Celebrity: 2006 vs. 2016

benbess

Actually, Century was the first ship in a joint venture with Ctrip and the Chinese operator. They're trying a few angles to access the Chinese market, and that's one of them.

So like the others, still 'in the family.'

I had in the back of my mind that Ctrips was a Joint Venture, but now was not turning up confirmation, so I appreciate your input on that.

"In the family" is an apt description. RCCL also owns Pullmantur and many RCCL ships have gone to (and come from) there. Azamara's two ships used to be at Pullmantur, Horizon and Zenith both passed through Pullmantur before going to CDF. A number of RCI ships have gone to Pullmantur, and one of them (Empress) is now coming back to RCI. RCCL already had a merry-go-round of ships prior to installing a merry-go-round ride on Oasis:D

Thom

Ctrips itself is Chinese, but they formed a joint venture with RCL to create "SkySea" who actually operate (and I believe now own) the ship.

Here's a ctrip press release referring to it, with background information: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-and-ctrip-announce-joint-venture-through-skysea-cruises-283525171.html (the "one ship" referred to is Century.)

"RCCL already had a merry-go-round of ships prior to installing a merry-go-round ride on Oasis."

Haha. I'm surprised that they do seem to want to hold them internally - but that's a good thing in the end, as they know (and can find out) their provenance better in subsidiaries than if they just took on externally supplied ones.

I have to disagree with those that comment that the price of a stateroom has increased. The price of our 14 night med cruise in 2007 or 8 cruise (in a simply balcony stateroom) was over $8000 Canadian dollars! We have never paid that much for any of our subsequent X cruises (all CC or AQ class)! Base cruise prices have only dropped over the last 10 years.

With that said, what is included in the base price, as well as service have decreased. Alas, this is to be expected, but I wish they would stop shelling their base product. I miss the enhanced service and other things that made X unique.

You are so lucky that your price is dropping in the past 10 years. All cruises that I have sailed on in the past 10 years ( average 3 cruises a year), I am paying more every year for a similar cabin and itinerary. My TA cruise in 2017 is 30% more that I just had in November 2015.

Cruising is not what used to be 10 years ago. Some of it is better, some of it getting worst.

You are so lucky that your price is dropping in the past 10 years. All cruises that I have sailed on in the past 10 years ( average 3 cruises a year), I am paying more every year for a similar cabin and itinerary. My TA cruise in 2017 is 30% more that I just had in November 2015.

Cruising is not whatg used to be 10 years ago. Some of it is better, some of it getting worst.

For our cruises mostly in the Caribbean prices have increased a minimum of 30% and most often much more. We've been on a couple that have literally doubled over the past few years. These are facts, not speculation. Due to all the supposed 'FREE' perks our net cost remains much much more expensive as we are not big drinkers, and already had some of those perks by virtue of our captains club status. So for us, the price increases are very real and substantial. Perhaps sailings in other regions are different.

For our cruises mostly in the Caribbean prices have increased a minimum of 30% and most often much more. We've been on a couple that have literally doubled over the past few years. These are facts, not speculation. Due to all the supposed 'FREE' perks our net cost remains much much more expensive as we are not big drinkers, and already had some of those perks by virtue of our captains club status. So for us, the price increases are very real and substantial. Perhaps sailings in other regions are different.

My feelings are exactly the same as yours. What I am paying for 10 days Carib now , we used to pay for 14 days back few years ago. The only price game make sense for me is to wait after final payment and get residential or senior price without perks. I am flexible with cabin location for substantial price difference. And I don't book on board anymore....