Never been to Tortola. What to do?

ninel246

Never been to this island. Any recommendations? Should we purchase a shore excursion? Can we just get a taxi and go?

Basically three choices when calling at Tortola:

1. Excursion to the Baths on Virgin Gorda

2. Excursion to Jost van Dyke

3. Stay on Tortola and go to the beach at Cane Garden Bay

In regard to children and car seats. Did not see any car seats but we didn't have any children on our tour. My guess is they don't have them. Even if you brought your own there is no way to secure them. I would not feel comfortable in an open safari type taxi with children. Very easy for the child to fall out. You could get a car/van taxi but still no car seat. Our grandchildren are 4 and 6 now and we've been cruising with them since they were 8 months old. We've gone without car seats, in a van, when going to the beach, etc. Not the best option but usually the only option. I would not do an island tour with young children. Beach would be perfect. Highlight of grandkids cruise. Don't forget the sand toys for the beach. By the way, the roads are scary.

Edited by tartan cruiser

Basically three choices when calling at Tortola:

1. Excursion to the Baths on Virgin Gorda

2. Excursion to Jost van Dyke

3. Stay on Tortola and go to the beach at Cane Garden Bay

Not true. As one person mentioned above, and I was just coming on here to note as well, you can do something like the Norman Island Snorkel through NCL. (We don't usually do ship tours, but given the short time in port, we did one here.)

We were in Tortola on the Gem a few weeks ago. We thought the Norman Island Snorkel excursion was terrific. The tour operator was Sail Caribbean Divers, and I thought they did an excellent job (including having one of the guides stay in the water, others on board the boat watching out).

They first took us to the Indians, which is a well-known snorkel spot (off the boat snorkeling). Plenty of fish and interesting coral. We really enjoyed it. We ended with a little time at Norman Island, where we had the option of being on the beach or doing some more snorkeling. (Not the best snorkeling off the beach there, but it was nice to be in the water.)

Big%20silver%20fish%202%201024x807_zpshyhljlpj.jpg

Fish%20Fight%202%201024x592_zpsggzzkpak.jpg

(taken at the Indians, photos by turtles06)

One of the excursions on the NCL site that interests me is the zip line tour. It seems awful expensive... But since this is my first cruise, I figure I might as well go all out and do all the touristy, bucket list-y stuff.

I guess I'm just weird, sitting on a beach doesn't really interest me. I'll be doing enough sitting and looking at the ocean while I'm on the ship.

We just got off the Escape last week and The Baths at Virgin Gorda was our favorite excursion of the entire cruise! It's beautiful and so much fun, not to mention so easy to do on your own.

I'm going to book Dolphin Discovery, but I want to do the Royal Swim, and NCL doesn't offer that. So I will book on my own. My daughter really wants to do a dolphin swim and of the three stops on our itinerary (St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau) this seems to be the best place to do it.

Does anyone know if you go to the Baths on your own if you will be on the same ferries as people doing the NCL excursion will be on? Also, if you do the excursion with NCL do you 100% have to go back on the specifically timed ferry for your group or can you go on a later one?

Thanks!

No, we did it on our own and we were on a different ferry. We also got there before the big crowds and had the Baths mostly to our selves as we walked through. We got to enjoy the beach at Devil's Bay for a couple of hours too before we headed back. Definitely do it on your own. We spoke to some people who did the NCL excursion and they said they felt rushed and crowded. Just make sure to catch the 745am ferry and the 1245pm ferry back. We were done with the Baths and on the beach before 10am I think, and there were 11 of us.

We were there in mid February on the Escape. We took a taxi to Brewers Bay. The beach was beautiful and not crowded. We rented beach chairs for $5/each. There is one bar/snack bar. We were there with our sons ages 9 and 12. Everyone had a great time!

No, we did it on our own and we were on a different ferry. We also got there before the big crowds and had the Baths mostly to our selves as we walked through. We got to enjoy the beach at Devil's Bay for a couple of hours too before we headed back. Definitely do it on your own. We spoke to some people who did the NCL excursion and they said they felt rushed and crowded. Just make sure to catch the 745am ferry and the 1245pm ferry back. We were done with the Baths and on the beach before 10am I think, and there were 11 of us.

I just booked the 7:15 cruise excursion (earliest time to beat crowds) there but you have me reconsidering. Is Devil's Bay beach right there near the Baths and you just hang out until ready to leave?

I just booked the 7:15 cruise excursion (earliest time to beat crowds) there but you have me reconsidering. Is Devil's Bay beach right there near the Baths and you just hang out until ready to leave?

Once you go through the Baths, you come out onto Devil's Bay on the other side. After the beach you walk back up a different trail to get back to where the taxi/bus is to pick you up. You could go back through the Baths and take the same trail up that you take on the way down, but it would take longer. It was very easy to do on our own and cost about half of what NCL charges. Bring snorkel gear or at least a pair of goggles for the beach, it was like swimming in an aquarium! If you have a waterproof camera bring that too. You will love it there, this was our favorite part of the trip.