Voom on Allure with iPhone - new questions

My wife and I each have iPhone 6 and are interested in Voom internet on Allure. I understand that we can both send/receive emails. But, will we be able to text using Messages (the green icon) on the iPhone? Or, must we download a different app? If it's a different app, then what app have people used for iPhone on cruises that works really well?

I would much rather buy Voom than rent the Royal Connect phones (or whatever they're calling them now).

Also, in order to avoid unwanted charges, I forget what we're supposed to do on the phones to use the ship's wifi but not use any of our own data plan. Do we have to turn ON airplane mode + turn OFF cellular data? Or, just do one or the other? Again, this is for an iPhone.

Thanks in advance!!!

My wife and I each have iPhone 6 and are interested in Voom internet on Allure. I understand that we can both send/receive emails. But, will we be able to text using Messages (the green icon) on the iPhone? Or, must we download a different app? If it's a different app, then what app have people used for iPhone on cruises that works really well?

I would much rather buy Voom than rent the Royal Connect phones (or whatever they're calling them now).

Also, in order to avoid unwanted charges, I forget what we're supposed to do on the phones to use the ship's wifi but not use any of our own data plan. Do we have to turn ON airplane mode + turn OFF cellular data? Or, just do one or the other? Again, this is for an iPhone.

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes, you can text using iMessage.

Turn on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. That will eliminate any changes from the cell company.

I will be on Allure next week while two of my three children are on their own trips in Europe. They suggested a different messaging app than my standard iphone one for messaging since the new one can be used via wifi and because they both use Samsung phones (my children are definitely way ahead of me on the electronics know how side of things!) We are all set on whatsapp now and hopefully it will work.

But I am curious to see if someone does have answers for your questions to help me know what will and won't work for us.

Thanks

I will be on Allure next week while two of my three children are on their own trips in Europe. They suggested a different messaging app than my standard iphone one for messaging since the new one can be used via wifi and because they both use Samsung phones (my children are definitely way ahead of me on the electronics know how side of things!) We are all set on whatsapp now and hopefully it will work.

But I am curious to see if someone does have answers for your questions to help me know what will and won't work for us.

Thanks

WhatsApp will also work over the WiFi. It's good for you because it's multi-platform, whereas iMessage is Apple only.

If you turn on Airplane mode you will have to go into settings and turn on the WiFi.

Try it at home and you will be able to do the same things when on the ship.

Using Oasis WiFi I was able to text, Email, and FaceTime on my IPhone 6. I even texted photographs and video clips. We were on the first sailing after they turned on the new WiFi system and it worked great.

Edited by jamesr3939

I always turn off cellular data but leave the phone on. The reason is that I want to see incoming text (no charge to me) and screen calls for emergencies.

Another good app we use is the new FaceTime messenger, you can even call from it too. Sometimes the imessage just does not work between 2 iPhones so this is easier. I tried to use FaceTime when on the Breeze but the new carnival internet is not that great but I have heard VROOM is far superior.

We already purchased the 2 decide plan for me and my oldest DD to make sure she can keep in touch.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone explain how the pricing "per person" works? How does RCL know who is using the internet?

Can both people in a cabin share one device? Or switch back and forth between 2 devices (only logging in to 1 at a time)?

Can someone explain how the pricing "per person" works? How does RCL know who is using the internet?

Can both people in a cabin share one device? Or switch back and forth between 2 devices (only logging in to 1 at a time)?

There is no "per person" internet pricing. There is pricing for one simultaneous device and pricing for two simultaneous devices. The system does not know about cabins, just how many devices are connected at one time per account.

Also most carriers offer short-term international plans if you might need to make emergency phone calls (work, etc). Verizon has a "tower" on board as well, but you still need to call/visit them prior to embarking.

There is no "per person" internet pricing. There is pricing for one simultaneous device and pricing for two simultaneous devices. The system does not know about cabins, just how many devices are connected at one time per account.

If I select both guests at checkout, the price doubles.

Yes, you can text using iMessage.

Turn on airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. That will eliminate any changes from the cell company.

IMessage is the blue box, OP was asking about SMS texting, i.e. green box. You can not send SMS texts over wifi, at least not from the standard iphone message app unless the iphone has wifi calling enabled and is able to connect to the ATT network via wifi.

By the way, I was able to send and receive SMS texts via wifi calling recently on the Explorer while in Australia. I was very surprised that it connected to the ATT network from Australia.

If I select both guests at checkout, the price doubles.

That means you are buying a package for both guests. If you only need one device or two devices at a time, just buy that package for one guest.

Thanks in advance!!!

Go into Settings; scroll down to Messages, turn on iMessage; also you can go to "Phone" (just above Messages) and turn on WiFi Calling and then you can make and receive phone calls too; then go into airplane mode but turn WiFi back on.

I hope this helps.

Di

Also most carriers offer short-term international plans if you might need to make emergency phone calls (work, etc). Verizon has a "tower" on board as well, but you still need to call/visit them prior to embarking.

Verizon does not have a tower on board to my knowledge. The onboard cell tower and cell service (Cellular at Sea) I'm pretty sure is owned and operated by Royal. They just have roaming agreements with the various carriers.

That means you are buying a package for both guests. If you only need one device or two devices at a time, just buy that package for one guest.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to get at but I did a poor job of describing my question. I thought there might be a catch to only selecting one person.

WhatsApp will also work over the WiFi. It's good for you because it's multi-platform, whereas iMessage is Apple only.

What's App has added benefit of working well for us beyond the cruise-- we use it to keep west coast sons and son in France in touch with Mom and Dad in NC and each other-- works great for all

you can go to "Phone" (just above Messages) and turn on WiFi Calling and then you can make and receive phone calls too; then go into airplane mode but turn WiFi back on.

I hope this helps.

Di

Provided the OP's carrier has implemented wifi calling. If the OP's carrier is ATT, they also need to be in an area that supports HD Voice in order to enable wifi calling.

Thanks, that is what I was trying to get at but I did a poor job of describing my question. I thought there might be a catch to only selecting one person.

The only catch is that the cruise line wants you to spend as much money as possible, so the website is designed to be confusing.

Provided the OP's carrier has implemented wifi calling. If the OP's carrier is ATT, they also need to be in an area that supports HD Voice in order to enable wifi calling.

I did not know that about AT&T, thanks for the info! (We have Sprint)