Is there a fee for drinks in port with UDP?

Disprincess2213

Not true. On Getaway's current itinerary sales tax is collected at least at GSC (Bahamas) besides Miami.

If they charge tax at GSC then they must have changed since Feb 2016 because I did not have any taxes charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not true. On Getaway's current itinerary sales tax is collected at least at GSC (Bahamas) besides Miami.

If they charge tax at GSC then they must have changed since Feb 2016 because I did not have any taxes charged.

We were there on Jan 2016, IIRC it was the first time ever we were charged taxes on GSC.

We are leaving from New York to Bermuda. What is the sales tax? How much is it and how do i know when it's in effect?

You are looking at less than $1 per drink. This tax will be in effect until the ship passes the Verazzano and gets out into international waters (probably about another 1/2 hour past the bridge).

The only place they have to collect sales tax is in US ports, and not even all of them require it.

In Europe, as someone already said, if the vessel does not leave the European Customs zone, Value Added Tax may apply for all purchases on board. The tax rates and whether VAT is actually charged vary from country to country.

I have heard a lot of moans about intra-EU cruises commencing in Spain and the VAT charged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Anybody know about Harvest Caye? I know the drinks are not included on the island itself. But does NCL charge sales tax on drinks aboard the ship at this port? Belize has a 12.5% sales tax. So you are looking at around 2 bucks a drink while in port there if they do. Not a deal breaker for sure. But it could add up if you are on a bender :)

As far as I know, on EU-only cruises, the rate doesn't change from day to day depending on the ship's location, it always remains at the rate of the country of embarkation.

But if anyone is still being charged VAT on $0 UBP orders, they should report it here. NCL has admitted to customers that they should not have been doing this over the past few years. This has been a recurring issue on Barcelona departures. I wonder if that means that Spain received too much tax from NCL, or if NCL collected too much and kept it. Either way, not good.

As Bollinge explained, the stakes are higher on EU cruises, because it's not just a dollar here and there when the ship is in port. It's 10% on every drink, throughout the cruise. :eek: