which, they have Beating the Retreet) the Bermuda regiment marching down the street beating drums. Along with a bunch of long winded speeches. So earlier is better if you want to look at the vendors tables.

Yes, there are carriage rides. The cost depends on one horse or two. I did it six or seven years ago and I don't recall the cost. Likely it is not the same now anyhow. I would not do it during evening or morning rush hour. They do have a rush hour. I think after 6 pm and later is best.

My opinion is earlier if you want to look at the tables of art and crafts. Later they have the dancers coming down the street. Also either once a month or once a summer, not sure which, they have Beating the Retreet) the Bermuda regiment marching down the street beating drums. Along with a bunch of long winded speeches. So earlier is better if you want to look at the vendors tables.

Yes, there are carriage rides. The cost depends on one horse or two. I did it six or seven years ago and I don't recall the cost. Likely it is not the same now anyhow. I would not do it during evening or morning rush hour. They do have a rush hour. I think after 6 pm and later is best.

Great! Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it! :)

I second "earlier" but for a different reason. Trust me, you want to be heading back to the ship "earlier" than most of the other cruisers. Last time we went the last ferry got so packed that many folks were still left standing. Luckily we had the bus station's location memorized, so we scrambled to catch a bus... which was packed too.

The next year Bermuda added an extra 830pm ferry for each Harbor night. That may or may not happen in the future.

I second "earlier" but for a different reason. Trust me, you want to be heading back to the ship "earlier" than most of the other cruisers. Last time we went the last ferry got so packed that many folks were still left standing. Luckily we had the bus station's location memorized, so we scrambled to catch a bus... which was packed too.

The next year Bermuda added an extra 830pm ferry for each Harbor night. That may or may not happen in the future.

I think you mean extra 10:30 ferry. They have been adding extra ferry service between the scheduled 10:00 and 10:30 ferries so none will be left behind. I have been on an extra. I have gone to Harbour Nights the last two years. So I wouldn't worry about staying to the end of Harbour Nights.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks everyone. We're not night owls so I'm sure we'll go early and leave early. I don't relish the idea of cramming on a ferry or bus to get back.

• 2 weeks later...

If the festival goes from 7-10, what time would you recommend going? I'd like to see some of the street vendors, but I'd also like to see some of the dancers if they have them :)

Thanks!

If the festival goes from 7-10, what time would you recommend going? I'd like to see some of the street vendors, but I'd also like to see some of the dancers if they have them :)

Thanks!

I usually go early. At 7:00. They always have the dancers as far as I know since every time I have gone they have been there. I looked at my photos the last two years and the times taken both years for the dancing down Front St. was between 7:30 and 8:00. YMMV

Edited by Charles4515