A Few NCL Questions - alcohol, upsell, etc...

JuneBugFL

I have a few questions that I hope you guys might have some info on. I am booked on the Escape 5/21 in a solo studio, and though final payment is not yet due, I am all paid.

For reference I am 29 and am going on this cruise for my 30th bday. My brother, who is 19, has expressed interest in coming along, and so far our parents have said it would be ok with them. When he was a minor I often acted as his legal guardian when they were not available, but I am not sure that still applies now that he is a legal adult.

My questions are as follows:

1. Is it possible to change my booking and add a passenger while not losing the free promos I got when I booked (SDP4 and UBP)?

2. NCL states that young adults (18-20) may drink beer and wine while aboard if their parent or legal guardian signs the waiver at guest services (https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy )- will they accept me as legal guardian in this matter? What proof might I need?

3. If both 1 and 2 happen, would he be eligible for the UBP for the wine and beer only? Or would this be out of pocket?

4. Should I try to call them to cancel and rebook, or would it be possible to do this as an upsell when it gets closer to the sail date?

5. I have a passport, he only has a DL - it is closed loop from Miami - I wouldn't need to do a rush passport for him, would I?

I'm sure I might be leaving something out in my questions, and I should probably just call NCL with these questions, but the last time I called them with a question I got conflicting answers. So if anyone has first hand experience with this, I would appreciate your replies.

Thanks!

I have a few questions that I hope you guys might have some info on. I am booked on the Escape 5/21 in a solo studio, and though final payment is not yet due, I am all paid.

For reference I am 29 and am going on this cruise for my 30th bday. My brother, who is 19, has expressed interest in coming along, and so far our parents have said it would be ok with them. When he was a minor I often acted as his legal guardian when they were not available, but I am not sure that still applies now that he is a legal adult.

Answers...

1. Is it possible to change my booking and add a passenger while not losing the free promos I got when I booked (SDP4 and UBP)?

Call NCL

2. NCL states that young adults (18-20) may drink beer and wine while aboard if their parent or legal guardian signs the waiver at guest services (https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy )- will they accept me as legal guardian in this matter? What proof might I need?

Call NCL

3. If both 1 and 2 happen, would he be eligible for the UBP for the wine and beer only? Or would this be out of pocket?

Call NCL

4. Should I try to call them to cancel and rebook, or would it be possible to do this as an upsell when it gets closer to the sail date?

Call NCL

5. I have a passport, he only has a DL - it is closed loop from Miami - I wouldn't need to do a rush passport for him, would I?

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

I'm sure I might be leaving something out in my questions, and I should probably just call NCL with these questions, but the last time I called them with a question I got conflicting answers. So if anyone has first hand experience with this, I would appreciate your replies.

Thanks!

Thanks for bringing the snark. :cool: I was hoping to see if anyone had a similar experience, I was planning on calling NCL tomorrow, but I work nights and will be sleeping and then going to work, so I have to see if I have time to fit in what would probably be a rather lengthy phone call.

Thanks for bringing the snark. :cool: I was hoping to see if anyone had a similar experience, I was planning on calling NCL tomorrow, but I work nights and will be sleeping and then going to work, so I have to see if I have time to fit in what would probably be a rather lengthy phone call.

You are going to end up calling them one way or the other! They are open 8:00 am - Midnight M-F... BTW no snark was intended what so ever. No matter what replies you get here, they will be opinions or what might have happened in the past for others. What is important is what NCL will do for you in this case! :)

Edited by EyeSeaEwe

I'm pretty sure that beverage packages are only available to over 21s even if a guardian has signed the form for under 21s to drink.

Perhaps the bigger issue is that reports on here are that NCL are very strict on who can sign the form and unless you can show that you are the legal guardian then I don't think you will be able to do that bit anyway.

Studio cabins are only for one guest, and your brother wouldn't be able to book hi own studio since he's not 21. You'll need to cancel your original booking and select a cabin that will sleep 2. You'll get the current promotional options and pricing at the time you rebook.

The UBP can't be purchased or given as a promotional option to a guest under 21.

Your brother would need his birth certificate, and drivers license to do the round trip cruise on the Escape.

As for the question on the drinking waiver I would only be guessing on that....so I won't bother. The person at the desk on the ship you speak with will be the one making that decision.

Edited by Got Tequila?

4. Should I try to call them to cancel and rebook, or would it be possible to do this as an upsell when it gets closer to the sail date? So if anyone has first hand experience with this, I would appreciate your replies.

Thanks!

I can help a bit here.

You can always call the regular reservation number and upsell yourself to another category of cabin without losing your original booking promos.

I say another category cabin because you will find that booking two in an inside cabin is usually less expensive than booking two Solo Studios.

Whatever you do don't cancel and rebook if you want to keep your original "Perks". NCL will recognize the Perks available on your "Booking Date", not the date of any changes made to the reservation. Cancelling will change your Booking Date.

But as others have said you need to call NCL, read the terms and conditions for the Perks you are receiving, and without official "Guardian Status" you will not be able to sign for your brother.