BA vs Dawn to Bermuda

Viva_la_Vida

Is the Breakaway really worth the $600 or so difference? We love Bermuda. We went there on the Celebrity Summit two years ago, but this would be our first NCL cruise. We had a balcony on Celebrity due to being able to go in early June when the prices are lower, but we have no choice but to go in high season. We loved Celebrity, but since the destination is the same, we want to at least try a new ship.

We could pay the same amount and have an oceanview on the Dawn vs an inside on the BA. An oceanview on the BA would be $600 more total. We just can't see paying that much for a window.

What do you guys think - Inside on the BA or Oceanview on the Dawn?

Is the Breakaway really worth the $600 or so difference? We love Bermuda. We went there on the Celebrity Summit two years ago, but this would be our first NCL cruise. We had a balcony on Celebrity due to being able to go in early June when the prices are lower, but we have no choice but to go in high season. We loved Celebrity, but since the destination is the same, we want to at least try a new ship.

We could pay the same amount and have an oceanview on the Dawn vs an inside on the BA. An oceanview on the BA would be $600 more total. We just can't see paying that much for a window.

What do you guys think - Inside on the BA or Oceanview on the Dawn?

you are comparing an orange to an apple

more activity on the BA

Edited by Orleanscruiser

If it were me, the two things that would help me decide would be: Do I want to leave from Boston or NYC? And: Do I want the ropes course/water slides/restaurants on the Breakaway? The Breakaway to Bermuda is fantastic, and getting there was as much fun as the destination. But, if you like to lounge in the sun with a book and a drink-- you can do that for a lot less on the Dawn, also a lovely ship, just not as action packed.

This is fantastic and very helpful - thank you! I've found that the descriptions on the NCL website make the ships seem similar, although from what I'm gathering on the boards, they're not. The sizes are obviously different, but it seems like the Dawn has gotten restaurant updates and there are still lots to choose from. I'm definitely leaning towards the Dawn as I don't care a thing about slides or ropes. Thanks again!

Well, when I had the same decision to make I decided that it wasn't the extra money, so I sailed on the Dawn. And I was happy with that decision. However, the Dawn arrives on a Sunday, when pretty much everything outside the dockyard is closed, so depending on what you wanted to do, that might be a factor. The Breakaway is in port Wednesday through Friday, so you get three full days to explore anywhere on the island.

Part of the deciding factor for our cruise to Bermuda was also what day the ship sailed and returned. With Dawn leaving and returning on a Friday, that gave us the weekend to recover(laundry, mail, unpacking etc) instead of half a day before returning to the real world.

Edited by momoftwinteens

We have done both. We had a great time on both but we would choose the Dawn over the BA to Bermuda next time.

The BA being newer and bigger is a big draw for those with kids. There is so much to do.

The one pool offered on the BA for so many passengers is impossibly crowded all the time.

Sailing out of Boston is a breeze and much cheaper to park at the port.

If you want to really relax, go with the Dawn. ;)

Edited by janetz

Well, when I had the same decision to make I decided that it wasn't the extra money, so I sailed on the Dawn. And I was happy with that decision. However, the Dawn arrives on a Sunday, when pretty much everything outside the dockyard is closed, so depending on what you wanted to do, that might be a factor. The Breakaway is in port Wednesday through Friday, so you get three full days to explore anywhere on the island.

Ooh, great point. When you say everything closed, do you also mean limited or no public transportation? We would probably just want to go to the beach on Sunday so could get a cab if needed. Our main objective would be St. George. We missed seeing it last time and wanted to make sure we hit it this time, but could do that on Monday I suppose.

When you say everything closed, do you also mean limited or no public transportation?
There are buses and ferries, but they run on a limited schedule on Sunday (and in particular they stop running quite early in the evening). It's also harder to get a cab on Sunday evening, but you can always call for one.

The shops at Dockyard are open, and that could fill up an afternoon I suppose. If you manage to get to Hamilton or St George on Sunday I think just about everything is closed.

If you want to do the south shore beaches on Sunday, it is certainly possible. Otherwise it's also a good day to schedule an excursion (e.g. catamaran cruise) because independent visiting is likely to be kind of a bust that day.

Ooh, great point. When you say everything closed, do you also mean limited or no public transportation? We would probably just want to go to the beach on Sunday so could get a cab if needed. Our main objective would be St. George. We missed seeing it last time and wanted to make sure we hit it this time, but could do that on Monday I suppose.

I believe the public transportation still runs, but on a reduced schedule. The shops in Hamilton and St George will all be closed on Sunday, but the beaches are open, I think. Honestly, my plan was already to spend Sunday in King's Wharf, as I was arriving at 1pm on the last day of the America's Cup World Series and didn't want to fight the traffic. Then we visited Hamilton on Monday, and stayed in King's Wharf area again on Tuesday (we were scheduled for afternoon tea at the Dockyard Pastry Shop, which was yummy btw). We had done St George on our previous visit, so were okay with skipping it.

For me, it was the Breakway, because the first port day in Bermuda for the Dawn falls on a Sunday. One of my co-workers went on their honeymoon to Bermuda on the Dawn and said everything was closed on Sunday. If you're a beach person, it's probably a non-issue. On the Breakaway, it's Wednesday through Friday for the port days.

Edited by TardisDance