Given the choice, Destiny or Legend for Southern Carib?

gtalum

I am considering a Southern Caribbean cruise for next November. I'm torn between Destiny out of San Juan and Legend out of Ft. Lauderdale. Destiny is 7 days and 4 ports, Legend is 8 days and 3 ports. Destiny is less expensive than Legend in just cruise price, but Destiny incurs extra cost in getting to San Juan, whereas I can easily drive to the Legend in Ft. Lauderdale. Destiny's itinerary looks more interesting to me. The sea days on Legend appeal to me. I loved the Spirit-class Carnival Miracle, but I'd like to try a bigger ship. Decisions, decisions!

Which one would you do if everything else were equal?

I've sailed on the Destiny and the Legend and would say go for the Legend in a heartbeat. We jut booked our third trip on the Legend so obviously we like her. The Destiny was nice, though I remember it being a little dark. I love the decor on the Legend and the layout makes it really easy to find your way around. I also love the size, not too big, not too small. We were on the Victory, which was a Destiny class, and the Pride, which was a Spirit class, so I've had lots of opportunity to make comparisons. For me it would be the Spirit class hands down. The Legend run is really nice too - two sea days to unwind, a couple of cool ports to visit and then two sea days to relax on the way back to real life. A great ship and a great run combined. The only negative I had any time I was on the Legend was the cruise director, Brett Alans - sorry, really annoying. But I'm not about to let something like that ruin my cruise :) Hope you have a great trip whichever you choose!

I would vote for the LEGEND - I have glanced a few times at the Destiny, but living in Florida, it is TOO easy (and MUCH LESS $) to just drive to the port... We LOVE sea days - 4 ports in 7 days is TOO RUSHED, even though that is what the Miracle does...:D

We are booked next November on the Legend (Thanksgiving) - though that is not the southern sailing (we took the southern last Thanksgiving!)

Don't count on a SKIPPERS CLUB in Ft Lauderdale... they may SAY they have it there.. uh huh... right...:rolleyes:

Tom

DH and I just got back from a cruise on the Destiny. It was the first cruise after being in drydock. We have a cruise booked on the Legend in January and don't have any experience on it yet but from our experience on the Destiny I wouldn't recommend it. We liked the ports and San Juan but the boat needs some improvements along with the food and service. It is port intensive and only has two days at sea. We're looking forward to sailing on the Legend and hope we have a better experience on it. We were on the Victory last December and enjoyed it.

There are some reviews of the Destiny on this thread located at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44544

There are at least 3 on there on the last couple of pages from the October 2 sailing.

We are booked next November on the Legend (Thanksgiving) - though that is not the southern sailing (we took the southern last Thanksgiving!)

Thanksgiving next year IS the southern itinerary. St. Thomas, Barbados, and Martinique. That's the sialing I'm considering. Though I'm still really torn between Legend and Destiny at that same time.

Thanksgiving next year IS the southern itinerary. St. Thomas, Barbados, and Martinique. That's the sialing I'm considering. Though I'm still really torn between Legend and Destiny at that same time.

The Legend (on Nov. 16, 2006) departs on a Thursday (prior to Thanksgiving week) and returns on Friday FOLLOWING Thanksgiving day... it is a Western route (we are really looking forward to Panama and Costa Rica) :

http://carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=FLL&itinCode=WCB&shipCode=LE&durDays=8&subRegionCode=CW

Are you looking at the Nov 24, 2006 southern sailing, leaving the day after Thanksgiving?

http://carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=FLL&itinCode=SC5&shipCode=LE&durDays=8&subRegionCode=CS

When we took the Legend (southern) last year we were rained out in Barbados and Martinique most of the day...:( but we still had a great time, and met lots of CC'ers there!

Tom

The only negative I had any time I was on the Legend was the cruise director, Brett Alans - sorry, really annoying. But I'm not about to let something like that ruin my cruise :) Hope you have a great trip whichever you choose!

I heard they had him refurbished during drydock....:) :) :)

Yeah, I was looking at the Friday sailing, day after Thanksgiving.

I'm tending to lean toward the Destiny sailin that Sunday though. Two days in San Juan, then the 7 day on Destiny. I have a pile of frequent flyer miles and hotel points to use, so no extra cost in getting to San Juan.

I just don't know. Oh what a dilemma! :)

1st of all let me state that I met my wife on the Carnival Destiny so I love the ship no matter were it is. So I am very bias about this ship, I was on her in 1999 she sailed from Miami then and we sailed on her last year out of San Juan. I absolutely hated going out of San Juan. We had to drive through a hurricane from Tampa to Miami. See the Tampa airport closed just as we landed so we had to get to Miami some how so we could have a chance of get out of Miami the next day(day of sail) we new that no other airports would be open. By the time we got to San Juan port there were no porters left and we had to carry our own bags to check in. That was bad we had a lot of bags. Getting off the ship was even worse, it seemed like it took for ever. I personally will not go out of San Juan again. Every thing else was great. We loved being on the ship we meet on.

Paul

My first cruise was on the Destiny !!!!!! You know what they say about your first LOVE !!!:D When I went it had St. Lucia and Curacao (sp??), which were nice islands, but ARUBA has it going on !!! My co-worker went too and it was her first time going to Aruba and she's still trying to get back there. She had been on several cruises before then and was the tip of iceberg for me finally getting started on this new HOBBY !!! She hasn't been on any since then but I'm working on her for next year's cruise but I've been on two since that one and booking the third this weekend, you see I've got my calendar set up already and I'm not booked, is that overkill??:cool: Back to the point, ARUBA speaks for itself. Yeah, the airfare is a doozey but if you wanna go for it. I think its the only ship under Carnival that goes to ARUBA, isn't it? I imagine they'll be changing that soon, huh?

...enjoyed both. Destiny has more age, don't know condition as it was '99 when we sailed. I'd go on either in a heartbeat, do what we do, flip a coin. Southern Carib ports will be more intense as someone has already pointed out. You won't go wrong either way. I think you mentioned you would be flying on miles, if those are with one of the airlines in bankruptcy it might be a good idea to use them up so I'd do the Destiny Southern just to use 'em.

btw...is Destiny a he? I thought they were all referred to as shes.

Well, I've been discussing it with Mrs. Alum and I think we've decided to try Destiny. I appreciate all of your input!

We decided based on the fact that we like the itinerary better and we'd liek to try a different class of ship from our first cruise. Also, just for us, the 4 sea days seemed a bit excessive. I enjoyed the sea days on our first cruise, but I was getting the slightest twinges of boredom, and I think with 4 days I'd go crazy.

Well, I've been discussing it with Mrs. Alum and I think we've decided to try Destiny. I appreciate all of your input!

We decided based on the fact that we like the itinerary better and we'd liek to try a different class of ship from our first cruise. Also, just for us, the 4 sea days seemed a bit excessive. I enjoyed the sea days on our first cruise, but I was getting the slightest twinges of boredom, and I think with 4 days I'd go crazy.

We will, of course, expect a full report back comparing the Destiny with the Spirit class ships!!!

Have a great time!

Tom

Archived