Questions about Zuiderdam

Marcia&Bob

This our first cruise on a HAL ship. Does anyone know how the onboard daily ship activities compare to other ships such as Radiance of the Seas or Century? Does the ship feel crowded, is there plenty of open deck space to enjoy looking at the water? These are things that the cruise boards do not mention much about, but are important to my wife and I. We are in our 50's and my mother is also going with us on her first cruise. We aren't party animals, but do enjoy enjoy demos, talks and food. Thanks for any info.

When we sailed the Zuiderdam in March, it was just about a sold out ship and we never felt crowded, there was always a spot to go if you wanted some peace and quiet.

We have always found plenty to do onboard the HAL ships, I am sure you will as well, but I am not sure how they would compare to other cruise lines as its been a while since I have sailed another line.

There is more space per passenger on the Vista Class ships than on almost any other mass-market ships.

One thing that HAL has on all her ships is the wrap-around Promenade Deck. Walkers love to be able to walk the whole way around the ship and 'sea watchers' love to relax in one of the fabulous teak deck chairs that HAL is famous for.

We have been on five Zuiderdam cruises and never felt crowded except in the Photo Shop area. That is a terrible design IMO but that certainly is of little consequence in the whole scheme of an entire cruise.

HAL offers most of the usual shipboard activities .....the same sort you find on Celebrity.

The cruise director schedules lots of differing activities, games, contests, etc. And they do hold cooking demos, too, usually by the chef of the Pinnacle Grill.

HAL is known for its favorable passenger/space ratio, so you shouldn't feel like you're in a crowd. (Except, as Sail7Seas noted, when you're trying to get out of the dining room and through the photo shop! What were they thinking????)

The Zuiderdam's decor is a bit more "flashy" than the HAL norm, but we found it rather fun. She's a nice ship, and I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

We cruised on the Zuiderdam last December. It was a sold out ship. It never once felt crowded. Two things I would highly recommend doing onboard. One, attend the Dessert Extravaganza. If dietary restrictions prevent you from partaking, you should at least go and see the talents of the pastry chefs. It is Amazing! Second, I would attend the High Tea. Not stuffy. We sat at the back of the boat in the Vista Lounge and had an amazing view of the water and wake. One thing that I have heard great things about is the Gally Tour. We were not on the boat the day they offered that. Next time, we will make sure we are able to go. Enjoy!

We just returned from the Zuiderdam on Oct. 8th and saved all of the "Daily Programs". If you are interested in knowing about anything in particular let me know and I will look it up for you.

I agree with all of the early posters about the ship not feeling crowded at all.

Richard

We were on the October 1st Zuiderdam cruise also. Was not crowded except in the Lido during peak lunch and breakfast time. We felt there were more activities on the RCCL Brilliance on a cruise 2.5 years ago and on our 2004 Christmas cruise on Celebrity Summit. The Z is a laid back ship and we found the entertainment in lounges to be light music. Were hoping for a 50's - 60's style band in a club. Elton John impersonator great but we found other entertainment just average.

Archived