Carnival Sunshine with Toddlers?

UsedtoBeKati

My husband and I are sailing on a Carnival Sunshine cruise to St. John in late June 2016. A few questions for those of you who have traveled with toddlers/a three year old on Sunshine:

1 - how long does embarkation take/were there any issues boarding? We plan on arriving later rather than earlier.

2-How was Club Carnival/Camp Ocean for your three year old? Do they have an orientation for parents/toddlers the first day?

3-What did you and your toddler enjoy the most about the cruise? The least?

4 - Did you take your toddler to one of the "premium" restaurants like JiJi or the Italian restaurant?

Thanks in advance!

My husband and I are sailing on a Carnival Sunshine cruise to St. John in late June 2016. A few questions for those of you who have traveled with toddlers/a three year old on Sunshine:

1 - how long does embarkation take/were there any issues boarding? We plan on arriving later rather than earlier.

2-How was Club Carnival/Camp Ocean for your three year old? Do they have an orientation for parents/toddlers the first day?

4 - Did you take your toddler to one of the "premium" restaurants like JiJi or the Italian restaurant?

Thanks in advance!

While our toddler days are well behind us, I will give you some feedback. We traveled on the Sunshine twice in the last 7 months. The first time was with one of our daughters who had a 3 year old. Below are my answers:

1. Embarkation for the Sunshine was smooth both times, when we boarded in February, we arrived at 11:30 and they were on zone 7 and by the time we checked into VIP they were in general boarding. So, getting there a little late you will be fine.

2. The do have an orientation.

3. Can't really answer this one.

4. Not by plan, but we ended up taking the 3 year old to the Steakhouse. There was not a problem, if they order something they said there would be a charge, but as I recall, there was not when the check came.

Thanks in advance!

We don't have toddlers anymore but may cruise with a toddler nephew, so I was paying attention to how friendly the Sunshine was for toddlers. Camp Carnival includes an outdoor pirate theme playground perfect for toddlers/preschoolers. I believe that, when it is not being used by Camp Carnival, it's open to families. Sunshine also has a splash area with small slides. And, they have the Seuss-themed activities. Along with the nominal charge brunch, they have a free family parade with Seuss characters and noisemakers. You march to the theater, where there's an entertaining Cat in the Hat performance.

1. We arrived early to board, but I don't think you'll have any issues. Parking at the port was across the street but relatively easy.

2. Carnival always has an orientation the first day and always gives parents of younger kids pagers. Security is very tight, and it always looks very fun. Like I said, there's an outdoor play area, which is a unique addition.

3. Sunshine has many features perfect for toddlers, as I mentioned above. The only challenge is if you want to go to a show, you often have to get there early. Also, the lunch options are amazing and there is plenty of seating in the back Havana Bar area, but the food options are a little spread out, which can be a challenge with a toddler. Lido does have fun hand-washing machines. :)

4. We didn't eat in the premium restaurants, but I think it's fine to take a toddler to JiJi or the Italian restaurant. Unlike the steakhouse, they're not really in separate rooms -- they're really part of the lido food area with barriers put up at dinner time -- so you would not be interrupting someone's quiet, elegant dinner, IMO.