Cancelled ES what happens to the future non refundable cruise credit

heatherbelle

I have cancelled an ES rate on my Vista sailing.

As yet I haven't received any communication regarding the left over amount from my original deposit.

Do I receive any written communication, or does the credit just sit somewhere on my account and can I view it online? I cannot find anything.

Surely I should have some sort of reference number to quote, so that I can apply the credit to any future cruise I book?

Sorry I have tried searching for the answer but all I can find is that it will be given as a future non-refundable credit.

I got a letter from Carnival detaining that I have two years to use the funds and must sail within three years. It did take about 10 days to get the letter. I then used the moneys to pay towards a cruise I had already booked. There were instructions how to apply the funds. This was in January of this year.

I received an email from Carnival the next day after I cancelled our ES cruise. It explained everything. I was able to apply my credit to a cruise I already had booked.

Call Carnival and tell them you want them to email you a confirmation of the cancellation.

We got nothing when we cancelled. I was told to keep the confirmation number and that is what I would use to apply the credit to a new booking. Unlike the other poster I was told I had to complete the new sailing before the 24 months was up. I don't know which is correct.

We got nothing when we cancelled. I was told to keep the confirmation number and that is what I would use to apply the credit to a new booking. Unlike the other poster I was told I had to complete the new sailing before the 24 months was up. I don't know which is correct.

I just got into with carnival on this same thing. They told me 24 months then when I booked our upcoming cruise the said I had to sail in that 24 month window. After a few calls the decided to allow me to use it 24 months from the original sail date.

It was hands down the worst customer experience I have had with carnival to date. I felt like they were trying to shake me down for a $600 credit.

In the end it all worked out but Im still bitter over the few days worth of phone calls.

Ohh yea keep your original booking number. This all started with them telling me if I don't have the booking number for the credit they can't search it. I had to dig through old email to find it.

I never got a letter or email with any info about the credit.

Edited by rawley2

I would suggest, after years of experience, that anything dealing with "money" or "financial" credit should, ultimately lie in the hands of the consumer. It makes sense to me that I would keep every document pertaining to the issue in a file, whether paper in my filing cabinet or scanned and filed (with a back-up) on my computer. Why would I assume that a company, any company, would be there to watch my back....that should be something I should be doing.

Also, print the faqs portion from the Carnival website. Be sure and date all you pdfs or scans before you file them. Sure it all takes a bit of effort but, like keeping tabs on a credit account or a banking account, it really is MY responsibility since no one else in the corporate world really gives a darn.

Yet another reason to use a trusted PVP (or TA).

My PVP has been with Carnival for 10 years and I trust her as much as I can trust anyone. Almost all of my interaction is by email or followed up by email. It is just the way I was taught to do business. Paper or electronic evidence of everything.

There were some subtle changes made in December of 2015 to the payment due dates and the cancellation penalties. As I read the FAQ today sailing does need to occur within 24 months of cancellation. The old rule was book within 24 and sail within 36 months. My apologies for not checking the current policy. I went by what had been the rule and was told to me in January. Perhaps my PVP and I were both oblivious to the change as we knew where and when the monies were being transferred.

My cruise in 2014 had to be in September (vs our normal Dec-jan dates) because the cruise I cancelled in 2012. It had to be cruised within 24 months of the cancellation date. I tried everything I could to get it pushed back. I mean, my original cruise date was in December. So when I cancelled it, I think I should've been able to use the credit within 24 months of then. My PVP tried to escalate my issue also but it is in their paperwork in black and white. MUST be used within 24 months of the date of cancellation.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. Carnival have moved the whole of my deposit included the $50pp cancellation fee to my new cruise Med cruise booked with a UK TA, which they have given as an OBC.

This would have been money that I would have lost, due to the fact that I wouldn't be cruising with CCL until a Med cruise was back again, which is not likely to happen until 2018 at the earliest.

Excellent service from CCL.