GBP .... John Bull - Your opinion needed

I am thinking of going ahead and buying at least part of the GBPs that I plan to take with me on my upcoming B.Isles cruise now that the exchange rate is getting better, thanks, at least in part, to the possibility of England dropping out of the EU. At least that's what has been reported on the news.

So John ... do you have any thoughts as to whether the exchange rate will get much better in the next month or so?

Thanks

Oh! Blimey, he's good, but he's not a financial expert, or a clairvoyant.

However the exchange rate USD/GPB is the best rate for the US travellers than it's been for years.

BTW it's the UK possibly leaving the EU...not just England. If and when the UK leaves then there is the next discussion.....break up of UK?, but that's another subject.:)

Edited by turnip eater

It depends on how much you plan to buy. One or two points on $1,000 doesn't make a huge difference. You also have to carry the cash and by buying in advance, you lose whatever minute interest it would have earned.

You might also be concerned about what may happen to the dollar after the forthcoming election in the US.

My opinion, for what little it's worth, is that GB will stay in the EU. There are a lot of people who don't like risks and hate change of any kind. The Exit crowd are vociferous and get the publicity, but we will see on June 23rd.

The exchange rate is indeed getting better - for you :)

Not such good news for me. :(

My thoughts are that the pound will drop between now & the referendum, and pick up closer to the day / after the result - quickly if it's "in", more slowly if it's "out".

But my opinion would only be worthwhile if it were in a book that I'd written called "How I made my millions" :D

Can't get started on that book yet, still figuring how to make my first million. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, my root-vegetable-eating compatriot's opinion is worth at least as much as mine. ;)

JB :)

Thanks, guys!!! And I apologize for misstating the UK/EU situation.

BTW, Bob .... I am studiously avoiding even thinking about what's going to happen after the election. Sad to say, but the choices are less than great.

BTW it's the UK possibly leaving the EU...not just England. If and when the UK leaves then there is the next discussion.....break up of UK?, but that's another subject.:)

You might be surprised at the number of people in the USA who equate England with the United Kingdom .:-) or :-( <shrug>

I have a question though .... Does the UK have a single currency? Is it the GBP (Great Britain Pound?) Or does each country issue their own money. (Sort of like how there no UK football team, but rather an English, Welsh, ... etc.)

Aloha,

John

There's only one currency, the pound sterling (international ticker code GBP). However, there are 8 banks entitled to print banknotes for it - the Bank of England, 3 Scottish banks, 4 Irish banks (one owned by a Danish company!). Try and avoid getting the Scottish or Irish notes in change, because many people outside Scotland or Ireland won't accept them as they have no idea whether or not they're forgeries.

Coinage has varying designs, but is the same shape in each country and is fully interchangeable.

I have a question though .... Does the UK have a single currency? Is it the GBP (Great Britain Pound?) Or does each country issue their own money. (Sort of like how there no UK football team, but rather an English, Welsh, ... etc.)

Aloha,

John

Just be aware though that while England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all use the Pound Sterling; Eire or The Irish Republic, as distinct from Northern Ireland, does not . They have not been part of the UK since 1922, when they broke away from the Crown, and became a republic. Unlike us, they joined the Eurozone, so you use Euros there, the same as in France, Netherlands, Belgium etc.

Edited by Bob++

dsrdsrdsr has put you right about the home countries' notes & coins.

All inter-changeable.

Though sometimes with a little difficulty ;)

But there are a couple of odd-balls - Gibraltar & the Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey, etc)

Their currency is sterling too. They produce their own sterling notes & coins - but whereas they accept UK-produced sterling, their own can only be used locally. Except their coins, which can be used in the UK's machines & dimly-lit pubs ;)

BTW, Steve, coach drivers have to get involved in politics.

Black cab drivers and hairdressers can't resolve all the world's problems without a little help :D

Sometimes an electorate get what they deserve...:)

Come on.. Nobody deserves what we are getting.. LOL

I don't really care who wins the US election (and I still don't know why we get bombarded with it on our news as we can't vote!), but please don't elect Donald Trump, otherwise the old joke of trying to start WW3 to make up for being late to the last two World Wars might come true!!

