The Coin?

turtleash

So I have recently found something new out on cruise ships well at least about Carnival Ships and curious is this all ships all cruise lines. So aboard somewhere, there is a cruise coin with ship name and date. I like the idea of it being a secret so you can find it while aboard and have some fun with it. Anyone know if this is a Carnival thing or all lines? If it's all lines I will be on the Summit at end of March and want to search for it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link and explanation.

Here is the coin on the Carnival Magic from John Heald's Blog:

It is often to be found on the funnel. Basically, it is a commemorative coin sealed in a box. Here is how John described it:

The ship was blessed for safe travels for all crew and guests that will sail with her; a champagne bottle was broken and the ship was gifted with a very special coin. According to the shipyard staff there is a centuries old tradition that calls for every ship to carry a lucky coin. The coin is welded to the hull of the ship and has to happen before the ship can touch water. The flooding of the dock is also a very special occasion as it’s the first time the ship will be in her “natural habitat” as one staff member put it so nicely.

Now, I know I didn’t describe it very poetically, but I will tell you that I saw many proud smiling faces – and even a tear or two (happy tears, of course) from both the Italian and American crew and staff during today’s events. It was an honor to witness the festivities first hand and I will definitely be looking for all the coins on the other ships (the coin is on deck 11 on the Carnival Magic, but I’m not sure where it is on the other ships. Has anyone seen any of the coins on the other ships? If so let me know what deck it’s on).

carnival-magic-coin.jpg.1b795b1fddd5a9b802cdb79155e33c09.jpg