Solo in Nassau?

Newbcruiser1

Hi all,

I have been to Nassau on land vacations (to Atlantis) but never on a cruise (somehow... 10 cruises and never stopped there!).

I'll be sailing solo on the Independence of the Seas TA cruise in May, and will be in Nassau on a weekday from 8-3:30. As I will have 9 full sea days to spend onboard, I would like to get off the ship and do something while in Nassau. Having said that though, I am a 30-ish female and as I will be sailing solo, am cognizant of my safety.

The ship's excursions are all extremely pricey and nothing really appeals to me. I thought about maybe getting a day pass to a resort? Can anyone tell me about their experiences doing that? Which resort did you use? Cost? Distance from pier? Taxi cost? Safety of the taxi and on the resort itself?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for the replies!

I'd like to have access to chairs and restroom facilities so I think the Paradise Island beaches are off limits (without purchasing a day pass... And I'm not willing to spend the amount that Atlantis charges! :) ).

LOL yup I know - Atlantis does hold a special place in my heart though as I received a wish trip there as a young teenager after battling some major health problems. So my mind always diverts to Atlantis!

Thank you for the link! Looks like I have some research to do! :)

This link is much more relevant... http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/what-to-do/day-passes/

Melia seems to be the most reasonably priced, by far. If our day in Nassau was longer, I might have splurged on the Hilton or Atlantis, but I won't have much time to eat there or anything anyway so I think the Melia will be a great option!

Any experience with the Melia or others? Getting there? I know there are shared taxis which are less expensive but I assume coming back to the ship I'll need a private taxi? The Hilton is walkable but the cost seems high and I don't really need that food credit that it comes with.

What kind of excursions are you considering? I've gone to Nassau solo on my Sensation cruise, and didn't see anything "extremely pricey". Most excursions ran between $40 to $100. The only ones higher than that were golf, dolphin swims, and Atlantis. I found a historic fortress tour and a pirate museum for $55 in total. We went on a designated bus between sites, and the historic buildings were very interesting. Totally worth the price. Oh, and try the Kalik beer while you're there; good stuff!

This link is much more relevant... http://www.nassauparadiseisland.com/what-to-do/day-passes/

Melia seems to be the most reasonably priced, by far. If our day in Nassau was longer, I might have splurged on the Hilton or Atlantis, but I won't have much time to eat there or anything anyway so I think the Melia will be a great option!

Any experience with the Melia or others? Getting there? I know there are shared taxis which are less expensive but I assume coming back to the ship I'll need a private taxi? The Hilton is walkable but the cost seems high and I don't really need that food credit that it comes with.

I have not been to Paradise Island for while but there used to be a water taxi from the docks to the Island and back. The price was rather moderate. You may wish to look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all! I think I've decided to do the day pass at the Melia (although the Hilton is still on the table). It's on Cable Beach, not Paradise Island, so the water taxi won't work. I checked the paradise island resort day passes and they're too pricey (and I'm not a drinker so I don't need an all-inclusive).

The stop in Nassau is actually at the beginning of the cruise - it's day 2 of 13! So after working all week and a busy day of flying down and boarding the ship, I will welcome the relaxation (even though I'll still have 9 sea days to relax after that). There's something nice about sitting/walking on the actual beach! :)

Sandals is adults only.
It's also couples only. Solos are not allowed, period. My recommendation would be to do a history excursion; Nassau's British architecture and old military fortresses are really cool. And it's safer in a group, as I've seen travel advisories for Nassau. But if you're looking for a "lie on the beach" experience, sorry, I got nothing.

That's pretty appalling. Anyone know why?

Sandal's is a couple's resort......if I am not mistaken, it has always

been that way.

Why? I guess because they can......I would not call it appalling, but

that is just my opinion. I prefer to cruise anyway;):):D

That's pretty appalling. Anyone know why?
It's just the type of resort Sandals is. They choose to serve the lovey-dovey couples demographic, and solos (or families, for that matter) would get in the way of that. In all honesty, it wouldn't appeal to me even if I had a significant other. The over-the-top luxury feels forced, and the unwritten expectation to be together 24/7 (read some Sandals reviews!) is downright stifling.

I wouldn't call it appalling, either. It's just the nature of the resort. Somehow, it doesn't strike me as a personal affront, like an anti-solo cruise line would.