2 New DCL Ships Announced!

The Dream is already wired for 220v in the state rooms. That is why the hair drier plug looks so weird.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You'll know for which market the ship is intended by the style of receptacles that are specified for the staterooms.

Edited by Host Mick

You'll know for which market the ship is intended by the style of receptacles that are specified for the staterooms.

DCL cleverly opted for modular fittings that can quickly and easily be changed by removing the socket and swapping it for whatever type of socket insert you wish.

The 110v accept both standard US plugs and 2 pin Euro type plugs:

P1320377.JPG

And the 220v "Shuko" Euro style sockets:

6384831669_617c74ed7e_b.jpg

I don't know if the 220v sockets are 50 or 60 Hz.

ex techie

The 10 Hz difference will not matter for things you would be using in a state room. Most electronics will take 110-220v and 50-60hz and convert to DC.

You pretty much need an appliance with an AC electric motor to notice the RPM difference caused by the different Hz.

The 10 Hz difference will not matter for things you would be using in a state room. Most electronics will take 110-220v and 50-60hz and convert to DC.

You pretty much need an appliance with an AC electric motor to notice the RPM difference caused by the different Hz.

Absolutely true. The only motor driven device I could think of is a hairdryer, if someone brought their own 220v hairdryer.

ex techie

The OP simply posted that Disney has ordered two more ships. How did that simple statement turn into arguments about Disney earnings and port assignments and Airbus airplanes? It seems that some people who hang out on this board are always looking for something to argue about. Lighten up folks! Smell the roses...

Sorry if we've gone even further off topic in your opinion with Host Mick introducing electrical systems into the mix!

ex techie

Okay, techie, I saw your call.

The 220v outlets on the current DCL ships are 60Hz. The ship will always have one frequency, unless they want to invest in a whole lot of solid-state frequency drives, and that would be almost worthless.

If the ships are destined for China, they could be run as either 50Hz or 60Hz, it really doesn't matter, as long as all the motors onboard are for one frequency or the other. To change frequency, all you need to do is run the generator at a different speed. It's relatively easy to do, but then you have to replace all the motors, to get them to run at the proper speed again. This is for equipment not in the cabins, but everything around the ship. Also, any device that uses an electromagnetic coil (power contactors, control relays, solenoid valves) around the ship will have to be changed, since the change in frequency increases their current draw and decreases their life. I've changed a couple of ships from one frequency to another, it's not something you want to do, it should be done at newbuild.

If the ship is 60Hz, then the Chinese hair dryers would run a little faster, or if it is 50Hz, then the US hair dryers would run a tad slower. It is noticeable, but not appreciable enough to affect performance.

And actually, there are some outlets out there that can accommodate several widely different types of plugs, I've seen one that accepts US, European round pin, UK, and Australian.

Here's one that does all those, plus more, plus China:

http://www.internationalconfig.com/catalog_pages/11162007.jpg

Whilst your here though! lol!

Do the Staterooms have dual voltage distribution boards? Asking as in if you have say 6 110v sockets, and only 1 220v socket, is the cabling capable of being switched from one supply to another? Obviously the 110v cabling necessitates a thicker gauge than the 220v when delivering the same amperage?

ex techie

One thing you don't want to witness is a 50Hz industrial washing machine go into spin cycle when operated on 60Hz. It tends to break the mounting bolts and start waltzing across the laundry.

LOL!

I am guessing this is something you've only seen online and not in person? ;)!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

LOL!

I am guessing this is something you've only seen online and not in person? ;)!

ex techie

Nope. I had to rope that bad boy until we could drop the power. We had studied the wash speed of the motor, and forgot about the spin speed.

To clarify from last night, not all motors would need to be replaced if you change frequency. The motor doesn't care. But you need to study everything that the motors drive to see if the designed load can be obtained at the lower speed.

Whilst your here though! lol!

Do the Staterooms have dual voltage distribution boards? Asking as in if you have say 6 110v sockets, and only 1 220v socket, is the cabling capable of being switched from one supply to another? Obviously the 110v cabling necessitates a thicker gauge than the 220v when delivering the same amperage?

ex techie

Generally, there will be an electrical room on in each fire zone that has the 220v/110v transformer for all cabins in that fire zone. Then there will probably be a panel for 110v circuits and one for 220v circuits on each deck, and then further, there will be sub-panels for each voltage in the sanitary lockers (the panel that holds the vacuum toilet mechanism, etc) behind the bathrooms that will have breakers for two or three cabins. So, you have separate feeds for each voltage from the fire zones electrical room all the way to each cabin.

Actually, wire gauge is determined by current load, not voltage. A 220v circuit powering an 1800 watt hair dryer draws 8+ amps, while a 110v circuit powering the same dryer draws 16+ amps. But for the same amperage, the wiring would be the same regardless of voltage. Generally, low voltage wiring (110v/220v) is rated for 300-500 volts, so the same wire could be used if the same size breaker is used.