Newbuild - Seabourn Encore

London-Calling

As the ships get larger, it seems entirely possible that the safety drills who'll move to multiple locations as on larger vessels with the theatre and other public venues also providing possible lifeboat staging areas.

And as people travel to the multiple venues the staff can try to upsell them the new mixology drink with baseball sized ice cube in a commemorative Seabourn Drink of the Day glass for only $50

/I jest

There is lots of anticipation onboard Odyssey now for Encore which partly explains our curiosity about its specifics. The question of how the muster drill will be administered has been on our minds. Yes, the drill will have to be managed in separate locations simultaneously given the point that the MDR surely won't seat 604 passengers.

We will be on the inaugural cruise starting in Dubai to Sydney which includes the maiden voyage from Singapore to Bali. The first muster drill will be out of Athens (the Athens to Dubai segment) though. Passengers starting out there may report about it. But if not I will do so.

Happy sailing!

We will be on the inaugural cruise starting in Dubai

You do of course mean the second cruise.

By the time the maiden voyage comes along Mr Luxury & I will have decimated the cellar, Emily will have scrawled crayon everywhere and worn out the buttons on the elevators, our respective wives will have run the staff ragged with requests for exotic fruits, speciality cocktails and culinary treats and Somali pirates will have been repelled.

What little there is left will be in dire need of a re-fit :)

I have no doubt Seabourn will ensure dinner is available most nights and given muster drill is somewhat less arduous than the mainstream lines it will be handled appropriately.

A treat for the end of the year which will be well documented...

Henry :)

Able Seaman H,

Interesting post- as yours often are. So let's not fall out over semantics. No, no, no. While I get your point that I will be on the second cruise, I prefer to think of the Dubai to Sydney trip as the Inaugural, partly because it includes the Sing to Bali cruise which is properly named the Inaugural Cruise by Seabourn.

You see, you, Emily and Mr L will be on the Shakedown Cruise from Athens. Where I am pleased to learn that you and your will be washing walls and training bar staff etc in advance of our embarkation in Dubai. We will be taking a tried and true - you know, tested - alternative, the Sojourn from Monte Carlo to Dubai - and await the Encore.

Depending on how difficult your passage is, and what ship's management, Mr L, you and others report on your circumstances, happy or otherwise, I will ensure that Encore gets more swizzle sticks, Windowlene, crossword puzzles, printer toner, "No reserving deckchairs" reminders, "Forget about those blue jeans, lycra gym shorts and/or beachwear after 18:00" signs for the Observation Bar, or whatever else is needed. From the dependable stores of Sojourn.

Chin up, matey. I hope your shakedown is uneventful, that you have hot water, and that the crew is not too foul tempered and exhausted from their travails. With your assistance, it should be mitigated somewhat, right?

Happy sailing!

Well, each time I have the new brochure of Seabourn in hands, it is with regret that I miss the 3 little sisters as they were called. Small ships able to enter places where other could not go.

Honestly I don't find any attraction anymore in Seabourn.

When I see that all ports requiring small ships... the calls are replaced by Ponant!!! But thats my opinion.:mad:

If you haven't been on the Odyssey class ships then you won't appreciate how much better they are than the OLD little sisters. We've never experienced circumstances where they couldn't go where the smaller ships would have gone. What the newer ships don't match is the "intimacy" of the older ones, but I would swap that any day for the far better amenities offered (Seabourn Square, a usable pool with good size pool deck, better dining venues and choices, all suites with balconies). It will be interesting to compare Encore with the current fleet and whether the size difference is appreciable.