Eurodam - 5th Deck - Room V5118

SLOTheta

Hello,

We are going on our first cruise, we are super excited and am loving CC! We picked V5118 since I'm prone to motion sickness and was told to pick a room right in the middle of the ship.

I tried researching what type of view or specific info about this room. I've only been able to find stock photos and general descriptions. I recall a thread where I could find specifics, but the search function isn't the best on the app.

My husband is a big view/hang out in the veranda type of guy. Hopefully we picked a good one without obstruction.

If anyone has any insight or can direct me to a thread or a site, that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello,

We are going on our first cruise, we are super excited and am loving CC! We picked V5118 since I'm prone to motion sickness and was told to pick a room right in the middle of the ship.

I tried researching what type of view or specific info about this room. I've only been able to find stock photos and general descriptions. I recall a thread where I could find specifics, but the search function isn't the best on the app.

My husband is a big view/hang out in the veranda type of guy. Hopefully we picked a good one without obstruction.

If anyone has any insight or can direct me to a thread or a site, that would be great!

Try http://www.halfacts.com they show SR5090 with pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had room 5111 which is pretty much across the Hal from that room. I looked down at a lifeboat the whole time. As an added treat it had a huge dead dragon fly on it for the whole 2 weeks. I think I have a pic of the room. Will post it shortly.

Oh no! Looking down at a lifeboat doesn't seem like a good view. We are staying with a wedding group on the 5th deck. Would all the rooms on the 5th look down on lifeboats? Is there anywhere to avoid it?

We picked the middle to help with seasickness, but I've heard that the ship is pretty stable on all parts and it doesn't really matter.

I would move to a different part of the ship if I can avoid the lifeboats!

Try http://www.halfacts.com they show SR5090 with pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I checked out 5127 and it mentions lifeboats were semi-visible.

Does anyone know if this is the case for all verandahs on Deck 5? I would like to move to a room where we would have an unobstructed view.

Oh no! Looking down at a lifeboat doesn't seem like a good view. We are staying with a wedding group on the 5th deck. Would all the rooms on the 5th look down on lifeboats? Is there anywhere to avoid it?

We picked the middle to help with seasickness, but I've heard that the ship is pretty stable on all parts and it doesn't really matter.

I would move to a different part of the ship if I can avoid the lifeboats!

I'm not sure if all the rooms are hanging over the lifeboats on 5. It doesn't look that way on the deck plan but I'm just guessing. That was the first balcony I've ever had on deck 5 and it was assigned to me so I had zero right to complain. I hope poster jtl513 comes by this thread. He's the balcony guru.

I'm not sure if all the rooms are hanging over the lifeboats on 5. It doesn't look that way on the deck plan but I'm just guessing. That was the first balcony I've ever had on deck 5 and it was assigned to me so I had zero right to complain. I hope poster jtl513 comes by this thread. He's the balcony guru.

We can pick our own rooms, but they are going fast. Did you feel you needed to to be in the middle to avoid sea sickness? I've heard it really doesn't matter which room, but I'm a tad nervous

We can pick our own rooms, but they are going fast. Did you feel you needed to to be in the middle to avoid sea sickness? I've heard it really doesn't matter which room, but I'm a tad nervous

I think it really is better in the middle but I'm not terribly picky. I've been all over the ship and I think the worst was right at the front. I've also been up on 10 and there was a fair bit of movement and vibration. I don't suffer sea sickness until I get home (mal de debarkment) so I'm not the best person to advise you. That's not to say I enjoy rough seas because I don't.

Everything in the center section (from V5051 to V5140) overlooks lifeboats. I suggest VB 5142 to 5158 where the motion will not be bad, you will not look down on lifeboats, you will have a full 6 ft deep balcony (compared to 4.5 ft in the center section V's), and it will be cheaper! Good luck! :) Edited by jtl513

Everything in the center section (from 5051 to 5140) overlooks lifeboats. I suggest VB 5137 to 5158 where the motion will not be bad, you will not look down on lifeboats, you will have a full 6 ft deep balcony (compared to 4.5 ft in the center section Vs), and it will be cheaper! Good luck! :)

Thx :). That's good info for me too. I'm copying this to my iPad.

