11-Day Mediterranean Isles Sojourn

Japesurf

Considering July 14th 11-Day Mediterranean Isles cruise and would like any recommendations given. The last time I sailed with Seabourn It was 25 years ago on the Pride before kids family etc. We are comparing to Crystal cruises, which we sailed last year and enjoyed very much, but like itinerary of this cruise much more. We are in our early 50's and enjoy mingling in the evening and whatever trouble we can get into, LOL. Is the Sojourn have much of a night life? Our youngest daughter (16) has sworn off any type of cruises after last year, but we may or may not insist she join us depending on the demographics of age, ect.

Edited by Japesurf

A Med cruise may be more active at night than some others, but then again night life seems to vary from cruise to cruise. In the Med the demographics may be younger, but you won't really know until you board. If you daughter isn't good at entertaining herself I wouldn't recommend bringing her onto Seabourn, she'll likely be bored (if she can entertain herself - see if you can get some suggestions for AbleSeamans daughter). Hows does she like smoke, you? Sadly sometimes the only nightlife may be in the Observation lounge where smoking is allowed.

We did the Eastern Med on Odyssey last August and there was quite a young crowd of twenty somethings. But i think it would have been a struggle for a 16 year old to keep up. Not even wine with dinner! Japesurf's daughter seems to have a pretty sensible view of things. My kids were 23 and 24 at the time and they really enjoyed it. I was amazed how the Club seemed to stay open until all hours (i think 4 in the morning was quoted one night - needless to say I wasn't around to verify it). So i think the nightlife can be pretty good - small tip - bring an iPod with your favourite dance tunes and plug it in once the musicians have gone to bed and be your own DJ. We're doing the western Med on Sojourn this year and, given that we're relative newbies, it'll be interesting to see if its a different mix of people .

While it is quite likely that there will be some junior travellers on board mid-July, there is absolutely no guarantee there would be any of a suitable age to be company. Seabourn does not cater at all to children of any age. Any possibility of persuading a young friend of hers to join you?

small tip - bring an iPod with your favourite dance tunes and plug it in once the musicians have gone to bed and be your own DJ.

Lol didn't know you can do that, gonna try this July too.

從我的 用 iPhone 發送

It depends on the cruise director as to whether you will get your tunes played in the club when the band finish playing. If you are part of a larger group then more chance. To be fair there will also be people complaining it's too loud etc. You can never win !!

Emily was 14 when we did the Med cruise in last year, 15 when we did Christmas. She loves cruising Seabourn and has about 60 nights onboard.

Ems is happy to entertain herself she also tends to get on well with the singers & dancers being a dancer. She enjoys trivia quiz though fails miserably when the token kids question about Harry Potter comes round having never read the books or seen the films.

She enjoys the shows, mingles well with older people and enjoys getting dressed up for dinner. We as a family play a few games together.

On the Med cruise there weren't any other kids her age, on Christmas cruise there were and she struck up a friendship. This December she has already arranged with 2 other families to be there so there will be at least 2 younger people she knows.

I would suggest you bite the bullet and drop $400 on the unlimited internet package, it will save a lot of angst and allow your daughter to keep in touch whilst away, internet is oxygen to the youth.

The Med cruises tend to be quite port intensive so there will plenty to do during the day, at night we have a couple of drinks in the Observation lounge, then go down for dinner, do the show then hit the club. Dancing under the stars and so on goes down well with Ems.

There are unlimited free films in cabin with a good selection to choose from, lots of games in the card room which you can take out and use around the ship. I have to say we/ve never struggled with smoking on board and I suffer Asthma. We don't do the observation lounge after dinner which is when smoking is allowed I believe.

Staff will be lovely to your daughter as they are to everyone particularly if she is equally pleasant in return. You might encounter the odd anti children passenger but there are massively in the minority and are grumpy old people who moan about everything so no one bothers listening to them.

Hope that is of use, if you have any specific questions fire away.

Henry :)

Seabourn is not catered for children or teenagers and we quite like that. We are in our late thirties/early forties and often found we are the youngest on the ship except the crews. The most children/teenagers we have seen on a med cruise during school holidays is 1 very young child and 3 teenagers (same family). If I am honest, the teenagers often look quite bored and we feel sorry for them as Seabourn is a very relaxed, lay back cruise line. As suggested, to bring a friend for you child or an alternative cruise line might be a better solution.

It was Emily who pushed us to have our last 2 Seabourn cruises and our forthcoming December Encore cruise.

A lot of people on here seem extremely passionate about telling you to go elsewhere if you have children. We almost had tickets on Disney purchased for us :)

i work as a teacher so know that children can be charming or not depending on many factors. What does annoy me be it on a cruise or in a restaurant is not the children themselves but the parents who sit together in a gaggle and allow their little darlings to run riot - it's the last thing I want to have to cope with whilst on holiday. However, most of the children I have seen on Seabourn and similar cruise lines have been well-supervised and so well-behaved - even the tinys in push chairs.

I think parents should be aware of the limited amount of children's facilities on these ships and their child/children's boredom threshold and make a decision based on that especially as they will be the ones who will have to entertain them.

Teenagers and young adults have completely different needs and it is great if there is someone of a similar age, however, many young people are perfectly capable of 'holding their own' with a group of adults - Henry - Emily sounds like one of them. As long as they have internet connection for their devices then they are generally able to entertain themselves. :D

I've been on Disney. Twice. If you can ignore the so-so to bad food, hordes of screaming children and a riot (not the fun kind) of a disembarkation process it's not terrible. Overpriced for what you get IMO.

I've had the flu a few times. If you take away the fact you can't taste food, your head hurts, your nose runs, you have a sore throat, your joints ache and you are constantly shivering it's brilliant. You get to spend the day in bed watching telly with people bringing you your meals.