Alaskan Cruise 2017

babycatsy

So I know the dates will come out in March/April and I'm anticipating my budget and buying the tickets for the cruise.

We are planning to be 3 adults in a balcony room and don't really care which month we are going - we are basically asking our TA to book the cheapest cruise she can.

However, From looking at past prices it seems like May or August is the cheapest time to go -- whats the benefit of going to Alaska during one month vs the other.

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer season opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!

Instead of trying to book the cheapest cruise.... consider a cheaper pre/post-cruise hotel. In Vancouver.... check out the prices a few blocks away from the cruise terminal for significant savings.

Personally, I'm happy with an oceanview as I can go on deck for a grander vista during glacier viewings.

Not too keen on walking around wearing a plastic bag and umbrella on August/September port days.

Must have Glacier Bay as an itinerary.

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

We had an amazing late August cruise--warm, misty but never overt rain. Great views, super excursions, an all round great cruise. Temps were such that hoodies were appropriate--glad I left the heavy coats at home.

Sorry, I can't address May. But our weather, etc. could not have been better.

If budget is an issue, consider an ocean view with no balcony. We had the large porthole room for our Alaska trip and the views were amazing. We also found plenty of quiet places on deck, so we didn't really miss the balcony.

The only reason why budget is an issue is because I was set on the balcony and the 'cheapest time' (which could only be a few hundred bucks) seems to be May for Disney.

For 2016 the May dates are May 23-29 and May 30-5.

We are from New Orleans and typically do not like to leave our house from June - mid September due to hurricane season; which is why we are also a little set for May.

It was just announced at work that we have a vacation block June 4-17 which usually includes the 2 weeks before and after (May 21-June 3; June 18-30). My boss said I could put in my vacation time after I book the cruise (which would tie up about 9 vacation days for the whole year of 2016 ahhh).

Dates are announced next month and I've been saving for this trip for 2.5 years (celebrating mom's 60th. sisters and i's 30th -- even though we will be 63, 33, 30 at the time of sailing).

We are dead set on Disney because we are buying the Disney Gift Cards via Target via Swagbucks to save money :)

Anyways - maybe i'll just be a problem employee and stick with May; even though some of the tips point to June/July is the better time (June is totally out of the books and July might be doable).