Everything in the center section (from V5051 to V5140) overlooks lifeboats. I suggest VB 5142 to 5158 where the motion will not be bad, you will not look down on lifeboats, you will have a full 6 ft deep balcony (compared to 4.5 ft in the center section V's), and it will be cheaper! Good luck! :)

Great advice! It appears 5152, 5141 and 5153 are available in the aft section. All are cheaper than what we have! I have an email into our Travel Agent.

Everything in the center section (from V5051 to V5140) overlooks lifeboats. I suggest VB 5142 to 5158 where the motion will not be bad, you will not look down on lifeboats, you will have a full 6 ft deep balcony (compared to 4.5 ft in the center section V's), and it will be cheaper! Good luck! :)

Hi JTL -

I switched to VB5152 today. But, our travel agent gave us a little different advice - she said the VB verandahs are the ones that are 4.5 ft and it was the middle Vs that had the full 6 ft balcony. She also said that the life boats can't really be seen. But, from the photos I've seen, they look pretty obvious to me!

The deal ends today, so if we had to switch again, I just wanted to make sure. Our room did go down slightly - $1979/pp to $1919 when we switch from V to VB.

Hi JTL -

I switched to VB5152 today. But, our travel agent gave us a little different advice - she said the VB verandahs are the ones that are 4.5 ft and it was the middle Vs that had the full 6 ft balcony.

She is dead wrong. Sounds to me like she is just judging from the deck plan, which depicts the size falsely. The 4.5 footers are the V from 5051 to 5138 and the VQ from 10007 to 10046. On the Eurodam the VT10001 to 10010 are half-round Juliette balconies with about a 3 ft radius. All VB are at least 6 foot deep and many are deeper, such as on deck 4 and on the stern.

Take pictures of your balcony to show her when you get back! :)

She also said that the life boats can't really be seen. But, from the photos I've seen, they look pretty obvious to me!

Well, if you are sitting down with your chair back by the wall, and are short, they are not obtrusive. If you are standing at the rail then they are very obvious. Edited by jtl513

She is dead wrong. Sounds to me like she is just judging from the deck plan, which depicts the size falsely. The 4.5 footers are the V from 5051 to 5138 and the VQ from 10007 to 10046. On the Eurodam the VT10001 to 10010 are half-round Juliette balconies with about a 3 ft radius. Take pictures of your balcony to show her when you get back! :)

Well, if you are sitting down with your chair back by the wall, and are short, they are not obtrusive. If you are standing at the rail then they are very obvious.

Thank you for the info! Since we booked 5152, it looks like we are in the 6 ft balcony section.

My husband is 6'7" and I'm 5'7", we would probably be able to see the boats.

Our travel agent is a family friend of the bride, she's booking our trips as a favor and isn't a full time agent. My guess is that she isn't too familiar with cruising, I appreciate the advice!

We had originally booked the middle to try to avoid motion sickness. Do you think there will be much in the back? We don't plan on being in the room much, but I worry a bit.

Thanks again!

Here is the picture87f35cf948f89fa35b0301182f881a6e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I copied your post and sent your photo to our Travel Agent. She's doing the booking as a favor, so this isn't really her real job. We have about 50 people coming to this wedding, many are staying in the V section. I let her know it might be a good thing to inform the guests about the life boats and that the balconies are 4.5 feet deep, as opposed to 6 ft deep in other parts of of the ship.

You won't get much more motion in 5152 than in 5118. Of course if the seas should get really bad you'll feel it no matter where you are. If that happens, go down to the atrium on deck 1 or 2 until it settles down ... or you get more used to it. If the Capt announces that seas will be rough, go to the front desk or Infirmary and ask for some Sea-Calm (Meclizine) or buy some before you go. It's sold under many different brand names. :)

Here is a view from the center glass elevators when stopped at deck 5:

2j1235u.jpg

Edited by jtl513

We have spent many cruises aboard Eurodam and JTL's infomation is accurate, as always.