Simon

But there are a couple of odd-balls - Gibraltar & the Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey, etc)

Their currency is sterling too. They produce their own sterling notes & coins - but whereas they accept UK-produced sterling, their own can only be used locally. Except their coins, which can be used in the UK's machines & dimly-lit pubs ;)

The coins, in practice if not in theory, are fully interchangeable - there are at least a couple of dozen different UK designs of pound coins, and no-one takes the trouble to read the small print round the edges to check they're not receiving numbers 25 or 26 from Jersey or Gib.

dsrdsrdsr has put you right about the home countries' notes & coins.

All inter-changeable.

Though sometimes with a little difficulty ;)

BTW, Steve, coach drivers have to get involved in politics.

Black cab drivers and hairdressers can't resolve all the world's problems without a little help :D

At Guernsey we discovered that they have one-pound bills. I have one as a souvenir.

We are staying a couple of nights after our cruise at the Doubletree Westminster, and are wondering if it would be OK to arrange our transport to Heathrow the morning we have to leave London, or if it would be better to pre arrange it before we even leave home to begin our cruise.

We were also thinking the concierge at the hotel might be able to do this for us once we get there.

What do any of you very knowledgeable British gentlemen think would be best?

Whoops! I thought I was starting a new thread. Uh oh!! I goofed, but I will leave it here and hope it gets noticed.

Edited by flamomo

Unless you are getting a lot of money I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

I have learned that no one can predict this with any accuracy.

I do hope that one day it will be one for one though.

But we are in London right now and it is nicer than when it was close to 2 for 1.

Keith

Unless you are getting a lot of money I wouldn't lose sleep over this.

I have learned that no one can predict this with any accuracy.

I do hope that one day it will be one for one though.

But we are in London right now and it is nicer than when it was close to 2 for 1.

Keith

I assume that by 'one for one' you mean sterling/dollar parity. For us Brits this would put the US and those Caribbean countries whose currencies are linked to the $, out or reach as a holiday destination for all but the mega-rich. The same would apply to those cruise lines that use the $ as their on-board currency [which is the majority].

I, for one, am not booking any holidays involving the $ until after the EC vote in June, when things may be a little clearer.

Thank goodness we have $750 OBC for our forthcoming cruise on Princess, otherwise we would be having an enforced fortnight of sobriety!

What goes round comes round, or plus ça change as they say over the channel.

For the last couple of years Brits have been flocking to Dollar Land because it was cheap. On the other hand Merkins were buying padlocks for their wallets and escaping to the safety of a Dollar based Cruise Ship as fast as they could. (On a megabus naturally). Now the boot is on the other foot (how many old saws can I get in one post?) and Brits are heading for Euroland while London hoteliers put their names down for a new Rolls Royce.

Back in the day, when we had pounds, shillings and pence, there was a coin which was one eighth of a pound. This was colloquially known as 'arf a dollar' because dollars were four to the pound at the time.

I assume that by 'one for one' you mean sterling/dollar parity. For us Brits this would put the US and those Caribbean countries whose currencies are linked to the $, out or reach as a holiday destination for all but the mega-rich. The same would apply to those cruise lines that use the $ as their on-board currency [which is the majority].

I, for one, am not booking any holidays involving the $ until after the EC vote in June, when things may be a little clearer.

Thank goodness we have $750 OBC for our forthcoming cruise on Princess, otherwise we would be having an enforced fortnight of sobriety!

We have an up-coming four-week road trip in the US in June.

First time we went, we got two dollars to the pound.

Last time it was around $1.55

Currently it's around $1.40.

By the time we go it'll be ....$???? .

Fortunately we are amongst the mega-rich folk that you mention. :D

(I wish :rolleyes:)

We have an up-coming four-week road trip in the US in June.

First time we went, we got two dollars to the pound.

Last time it was around $1.55

Currently it's around $1.40.

By the time we go it'll be ....$???? .

Fortunately we are amongst the mega-rich folk that you mention. :D

(I wish :rolleyes:)

First time I went to the USA 1967 rate was 2,80 to the pound , then Harold Wilson devalued the pound went to 2,40 , and dropping eversince, although I can remember went stateside once when the rate was 1.06 to the pound almost par.