GBP .... John Bull - Your opinion needed

First time I went to the USA 1967 rate was 2,80 to the pound , then Harold Wilson devalued the pound went to 2,40 , and dropping eversince, although I can remember went stateside once when the rate was 1.06 to the pound almost par.

"It does not mean that the pound here in Britain, in your pocket or purse or in your bank, has been devalued."

The bank lending rate has been raised to 8% and there will be cuts of £100m in defence spending

Prime Minister Harold Wilson

Edited by Bob++

I was living overseas in the 80s when the US dollar hit 3.4 German Marks to the dollar. Also, 3.1 Swiss Francs to one dollar. Now the Swiss Franc is a bit higher than the USD.

The USA had raging inflation and our FED raised interest rates to very high levels to stop going into hyperinflation. It worked. Now, I worry with all the FED printing dollars in the past 7 years if we will eventually face the music and more inflation. If I knew, I could make a fortune.

We are staying a couple of nights after our cruise at the Doubletree Westminster, and are wondering if it would be OK to arrange our transport to Heathrow the morning we have to leave London, or if it would be better to pre arrange it before we even leave home to begin our cruise.
There's no need to pre-arrange it early. It's not uncommon for me to book a car to/from the airport the day before, and you won't have trouble finding a way of getting to the airport even if you make no pre-arrangements at all.

There's no need to pre-arrange it early. It's not uncommon for me to book a car to/from the airport the day before, and you won't have trouble finding a way of getting to the airport even if you make no pre-arrangements at all.

Thank you. That was what I was hoping. One less thing to arrange in advance!!!

Thank you. That was what I was hoping. One less thing to arrange in advance!!!

............ but do make it a booked transfer, ideally the previous evening - perhaps thro your hotel.

If you simply step into the street & hail a black cab you'll be paying at a high metered rate. That's OK for a hop of a mile or three, but not for the 15 miles to Heathrow.

JB :)

First time I went to the USA 1967 rate was 2,80 to the pound , then Harold Wilson devalued the pound went to 2,40 , and dropping eversince, although I can remember went stateside once when the rate was 1.06 to the pound almost par.

oooo - stateside! Is that opposed to Scotside, jockside or clydeside? :)