Disregard the information that you received from your travel agent -- I doubt she is familiar with these cabins.

Thanks Adrift and JTL! We confirmed the change and I also sent all the info everyone has provided to our TA. I'm sure other people will want to know about the life boats and short balconies.

Since you've spent many a cruise on the Eurodam, any advice would be great. We have a group of 50 people, ages: mid 30s to late 40s.

We are very excited for our first cruise!

Edited by SLOTheta

If you are concerned about getting sea sick--food and alcohol in moderation. Sometimes fresh air helps. Also, I would purchase sea bands to bring with you. They do sell them in the shops on board but if you hit bad weather or the shops are closed, you will be out of luck.

If you or anyone feels queasy, let them know in the Dining Room, Lido or Room Service and they will bring you light food, i.e., chicken broth, crackers, green apples, etc.

When are you cruising?

If you are concerned about getting sea sick--food and alcohol in moderation. Sometimes fresh air helps. Also, I would purchase sea bands to bring with you. They do sell them in the shops on board but if you hit bad weather or the shops are closed, you will be out of luck.

If you or anyone feels queasy, let them know in the Dining Room, Lido or Room Service and they will bring you light food, i.e., chicken broth, crackers, green apples, etc.

When are you cruising?

Well...we aren't one to eat or drink in moderation! [emoji16] We love food. But, if I'm not feeling well, I'm sure I won't be eating or drinking too much. I'll be sure to pick up seabands and I read on this board that behind the ear patches also are good to start a few days before hand.

We are cruising July 5th. Can't wait!

You won't get much more motion in 5152 than in 5118. Of course if the seas should get really bad you'll feel it no matter where you are. If that happens, go down to the atrium on deck 1 or 2 until it settles down ... or you get more used to it. If the Capt announces that seas will be rough, go to the front desk or Infirmary and ask for some Sea-Calm (Meclizine) or buy some before you go. It's sold under many different brand names. :)

Here is a view from the center glass elevators when stopped at deck 5:

2j1235u.jpg

I sent your photo to the bride and groom. I had hoped to get the word out to our group about the life boats and shorter deck so people could switch, but I snapped up the last Verandah room on deck 5. If there are future upgrade sales, maybe there will be some traction on our deck so people can move.

I sent your photo to the bride and groom. I had hoped to get the word out to our group about the life boats and shorter deck so people could switch, but I snapped up the last Verandah room on deck 5.
My DB and DSiL had 5122 on the Nieuw A for their first cruise, and enjoyed it. When they had it, before a re-categorization 2 years ago, it was rated as a VE, and I think fairly priced. I feel with the misleading deck plan and highest Verandah rating (V) that people are being lured into cabins which I would place near the bottom of my choices. Maybe if you don't let the others see your larger balcony and unobstructed view they won't know any better! :D

DW and I like to be high up, but for people who are prone to seasickness I think the best verandah cabins are 4133 to 4158. These are 7.5 feet deep!

Edited by jtl513

Another vote for SeaBands! And have some Meclizine (sold in the US as Bonine) for back-up. The patches require a prescription for scopolamine. Both drugs suggest not to mix them with alcohol. You can find SeaBands in most large drug stores ((Walgreens, CVS, WalMart) in the same section as the seas-sickness drugs, about $10 -$12)

The SeaBands are worn around the wrist and have a half-round "button" that is worn over an acupressure point three fingers-width up from the wrist crease - follow the instructions that come with them to make sure you wear them correctly. As an EMT we are approved to use this acupressure point to alleviate patients' nausea.

m--

My DB and DSiL had 5122 on the Nieuw A for their first cruise, and enjoyed it. When they had it, before a re-categorization 2 years ago, it was rated as a VE, and I think fairly priced. I feel with the misleading deck plan and highest Verandah rating (V) that people are being lured into cabins which I would place near the bottom of my choices. Maybe if you don't let the others see your larger balcony and unobstructed view they won't know any better! :D

DW and I like to be high up, but for people who are prone to seasickness I think the best verandah cabins are 4133 to 4158. These are 7.5 feet deep!

This thread has been very informative. Thx for your contribution.