Books available on Disney cruising

Cruz4Sun

I will be taking my first Disney cruise next March with my spouse, daughter, son-in law, his parents and our 2 darling granddaughters. We went to Disney World in 2014 and had a wonderful experience, in part due to some research and planning in advance. I would like to be well prepared for the cruise and checked out books on amazon.com. Currently available is "The Unofficial Guide to the Disney Cruise Line 2016" for $12.64 and "PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line and Its Ports of Call 2016" for $20.98. Has anyone purchased these books and found them worthwhile?

Thanks!

While I have not seen the 2016 editions, I have seen earlier ones.

Just be aware that ANY book is out of date by the time it is published. The authors do their best to be accurate and up to date, but things can change on DCL from one cruise to the next with NO notice. The books are really based on 2015 information in order to be printed and available for purchase by 2016. Thus, you will get the most up to date info on line.

Either book is decent and there are people who will swear by each. Obviously they are quite similar. (or were in earlier editions)

I usually use Birnbaum's' date=' wether it be for WDW or DCL. I find them to be good guides.[/quote']

Birnbaum's is the approved Disney book so it reads like a press release with nothing critical.

The Passporter's guides* are independent and they were the first to write a dedicated DCL guide. After publication, you can get updates off of their website so it stays relatively current.

* Disclosure: I helped write and edit the first two editions. I no longer get royalties.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the 12th Edition PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line guide from my library. Lots of great detailed information. I have found it easy to skip through to the parts I am interested in such as dining options and kids activities. Of course, I will still be using cruise critic for up to date tips and info.

According to the guide, nice slacks, a shirt and tie will be acceptable for formal night which pleased my husband greatly.

I picked up the 12th Edition PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line guide from my library. Lots of great detailed information. I have found it easy to skip through to the parts I am interested in such as dining options and kids activities. Of course, I will still be using cruise critic for up to date tips and info.

According to the guide, nice slacks, a shirt and tie will be acceptable for formal night which pleased my husband greatly.

ANYTHING will be acceptable for formal night per the lack of DCL regulations. Seriously, we've seen t-shirts and ripped jeans. Doesn't mean I think it is right, but it is permitted. Yes, a nice shirt and slacks will be fine; he can skip the tie if he wishes! Or he can go all out and wear a tux, or anything in between. His choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Currently available is "The Unofficial Guide to the Disney Cruise Line 2016" for $12.64 and "PassPorter's Disney Cruise Line and Its Ports of Call 2016" for $20.98. Has anyone purchased these books and found them worthwhile?

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. I borrowed each of these books from the library and found them full of great info for the 1st time Disney cruiser. The Passporter's guide was loaded with full color photos and had more information on excursions. The Unofficial guide was a little more concise which I actually liked. I just ordered the new release coming out in mid-April of the Passporter's guide from amazon.com to be delivered to my daughter so she and my granddaughters can spend some time getting excited about next years cruise.