Contacting the Diamond Princess by Phone

JimC

We will be sailing on the Diamond Princess in the Orient. Princess has provided a satellite phone number(a 900 #) for us to be contacted in the event of any emergencies at home. However, they say calls will only be received from 8am-12n and 4p-8p ship time. During most of thoise times we will either be on shore excursions or at dinner !! Does anyone know if there is a voicve-mail system on the Diamond so a message can be left in the cabin (like in a hotel)? Does anyone know if one can make calls FROM the ship to home at any time or is it restricted to these hours also?

I understood that the satellite phone call to the ship would be answered by the ship staff, and any messages for the passengers would be taken and left for you as appropriate. It is not a direct line to your room. Phone calls can be placed from your room, via satellite, at nearly any time, but this is dependant on satellite access/availability. Both types of calls cost $8.95 per minute.

There is a voice mail system in the cabins, but I don’t know for sure that calls coming in from off the ship can be forwarded to the system. I’ve not heard of a window when calls were accepted – it could be because of the ship’s location that the calls are limited. Might email be a better alternative? Assuming that the ship is positioned correctly, you should be able to access email 24 hours a day.

Remember those phone calls are expensive – about $10 per minute, so it's definitely something you want to use only in emergencies.

I had to call the Diamond last year when my parents were onboard (my grandfather had passed away). I called the 1-900 number and the ship's crew put me through to their room. They happened to be in their room at the time, so I didn't need to leave a message, so I have no idea if there's voice mail. But if someone on the ship calls your room phone, they can leave a VM, so maybe since they put me through to their room phone, maybe I would have been able to leave a VM? If not, I would imagine whoever answers the phone would take a message and leave it in the room?

• 10 years later...